Saving Drum Corps part I: Defining the problem

I would argue that a 12 year old is not able to properly evaluate what organization with whome they should spend the REST OF THEIR MARCHING CAREER!

Not to mention that kids moved from corps-to-corps all the time back in the day. Very few of the Cadets in my era started out in the Plebes and moved up. We came from various smaller corps all over the Metro area, NJ, NY and some from CT. I know of members from the first corps I belonged to in 1964 who moved up to St Lucy's from our smaller corps, even back then. Some went to Blessed Sac...some Garfield. Some were 100% content to stay with the smaller Garden State Circuit corps their entire careers. It just was not a completely static activity even then, just that the distances travelled were not often as far away as today.

I would argue that a 12 year old is not able to properly evaluate what organization with whome they should spend the REST OF THEIR MARCHING CAREER!

But I don't suppose that "who to stay with" was even a question then to most corps outside of the top 25 or so (remember there were hundreds of corps then). It was more about your drum corps family-some folks started in feeder organizations and corps loyalty was what kept some people marching at all. I really don't think that question became relevant to corps outside of the top units until the mid-late 80s. And even then, it was mainly due to the declining ability to march locally because of the collapse of hundreds of corps in the mid-80s.

The response you quoted was to this comment by Puppet...

I was making no value judgements on "then" vs "now", just that IMO the members of today, on average, are just so far ahead of the average member of my era it is not even comparable. Better training prior to joining, the audition process, the 100% dedicated time from move-in through champs, the presence of tech instructors for each section...all sorts of reasons.

I agree that you can't compare eras: different styles, instrumentation, average ages of corps members, instructional staff attention, HS band training (back in the 60s and 70s high stepping bands with 'hacking' drum lines were the norm). So I don't know if it's fair to say that modern members are farther ahead than past members. I also don't know if I agree that contemporary corps members have 'better' training. Perhaps-maybe more intensive, and more blanketing but not necessarily 'better.'

Edited by pearlsnaredrummer77

I don't know about anyone else, but the good ole days still exist in semi-familiar forms....

1.) I personally know of 2 parade corps within 100 miles of my area (and I'm sure there are more I don't know about). There are also several mini-corps, 3 alumni corps, and 5 all age corps.

2.) Every year these locally grown "parade" corps compete in Wildwood, NJ (I'm not sure of the weekend or the competition name so please help me out if you know). Usually this is the one competition where they all see each other due to financial restrictions.

3.) Mini-corps usually have the small-group environment you seek with very low costs. They DO compete at DCA championships and usually are instructed by some of the "back in the day" instructors, along with a few new ones. Usually tuition costs are low and they are willing to teach.

4.) Although the "Alumni" corps have the illusion of being tied to the existing or extinct corps they represent, many will take in local high school students or amateurs to fill out their rankings. Needless to say, the alumni (some of which "legends"), teach the youngsters the repertoire, which often consist of the exact arrangements played "Back in the day".

5.) Although the show design of the All Age corps creeps closer to what the shows of DCI represent, the membership is still 90% local with many admins and instructors being paid very small amounts. I know I personally make what it takes in gas to get to rehearsal and back.... Also, I have never in my short career as an instructor turned away any student unless they lacked the work ethic (not talent) to be part of the program. I'm sure it was the same "back in the day". You may not yet have the talent, but if you work on it you will improve, I will find a place for you in my section. I will take someone of that nature any day over someone with some talent and no drive to improve. I'll repeat, I'm sure it was the same "Back in the day".

6.) Many of these programs, including some DCI groups, will work with some underprivileged students with ambition to march in their corps or another that they may have associations with. Obviously DCI has changed since "back in the day" to an activity that does cost money and you must travel. However, if you don't make one corps they will quite often guide you to a corps more appropriate for you.

4.) Although the "Alumni" corps have the illusion of being tied to the existing or extinct corps they represent, many will take in local high school students or amateurs to fill out their rankings. Needless to say, the alumni (some of which "legends"), teach the youngsters the repertoire, which often consist of the exact arrangements played "Back in the day".

Backing up this statement. The two Alumni-types that I'm familiar with have two different philosophies with their music. One plays charts from when they were at the top of their game. The other had a skull session with their members a few years back and decided to play more than "parade music". Idea now is to play a varied book at standstills and have noticed more young blood showing up. LOL, many newer members weren't born when the competing corps broke up.

Both take in anyone who wants to put in the effort to do the job right with previous corps experience not required.

I don't know about anyone else, but the good ole days still exist in semi-familiar forms....

1.) I personally know of 2 parade corps within 100 miles of my area (and I'm sure there are more I don't know about). There are also several mini-corps, 3 alumni corps, and 5 all age corps.

2.) Every year these locally grown "parade" corps compete in Wildwood, NJ (I'm not sure of the weekend or the competition name so please help me out if you know). Usually this is the one competition where they all see each other due to financial restrictions.

3.) Mini-corps usually have the small-group environment you seek with very low costs. They DO compete at DCA championships and usually are instructed by some of the "back in the day" instructors, along with a few new ones. Usually tuition costs are low and they are willing to teach.

5.) Although the show design of the All Age corps creeps closer to what the shows of DCI represent, the membership is still 90% local with many admins and instructors being paid very small amounts. I know I personally make what it takes in gas to get to rehearsal and back.... Also, I have never in my short career as an instructor turned away any student unless they lacked the work ethic (not talent) to be part of the program. I'm sure it was the same "back in the day". You may not yet have the talent, but if you work on it you will improve, I will find a place for you in my section. I will take someone of that nature any day over someone with some talent and no drive to improve. I'll repeat, I'm sure it was the same "Back in the day".

6.) Many of these programs, including some DCI groups, will work with some underprivileged students with ambition to march in their corps or another that they may have associations with. Obviously DCI has changed since "back in the day" to an activity that does cost money and you must travel. However, if you don't make one corps they will quite often guide you to a corps more appropriate for you.

This is all very true. I don't care for what DCI has become, but go to as many DCA shows as possible. This past year I was sitting in the parking lot praying the rain would end in Kingston NY and noticed the corps members socializing. If anything it reminded me of my corps. DCA is much younger these days, and best of all no synths and still a few g horn lines. DCA also does a great job integrating Alumni corps into their local shows and the Alumni spectacular at championships. Plus at DCA shows I've seen some parade corps performing standstills. I would think that those of us who enjoy traditional drum corps would help to see DCA continue to expand into other regions. DCI, I think is a lost cause... It is what it is...

This is all very true. I don't care for what DCI has become, but go to as many DCA shows as possible. This past year I was sitting in the parking lot praying the rain would end in Kingston NY and noticed the corps members socializing. If anything it reminded me of my corps. DCA is much younger these days, and best of all no synths and still a few g horn lines. DCA also does a great job integrating Alumni corps into their local shows and the Alumni spectacular at championships. Plus at DCA shows I've seen some parade corps performing standstills. I would think that those of us who enjoy traditional drum corps would help to see DCA continue to expand into other regions. DCI, I think is a lost cause... It is what it is...

I personally love DCI corps for the product they produce with the students, but I think we all can understand the money that's needed to do DCI (Unless you're really good at raising money). That said, DCA is definitely more localized and open to new students. I personally know the pit is usually a good outlet for percussionists with no marching experience. Again, as long as they work hard enough.

HMMMMMM I have this debate with friends of mine both in DCI ( TEaching ) and DCA........whats traditional drum corps?...pick a decade to reference..is it before 1972...after....1960? 1940s? Before dance, trumpets, pits? non wool uniforms? seems like I remember hearing in the 70s from relatives in the 50s and 60s that it wasnt drum corps..maybe you can answer :smile:

Edited by GUARDLING

HMMMMMM I have this debate with friends of mine both in DCI ( TEaching ) and DCA........whats traditional drum corps?...pick a decade to reference..is it before 1972...after....1960? 1940s? Before dance, trumpets, pits? non wool uniforms? seems like I remember hearing in the 70s from relatives in the 50s and 60s that it wasnt drum corps..maybe you can answer :smile:

2011 is traditional drum corps. :ph34r:

Edited by MikeD