Portlandia

Maybe this is asked and answered somewhere, but there is a quick shot of a marching unit in the opening credits. What I can see is a snareline, tenor line, 4 basses and one contra-type bell front tuba wearing helmet-ish headgear.

Who is it?

Well they're clearly wearing kilts !

TCueF.jpg

Show is freaking hilarious, by the way. :thumbup: Major jokes at the expense of the "we take ourselves too seriously" crowd.

This looks like Granada Hills charter high school marching band from Granada Hills, California. I know they have marched in the Portland Rose Parade in 2005 and 2007. and I also know that they have done a few other commercials, Nickalodeaon Kids Choice awards, and some other things like that. So I am not saying it is definately them...but it looks exactly like them.

Their band director was a Freelancer back in 80' and 81'.....I think he was one of the brass soloists in 81.

TCueF.jpg

it's star of indiana

What? rolleyes.gif

Here is a bit of Freelancer trivia: They were in an eighties campy movie called Chattanooga Choo-Choo. You can see and hear them play on the platform at a train station.

I actually went to the theater to see that movie, because I heard (in Drum Corps World, I believe) that Freelancers were in it. The film was horrible, but the Freelancers were quite good (if somewhat dumbed-down – the arrangement of "Chatanooga Choo-choo that they played could have been much more challenging).

Anyway, at the screening I attended, the theater management passed out 45 RPM records of the Freelancers' performance from the movie. That's right, kids . . . one of those little black records with the big hole in the middle that you played with a needle. Unfortunately, I lost it somewhere along the way. Its probably quite rare these days. Oh, well.