What will WGI do?

guardrocks101

I think WGI will probably wait until all the units have registered for Championships before making any decision of that magnitude. World Championships registration deadline isn't until February, if I remember correctly.

With the low number of championship registrations this year, what does this mean for the prelim / semis / finals format? Like will they take everyone into finals in Scholastic World if they are at 15 units or less? Will there be a prelims / semis / finals format for the World and Open classes if the entries stay around the current number? I know this used to be determined by the amount of units in each class.

Has anyone heard about guards such as James Logan HS, Mission Viejo HS, Seminole HS, Rancho Bernardo, or Americas HS? Those groups all competed in Sch World last year but aren't registered. I know Avon is not doing anything WGI related. Is NorthEast Ind planning on coming back out?

With the low number of championship registrations this year, what does this mean for the prelim / semis / finals format? Like will they take everyone into finals in Scholastic World if they are at 15 units or less? Will there be a prelims / semis / finals format for the World and Open classes if the entries stay around the current number? I know this used to be determined by the amount of units in each class.

Has anyone heard about guards such as James Logan HS, Mission Viejo HS, Seminole HS, Rancho Bernardo, or Americas HS? Those groups all competed in Sch World last year but aren't registered. I know Avon is not doing anything WGI related. Is NorthEast Ind planning on coming back out?

I know for a fact that due to staff changes rancho Bernardo will be competing in Independent Open.. not sure whether they will be heading to WGI, it all comes down to money!

If I understand the WGI Manual correctly

With the low number of championship registrations this year, what does this mean for the prelim / semis / finals format? Like will they take everyone into finals in Scholastic World if they are at 15 units or less?

Most Likely, yes. Technically, they are not required to take top 15, but most likely would.

Will there be a prelims / semis / finals format for the World and Open classes if the entries stay around the current number? I know this used to be determined by the amount of units in each class.

Yes, definitely. The world class units requested three performance opportunities, so that will stay in place.

From what I hear, James Logan and Carmel will not be at WGI World Championships this year. NEI has not announced plans to return to the floor this season, and I believe Robby and Jill are currently working with Avidity (at least, they were last season).

Americas HS is scheduled to attend the WGI Southwestern Championships in Dallas.

Carmel's not coming either?! Do you mean Avon? I see Carmel is still registered.

I guess it took a few years, but the economy has really hit these guards now.

Carmel's not coming either?! Do you mean Avon? I see Carmel is still registered.

I guess it took a few years, but the economy has really hit these guards now.

News changes every day on things, so I could be mistaken.

Many folks are trying to figure out the $$$. School districts are having to make hard choices in just keeping staff. A trip to Ohio to play with flags in a gym looks excessive to outsiders. Just because So-and-so HS has been competing since (insert year), doesn't mean they HAVE to compete every year.

As it has done in the past, WGI will adjust and roll with the punches.

Many folks are trying to figure out the $$$. School districts are having to make hard choices in just keeping staff. A trip to Ohio to play with flags in a gym looks excessive to outsiders. Just because So-and-so HS has been competing since (insert year), doesn't mean they HAVE to compete every year.

As it has done in the past, WGI will adjust and roll with the punches.

Are there school districts out there that pay for winterguard? That's shocking to me. In my part of the country every band and color guard is 100% self-funded by fees and fundraisers. The only thing the school pays for is the band director's salary and the electricity bill in the bandroom.