Had Aquinas Stadium been renovated and still be around today, do you think it would be the perfect place for a drum corps show? Championships?

I marched there in the early 70's and saw a few shows there in later years. What do you "old timers" say?

Had Aquinas Stadium been renovated and still be around today, do you think it would be the perfect place for a drum corps show? Championships?

I marched there in the early 70's and saw a few shows there in later years. What do you "old timers" say?

I loved it, rats and all....

I think Aquinas was an excellent venue. I also liked Bucknell's stadium.(was it Mathiewson). Hershey was good. Actually remember more not so good places, but had great shows. In the end, Aquinas and all the old Horseshoe stadiums seemed to be better.

I think Aquinas was an excellent venue. I also liked Bucknell's stadium.(was it Mathiewson). Hershey was good. Actually remember more not so good places, but had great shows. In the end, Aquinas and all the old Horseshoe stadiums seemed to be better.

Unfortunately, the stadium at Bucknell is not available this year because of the renovations and reconstruction (so no show there in 2012), but I've always enjoyed the stadium (Dietz?) in Kingston as well.

:ph34r:

I never got to march at Hollendar(Aquinas) - wrong era. I missed the trip to Lewisburg last season with MBI..

I always liked Allentown, even with the logistical nightmares. I thought that Towson State had a nice facility when we went there in '83 & '84 for ICA...Only problem there were the extremelynarrow streets in the surrounding neigborhood..I remember our buses barely making it through the spaces between parked cars.. :tongue:

I also have a fondness for Huskie Stadium in DeKalb, along with the Glass Bowl in Toledo..great venues..DeKalb has a bit of a shortage of hotels for a "championship" weekend, but I venture to guess that Toledo might have the right fit..Just guessin', haven't been there in awhile..just passing through on our way out east.

Here in Minneapolis, Parade Stadium was historic for having shows. 8000 seats on a side, all between the goal lines..and about 48 rows up from the track to the box..They tore down the grandstand and have replaced the old grass field with a field turf multi-use surface, but haven't build any 'real' grandstand yet..

I'm sure older folks may remember that place...with the skyline in the background.. :thumbup:

Then there's Whitewater....'nuff said! :worthy:

Pat

Aquinas was okay, but wouldn't be my first choice (though I did win both my DCA titles there). I think it might be too small if it were still around unless a renovation were to expand it.

I am somewhat partial to JFK Stadium in Bridgeport, site of the '66 and '67 DCA's, and several World Opens in the 1960's. Today, it has been completely renovated and has a gorgeous field. Neighborhood and parking issues work somewhat against it. Same thing for the Scranton Schools Stadium (not the Lackawanna County baseball park). It's a terrific venue since it's been renovated, but parking and surroundings are less than ideal, but not terrible.

Allentown -- Nice stadium, but that climb up to the field level from the street below with a drum is murder, and again, parking has always been a tough situation, but DCI East seems to thrive there.

Just one 'oldtimer's' rambling observations.

Edited by cabalumnidrummer

Aquinas was okay, but wouldn't be my first choice (though I did win both my DCA titles there). I think it might be too small if it were still around unless a renovation were to expand it.

I am somewhat partial to JFK Stadium in Bridgeport, site of the '66 and '67 DCA's, and several World Opens in the 1960's. Today, it has been completely renovated and has a gorgeous field. Neighborhood and parking issues work somewhat against it. Same thing for the Scranton Schools Stadium (not the Lackawanna County baseball park). It's a terrific venmue since it's been renovated, but parking and surroundings are less than ideal, but not terrible.

Allentown -- Nice stadium, but that climb up to the field level from the street below with a drum is murder, and again, parking has always been a tough situation, but DCI East seems to thrive there.

Just one 'oldtimer's' rambling observations.

Did you ever do Altoona? I think it was called Brass Impact.? The stadium there is Mansion park and looks, is pretty nice. Was pretty nice back in the late 60's/early 70's and now is renovated w/turf and great lighting/parking and surrounding area.Very similar to Scranton

Did you ever do Altoona? I think it was called Brass Impact.? The stadium there is Mansion park and looks, is pretty nice. Was pretty nice back in the late 60's/early 70's and now is renovated w/turf and great lighting/parking and surrounding area.Very similar to Scranton

No, we never marched in Altoona when I competed, and haven't with the Alumni, either, but I have heard it's very nice.

I recall the stadium where we did an exhibition at a DCA show in Chambersburg, PA a few years back, and it was gorgeous. It was a high school stadium, but it felt like a college campus. A few of us remarked that night that we thought it would be a good venue for finals -- but I heard from several folks that the parking was inadequate. There have been DCI shows held there in recent years also.

I always had an affinity with Hershey's stadium (especially since I live about 5 minutes from it) but always loved that field!

I agree Aquinas was a nice stadium as well as Bucknell.

Allentown was crazy, thankfully I wasn't marching a timpani when I had to go there, I could see how that would have been bad...toms were bad enough...I also remember having to push a big cart with the pit gear in 1984 up that hill (we didn't have a golf cart that year)

Scranton's stadium (Memorial, not Lackawanna) was nice to march in...but I seem to remember struggling with a marimba on the gravel lot when I did pit again in 1988.

I guess we can stipulate that the "carpets" we got to march on were pretty great! (Meadowlands, Boston College, etc.) :thumbup:

I always had an affinity with Hershey's stadium (especially since I live about 5 minutes from it) but always loved that field!

I agree Aquinas was a nice stadium as well as Bucknell.

Allentown was crazy, thankfully I wasn't marching a timpani when I had to go there, I could see how that would have been bad...toms were bad enough...I also remember having to push a big cart with the pit gear in 1984 up that hill (we didn't have a golf cart that year)

Scranton's stadium (Memorial, not Lackawanna) was nice to march in...but I seem to remember struggling with a marimba on the gravel lot when I did pit again in 1988.

I guess we can stipulate that the "carpets" we got to march on were pretty great! (Meadowlands, Boston College, etc.) :thumbup:

When you speak of "carpets upon which we marched, there's a high school field in Brockway, Pennsylvania - a very small town right off Route I-80 - that has perhaps the finest surface I've ever marched on. We did an exhibition there a couple of years ago and the field was phenomenal; it was like performing on a pool table.

It probably comes as no surprise that the owner of the company that installs such surfaces lives there.

It's too bad that the town doesn't appear to be large enough to suppoort a DCA show; you'd love the field.