Saving Drum Corps part I: Defining the problem

2011 is traditional drum corps. :ph34r:

In my opinion, "traditional" drum corps is any of the music produced by a brass and percussion instrumental line-up. DCA, the Alumni & parade corps fit this definition.

In my opinion, "traditional" drum corps is any of the music produced by a brass and percussion instrumental line-up. DCA, the Alumni & parade corps fit this definition.

well drum corps has that....with some added things as shows have done to enhance the visual experience. DCA as well as alumni will follow Im sure as soon as the member of the past 20 years or so becomes the older generation within the activity. DCA competing corps sooner Im sure being that the age has dropped quite a bit over the past decade.

I remember 1978 as being a year that many corps were trying something new and the difficulty of a show seemed more important than entertainment value. It was the summer between my freshman and sophomore year in high school, I was still taking much lessons at the time and love classical music, so I knew just how difficult a repertoire that Phantom performed that year. I was in awe. Though never a bid Blue Devil’s fan, I respected their artistry as well. As amazed as I was at what was happening on the field, I can remember reading in “Drum Corps News” that entire summer that the activity was headed to Hell in a hand basket by writers I presume marched ten to twenty years earlier. Now I’m about the same age as these pundits were at the time, I long for the old days, praising the virtues of these corps and seeing their performances that year as traditional. Twenty to thirty years from now, 2012 will be old fashioned and we’ll be extoling the virtues of Crown, Blue Knights and the Blue Coats and claim “Angels and Demons” was the best show ever or the Blue Devils were robbed that year.

BTW: to the person who write 2011 is traditional drum corps, to some extent I agree. The shows I attended had a certain feel to them that I haven’t experienced in a while and it seemed, while very current, o also have a nod to yesteryear.

HMMMMMM I have this debate with friends of mine both in DCI ( TEaching ) and DCA........whats traditional drum corps?...pick a decade to reference..is it before 1972...after....1960? 1940s? Before dance, trumpets, pits? non wool uniforms? seems like I remember hearing in the 70s from relatives in the 50s and 60s that it wasnt drum corps..maybe you can answer :smile:

well drum corps has that....with some added things as shows have done to enhance the visual experience. DCA as well as alumni will follow Im sure as soon as the member of the past 20 years or so becomes the older generation within the activity. DCA competing corps sooner Im sure being that the age has dropped quite a bit over the past decade.

I have a proposition: the DCI crowd can keep their version of 'traditional' drum corps with the synths (and woodwinds that are fast approaching)... (We hearby promise not to allow horrid(!) bugles or any g horns anywhere near a DCI corps).

And in return, the DCI crowd agrees to let DCA, the Alumni and parade corps continue to provide exclusively brass & percussion music for the people who prefer that version of 'traditional'.

In this equation sounds like everyone wins. :smile::thumbup:

I agree that something has been lost with three valve B-flat instruments as opposed to Key of G. I would hate to see woodwinds in drum corps. While I’m not sure how a drum corps today is a drum corps and not a brass band, woodwinds, along with trombones and sousaphones do not belong in drum corps, and would completely ruin the distinction. Also, I say this as proud drum corps fan who played the clarinet.

I can deal with “the pit” in corps where the pit supports the show as opposed to “pits” that are the show. What does drive me crazy today are color guards. I wish we could go back to single sex guards that did little or no dancing and demonstrated real artistry with flags, rifles, and sabers. Leave ballet and jazz moves for the stage. Phantom: bringing back the “Rockford File” would bring the house down. A duel between Cavies and Madison for athleticism and artistry of their guards would be the next big debate. Again, I mean no disrespect to the coed guards who can dance up a storm. You’ve got more talent than I’ll ever have. I just wish we had a bit of the old days again and it’s been gone for so long, any corps that resurrected it would be original and creative.

I have a proposition: the DCI crowd can keep their version of 'traditional' drum corps with the synths (and woodwinds that are fast approaching)... (We hearby promise not to allow horrid(!) bugles or any g horns anywhere near a DCI corps).

And in return, the DCI crowd agrees to let DCA, the Alumni and parade corps continue to provide exclusively brass & percussion music for the people who prefer that version of 'traditional'.

What does the 'DCI crowd' have to do with letting DCA do something? DCA corps as a group decide just what they want DCA corps to be.

if you think DCA hasnt changed youre wrong and as far as the newer bells and whistles DCA will follow at some point...There are way to many cross over staffs and new and younger members that wont be ignored....Even alumni....i heard it just yesterday how some members of a very popular alumni corps are so sick and tired of playing the same STUFF from the 50s and 60s and 70s.My original question was to find out which decade because its funny one decade said the same about the next how it wasnt drum corps for one reason or anotherand how many people pick a decade on what they think drum corps is or should be.......I say just because its not the drum corps we may have marched in doesnt mean its not drum corps.....Why on earth do SOME drum corps people think that Drum corps is immune to any change and that in 30, 40 50 years that it wouldnt and shouldnt change.. HAsnt the rest of the world. Drum Corps ALSO in pleasing and audiance MUST please and accomodate its members and members today demand alot more of their experience than we did...thats a fact.

AS far as the equation that you think everyone wins.......Talk to many of the DCA younger members..and staff..theres MANY that wouldnt agree.

Edited by GUARDLING

I agree that something has been lost with three valve B-flat instruments as opposed to Key of G. I would hate to see woodwinds in drum corps. While I’m not sure how a drum corps today is a drum corps and not a brass band, woodwinds, along with trombones and sousaphones do not belong in drum corps, and would completely ruin the distinction. Also, I say this as proud drum corps fan who played the clarinet.

I can deal with “the pit” in corps where the pit supports the show as opposed to “pits” that are the show. What does drive me crazy today are color guards. I wish we could go back to single sex guards that did little or no dancing and demonstrated real artistry with flags, rifles, and sabers. Leave ballet and jazz moves for the stage. Phantom: bringing back the “Rockford File” would bring the house down. A duel between Cavies and Madison for athleticism and artistry of their guards would be the next big debate. Again, I mean no disrespect to the coed guards who can dance up a storm. You’ve got more talent than I’ll ever have. I just wish we had a bit of the old days again and it’s been gone for so long, any corps that resurrected it would be original and creative.

Don't mess with me please. I'm in a mood. signed, a person who had a mentor named Stanley Knaub whom had collaborated with George Zingali ... west met east, east met west

Believe me, I'm not messing with you. I'm from Boston. The guard of the 27th Lancers, where Zingali's early brilliance was first seen, is exactly what I'd love to see again.

Don't mess with me please. I'm in a mood. signed, a person who had a mentor named Stanley Knaub whom had collaborated with George Zingali ... west met east, east met west