Hornline Break Down

buckeyemusicman

I was wondering if anyone out there had a break down (roughly) on how many players are placed on each instrument in a hornline and what the part breakdown is?

For point of discussion, lets say the hornline has 80 members. How many Soprano's, Mello's, Bari/Euph's, Contra's?

How many on each part? Say 3 sop's, 2 mello, & 2 bari. Obviously there will only be one euph & contra part.

I know some corps have slightly different instrumentation. Just trying to get a rough idea. Thanks!

I was wondering if anyone out there had a break down (roughly) on how many players are placed on each instrument in a hornline and what the part breakdown is?

For point of discussion, lets say the hornline has 80 members. How many Soprano's, Mello's, Bari/Euph's, Contra's?

How many on each part? Say 3 sop's, 2 mello, & 2 bari. Obviously there will only be one euph & contra part.

I know some corps have slightly different instrumentation. Just trying to get a rough idea. Thanks!

But typically, the breakdown is 3 trumpets, 2 mellos, 3 baris (or 2 baris and euph) and 1 tuba ( 2 tuba parts if your playing JD Shaw arrangements)

Actually we split up the bari/euphs into 2 bari parts and 2 euphs.

80 person brassline...1 contra, 1 euph, 1 bari, 1 mello, 76 sops. Sops are broken down to

2-3rds, 1-2nd and 73 leads.....oops, hold on, that may be a little too bottom heavy, make that 1-3rd sop, 1-2nd sop and 74 lead sops. There ya go....balanced perfectly!! :thumbup:

• Like 3

Our hornline parts are:

Trumpets 1/2/3 Mello 1/2 Tuba 1 and some split parts I think? Baritones 1/2/3 (3rds inc Euphs)

Numbers wise in the UK with most corps your just happy with whatever you can get. Last year at KS we had 15 Trumpets, 9 Mello, 7 Tuba and about 14 Baritone/Euphs.

This year the numbers are up but I'm not going to announce them because we're still getting new additions :)

Well, when I marched 89 Regiment had:

25 Sops

5 Mello

10 French Horns

20 Bari/Euph

10 Contra

80 person brassline...1 contra, 1 euph, 1 bari, 1 mello ........ 1-3rd sop, 1-2nd sop and 74 lead sops. There ya go....

That comes out to 6 horns playing, and 74 laying out so they can squeeze off a few puny high Gs.

"Eighty Person Hoen Line":

HEY!!!! 'Back in the day', if we had that many people in the entire corps we were HUGE!!!!!!! Our hornlines went from 27 to 36, and anything over that was considered "Really Big".

The breakdowns varied but "Usually" ran something like 12 /15 sopranos, 3/4 French horns and 10/12 or so bass baritones. The contra bass bugles started showing up in 1963 and Dom DelRa's mellophones in 1964.

There had also been "Tenor" (Small belled) baritones untilized for "First" bari parts, but most of those were gone when corps went to "All Bass Baritone" bari sections.

Elphaba