Help for a student

Go to a camp now to get your experience first so you'll be ready to go next year, people that always say next year this and next year that never end up going. Go for it and get the ball rolling if you can. Working out would probably help out to.

Edited by Armyscout

I'd say you should work on a few things especially, and they are very basic:

1) Basic tone production

2) Initial articulations

3) All other articulations

4) Flexibility - Also known as lip slurs.

This; but concentrate on the quality *while marching box drill at various tempos*. This is an extreme *marching* activity where sound quality has to be adjusted to swift movement playing havoc on your embouchure and breath control; very rarely will you do the old-school park-and-bark. BUT FIRST, I agree with Michael Boo; get a physical check-up prior to doing anything very strenuous, and get medical advice (from a sports minded medical professional) on a physical training program.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

I marched under the current Crossmen brass staff and what they expect/encourage isn't much different from any other corps: tone production, breath control, flexibility, etc.

Oh - and put EVERYTHING YOU PLAY to your feet. Everything. Long tones, articulation exercises, audition materials. Put it all to your feet. Between that and breathing...Actually, that's most of what I remember...So much breathing.

Get in shape. Because if things haven't changed, that staff had us running breathing blocks every day all the way through Finals. This is not only a musical challenge but an extreme physical one if you aren't in shape. Even if you ARE in shape, it's designed to push you physically.

Start running and start working on breath control while running. (In 4, out 4, in 4, out 8, in 4, out 16, in 2, out 32, etc.)

If you're a sophmore in HS I'm assuming that you're around 15 (give or take). It's a good age to start and I wouldn't wait. By all means go to the auditions. If you learn nothing else you'll learn how much you didn't know. That's the worst that can happen. You might even surprise yourself and make the corps. Always remember that most of the vets in DCI started the same way you did. Everybody was a rookie once. Also try to keep in mind the advice of some of the above posters in regard to fitness and PT. Most corps today take that pretty seriously.

Join an Open Class corps now,...............get the 2112 season in,...............besides some of the real nuances mentioned by others,.............you will be ready!

None of us will be alive in 2112! I know I know, it was a typo. Just kidding. :smile:

• Like 1

Go to a camp now to get your experience first so you'll be ready to go next year, people that always say next year this and next year that never end up going. Go for it and get the ball rolling if you can. Working out would probably help out to.

I would do a camp now, but the last camp for the Crossmen was this week I think. I just want to prepare and know my stuff so I can get the best experience out of a camp.

Join an Open Class corps now,...............get the 2112 season in,...............besides some of the real nuances mentioned by others,.............you will be ready!

They're going to need one of these. :rolleyes:

tardis.jpg

I would do a camp now, but the last camp for the Crossmen was this week I think. I just want to prepare and know my stuff so I can get the best experience out of a camp.

I would e-mail them directly and ask them what their winter schedule is. If you don't knock on their door they sure as hell aren't going to knock on yours.

Edited by Piper

if you want to experience a Crossmen camp this year, I'm sure you can go in January. The corps probably won't be set completely until February or so, so they will have other new people coming in as well. Then you would know what to expect going into next year.

But in general, as has been mentioned: get in shape, practice the basics (lip slurs, long tones, etc), and be ready to be pushed beyond your comfort zone and be very sore.