Santa Clara Vanguard 2012

My first impression...sounds like something that is along the lines of Cadets 01 and 03. 4 different tunes that fit the title, but don't really represent a theme:

1 Old- Opener is maybe one of these: Young Persons Guide, Fanfare and Allegro, Candide, Festive Overture, Fiddler.....??..A favorite from their past.

2. New- Along the lines of what we saw with Vanguard in 08 and 11....Fits their character of being the Vanguard of the activity.

3. Borrowed- Why does it seem Cadets and Vanguard seem to play the same tunes that one played in years prior? Just a fun guess...But maybe this is what borrowed means.

4. Blue- Just a thought, but maybe something having to do with the Blue Devils?

Either this, Or it represents something a theme or quote during the big band years, or Tin Pan Alley Years....hence a show that features Gershwin, Maybe some Bernstein/ Goodman with Fanfare Fugue and Riffs? Mixed with some Blue Shades to close?

Last thought....it doesn't mean a show concept, but rather staff and direction. New, Borrowed, Blue ...Staff came from Bluecoats last year?? And that goes along with New. Old- Staff rettunring from 2011 and as always, Vanguard class and tradition.

Edited by Dmlkmen

Old-70s vanguard

New-MOAR KARL JENKINS

Borrowed-not really borrowed, but aaron copland would fit, although likely overplayed.

Blue-Blue Shades

I'm going with a tribute show to the recently defuncted Kardasian (sp?) wedding... :huh:

My guess is that the design staff really liked Spirit's 2006 show, as has been mentioned, and that they like a concept that has been overdone by marching bands for years.

That being said, I am sure it will be great, and the music will be much better. How could it not be with JD Shaw writing the book, and not having Key butcher perfectly good music. Yeah, yeah, I know 2009 was great, but it would take a real moron to mess up Appalachian Spring, all you really need to know is how to transpose.

I am pretty sure that Blue Shades will be in there.

So maybe the show's about a wedding, based on the lovely image :huh: they are using as the hint.

If it is a wedding show, there was a marching band here in Illinois in the early 80's that featured a wedding theme. Complete with a bride and groom walking down the aisle (50 yardline). The groom had a ball and chain attached to his leg(literally) as well.

• Like 1

I commented on this status last night on facebook:

Old: Fiddler

New: Tempered Steel

Borrowed: Gavorkna Fanfare (from cavaliers first title in 1992)

Blue: Blue Shades (could also go under "Old" as well)

• Like 1