Issues with Legacy DVDs..

So I decided to pull out the 1993 Legacy DVD earlier today and there are two things that have bothered me since the collection came out almost ten years ago.

1. There is an old saying when calling sporting events that you sometimes need to just let the game breathe and more or less let the game and crowd showcase the emotions of the environment. I was there in 1993 and still to this day the Phantom show was one of the most intense crowd reactions that I have ever witnessed. (Three standing ovations)

However, with all the shows from 1974-1999, you never really get a sense of the crowd reaction at the end of the show because there is the super quick fade out. I have never cared for that edit and would rather have not had the vignettes to allow for more room on the disc to show the crowds.

2. If you were to watch a movie or taped sporting event, you would not watch that movie in reverse would you? Why then do they still to this day release the DVDs in a 1-12 format? Perhaps why then did they not give the option to view in reverse? I wish they would have been the broadcast style format with the chapters included for individual shows.

Perhaps if there is ever a Blu-Ray release these two items will be addressed.

• Like 4

Perhaps if there is ever a Blu-Ray release...

If that happens, I hope that a high-camera option will be included for pre-2000 shows.

I have to say I agree with you on both counts. The DVD quality is great, but the viewing experience is better on the old VHS tapes they used to sell (800 Video Express?) and on the VHS tapes I made from the PBS broadcasts. There is a "being there" quality that is missing from the DVDs. And I would suggest that, rather than just watching the shows from 12th through 1st, I'd prefer to watch them all in order of appearance. I can't imagine that it would be difficult or take up much additional disc space to have alternate track sequence options.

I'll add that I would have much rather watch the announcement of scores than to hear Rondinaro and Cesario talk about politics and world events.

• Like 2

Just had to log in to say I strongly agree with all points above. Especially on the order, what a pain to have to watch one at a time in reverse order to see the show as it should be. SERIOUSLY, WTF were they thinking?!! Also, you don't need Legacy in the title as same problems are present on all DVDs and Bluray...

So I decided to pull out the 1993 Legacy DVD earlier today and there are two things that have bothered me since the collection came out almost ten years ago.

1. There is an old saying when calling sporting events that you sometimes need to just let the game breathe and more or less let the game and crowd showcase the emotions of the environment. I was there in 1993 and still to this day the Phantom show was one of the most intense crowd reactions that I have ever witnessed. (Three standing ovations)

However, with all the shows from 1974-1999, you never really get a sense of the crowd reaction at the end of the show because there is the super quick fade out. I have never cared for that edit and would rather have not had the vignettes to allow for more room on the disc to show the crowds.

2. If you were to watch a movie or taped sporting event, you would not watch that movie in reverse would you? Why then do they still to this day release the DVDs in a 1-12 format? Perhaps why then did they not give the option to view in reverse? I wish they would have been the broadcast style format with the chapters included for individual shows.

Perhaps if there is ever a Blu-Ray release these two items will be addressed.

I agree with point number 1. The crowd reactions are part of what makes drum corps so enjoyable (I'm mainly speaking from a performer's POV). I always look forward to seeing the crowd scream and jump to their feet.

As far as point number 2, I disagree with that one. Not trying to sound like an a-hole, but I like to see the best corps first or decide if I want to watch the other corps. I hope that doesn't sound mean, but it is what it is.

Edited by 2000Cadet

Cannot agree more, especially 1980. :thumbup:

ESPECIALLY 1990! WOW! tongue.gif