A Friend in Need

Neil Gargiulo, an alumnus of St Rocco's Cadets and the New York Skyliners (1963-1973),played baritone, recently suffered a fire in his home. The fire started in his garage and quickly spread to the entire house. He was taken to a local hospital suffering from smoke inhalation and was released a couple of days later. He got out of the house with just the clothing on his back, not even shoes. He lost everything - condo, car, Harley, clothes, all his Rocco's and Sky photos and recordings and mementos, everything you would normally have in your house. Insurance won't even come close to replacing most of it.

He retired as a Postal worker a few years ago in Wheaton, Ill. and is now living temporarily with his lady friend in St. Charles.

If you can give him a hand, I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated and also prove just how close this drum corps family is.

His address is:

Neil Gargiulo

35 West 363 Oak Lane

St. Charles, Ill. 60174

For Neil and his St. Rocco's and Sky buddies, thank you very much.

Just to give you an idea of Neil's pranks and assorted luck, let me tell a couple of quick stories.

He used to show up for Sky's rehearsals at Saldarini Post in Union City wearing a World War I pilot's hat, scarf and a pair of "Little Orphan Annie" eyeballs, with a goat-skin wine sack hanging from his shoulder. The sack was quite full before rehearsal started, not so much afterwards. Hy could not keep a straight face when he went to work with the baritones and Pepe wasn't much help to him either. One look at Neil in this get-up would have both of them doubling up in laughter every time. I never saw Hy lose it so much as when Neil went into his alter-ego and still played a mean bari.

Another time, we had a couple of parades the same day and rather than carry his uniform and horn to the parades, Neil thought he would dress in uniform at home and just carry his horn. So, there we are after the last gig, having a few adult beverages before heading out to go home and Neil realizes he has missed his ride back to Brooklyn. Turning down offers that would have taken people out of their way, he decides to take the local bus back into Manhattan and catch the subway back to Brooklyn, still in full uniform, mind you. He gets off at his stop in Brooklyn and still has a bit of a walk home. It's very late, or early, depending on how you look at it and rather than just walk along 4th Ave, he notices there is little or no traffic at that time of night. He thinks "What the hell..." and puts on his shako and proceeds to march along the middle of 4th Ave. I don't think he played his horn at that hour, though. He didn't see the patrol car starting to follow him. The cops couldn't decide if he was drunk or just nuts. After questioning him, these fine examples of New York's Finest gave him a ticket. He was cited for 'Parading without a Permit"! Sometimes, that's just how his luck or lack of it went. Yes, he paid the ticket.

There are many, many more Neil stories out there, but I don't want to kill potential sales of an autobiography that he is in the midst of writing. I'm pretty sure that his future editor will think it's fiction and not autobiographical. Too much to happen in one lifetime, or is it? That's our Neil!

• 2 weeks later...

Just to give you an idea of Neil's pranks and assorted luck, let me tell a couple of quick stories.

He used to show up for Sky's rehearsals at Saldarini Post in Union City wearing a World War I pilot's hat, scarf and a pair of "Little Orphan Annie" eyeballs, with a goat-skin wine sack hanging from his shoulder. The sack was quite full before rehearsal started, not so much afterwards. Hy could not keep a straight face when he went to work with the baritones and Pepe wasn't much help to him either. One look at Neil in this get-up would have both of them doubling up in laughter every time. I never saw Hy lose it so much as when Neil went into his alter-ego and still played a mean bari.

WATCH THIS SPACE !!!!

We are currently TRYING to get a photo of Neil in this get-up posted here. Just want to show those of you who doubt the veracity of some Sky stories that it's all true. No one could make this stuff up.

We hope to get it posted real soon. Apparently, DCP doesn't accept all formats; even rejecting jpeg. Jim Stanko will get it cleared up soon, with some help from NanciD. Thank you for your patience.

Ray

Edited by Ray Priester