Punkin Chunkin

Hmmm, don't know if I'd be interested in watching some "reality-based" twisted, behind-the-scenes type show. Reality TV really sucks.

I could be a minority in this - I love the NFL, but can't stand the player interviews, life stories, behind-the-scene dramas of it all - I love the game.

What I can see being done for DCI is: decide that you want a 3-hour block for Thanksgiving night and work your butt off to get it. It doesn't have to be ESPN - try A&E, or Hallmark, Lifetime, OXY, FAM, VH1 or any of the other two dozen channels showing "Everyone Loves Raymond" reruns. Anybody ever even try to talk to Oprah? Hell, she loves hard working kids/young adults. Like another had said, it's a fair bet that it was the channel that found the sponsors, not the Chunkers.

Get your 3-hr block, hire a host to explain some of what is going on, pump the crap out of the competition aspects and air the Finals you've just finished producing. While you're at it, push a "Shop DCI.org" for your stocking stuffers. You've already got the product, get out and sell it. If given the chance, then push all the behind-the-scenes goodies.

People love music and they love competition. Get it out there and prove that it is a whole lot more than your average high school band skipping across a gridiron. Minds of the viewers will never change if drum corps is never seen by the general public. Hell, the crowd at halftime went ape when a drumline came out for Nickleback - and the drummers didn't even do anything!

you forgot one thing.

someone has to pay for it

Is it really cheaper to do all of these Fathom events than to get 2 hours of national air time. Where the heck is all of DCI's corporat sponsors and partners?

Is it really cheaper to do all of these Fathom events than to get 2 hours of national air time. Where the heck is all of DCI's corporat sponsors and partners?

They're doing other things with $750,000.

They're doing other things with $750,000.

With the plethora of Corporate Partners, Tour Partners, Championship Partners, and Online Ads listed on the DCI website, a paltry $750k in partnership/advertising revenue is "all" that DCI is able to command? That is just enough to run a small business, not something that claims to be a MAJOR LEAGUE!

With the plethora of Corporate Partners, Tour Partners, Championship Partners, and Online Ads listed on the DCI website, a paltry $750k in partnership/advertising revenue is "all" that DCI is able to command? That is just enough to run a small business, not something that claims to be a MAJOR LEAGUE!

I think he means it takes $750m to produce a two-hour show, Stu.

Is it really cheaper to do all of these Fathom events than to get 2 hours of national air time.

In a word, yes. Renting out theaters = no where near the price of securing 2 hours of prime-time national TV air time. Plus, with renting out theaters DCI makes a cut of the tickets sold where as DCI would get zero for buying 2 hours of national air time.

While I don't have exact figures of what it costs to produce & put on air, obviously DCI is confident that buying TV time is not worth the expenditure since they decided not to do it anymore with ESPN.

Edited by perc2100

This article http://www.articlesbase.com/marketing-tips-articles/it-costs-5-to-200-to-buy-a-half-hour-of-tv-time-on-any-tv-station-693798.html suggests that a half hour of broadcasting space for a station that covers all 50 states costs only about $900-$8,000 per half hour. So according to those numbers, it will really only cost for 2 hours at most $32,000.