What Did You Put Up With?

The funny thing is that amongst corps members race just wasn't an issue. I think drum corps was one of the best multi-cultural social experiences of its day.

I concur with both statements:

• The proud motto of the Two-Seven drumline was taken from MacArthur Park. "The Marble Cake with Green Frosting" - black and white, covered by Lancer Green.
  • I am not the man I might have become had I not marched in drum corps with people who were different than my family and neighborhood friends.

Edited by Navillus WP

Sorry for being melodramatic, but it meant a lot to us the context of the times.

Edited by Navillus WP

Music, in general, was and always will be multi-cultural. Look at the music of Motown...it wasn't just "black" music, it was our music. The People.

Our corps had ONE African American and he was the nicest young man and we never thought of him as black...only as a Royal Coachmen, just like the rest of us!

That could have happened in a number of the Boston neighborhoods in 1977. I’d be willing to bet that today, that same neighborhood is integrated, and the residents speak against intolerance and praise diversity. Fortunately times do change!

Good point... I agree.

That was an interesting facet of drum corps back then... in the "real world" stuff was happening all over the place... race riots, various other things, etc., but in drum corps.... certainly the corps I was in, and in many, many other corps... race, religion, whatever were really not an issue. As long as you did your job and were a good corps member, it didn't matter who you were.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

How many drum corps participants would tolerate touring with out being priovided meals? I cannot recall ever receiving food provided by the corps: we fended for ourselves, paid for our own meals at rest area food courts, ate home-prepared sammiches, paid for own meals at restaurants, etc.

We made Burger King and McDonalds what they are today.

1 to 4 buses pulling in the parking lot. I loved reading lips of the workers..." Oh SH%T!"

1 to 4 buses pulling in the parking lot. I loved reading lips of the workers..." Oh SH%T!"

LOL, Phillipsburg, NJ had one of the few 24 hour McDonalds in the country in the late 70s and was huge. The MickeyDs is (was?) right off an exit on the highway to NYC so got a lot of traffic. If we (Weekend Warriors) had a show that way, the buses would stop on the way up (we'd be sleeping on the buses) and warn them "Tomorrow night.. about 2AM... 3 busloads.... BE READY".

Did that on the way to CT one year..... one of the MickeyDs flags was missing when we left. (It was on the flagpole by the building when we pulled up.) Still remember Larry Hershman saying: "I don't know who did it, I don't WANT to know who did it. But... in case someone saw you, we're stopping there on the way back so you might want to stay on the bus".

On topic: Put up with really crap summer jobs when I could find one. When you can't work Saturdays, it really kill your options. Thank goodness my parents thought the real life lessons I was learning with the corps was worth it.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I ate at my very first Burger King because of drum corps. The corporation just started into business. I asked for a hot dog, just to be a smart-azz.

Also, we stopped at Kemp's Hamburgers (which went out of business in early 70's), White Tower (few of them in Northeast), and Hardees (none in Northeast).

How many drum corps participants would tolerate touring with out being priovided meals? I cannot recall ever receiving food provided by the corps: we fended for ourselves, paid for our own meals at rest area food courts, ate home-prepared sammiches, paid for own meals at restaurants, etc.

Yup...fast food all summer long, pretty much.

We used to look for a location that had three or four fast food spots and we'd spread out.

One time our busses did pull in to a single fast food spot. The manager ran out before the busses even stopped with a look of horror on his face and waved us away! :tongue: