Malaga vs Malaguena

Asking me to choose between a good corps doing either Kenton's version of "Malagueña" or "Malaga" is like asking me to choose between Johnny Carson or Betty White.

The main theme of each consists of the same 4 notes...

Malaga:

E..FD.., FEDE.., GFD..

Malaguena

EFG.., GGGG.FEDEF...

I like your take. But would it still hold true in today's multi-key hornlines?

Asking me to choose between a good corps doing either Kenton's version of "Malagueña" or "Malaga" is like asking me to choose between Johnny Carson or Betty White.

You better not be trying to equate Malaga with Betty White, Boo.

I'd rather hear Malaguena or West Side Story any day than a lot of the crap some corps seem to drag out from under a rock year after year thinking it's "art".

:worthy: You're trying to get on my good side there, aren't you?

Music selections improved a bit the last two seasons, but overall still way too much "Artsy crap found under rocks only known and recognizable to college music majors."

• Like 1

15585296.jpg

Has any Corps ever tried to actually combine the two into one song? That would be a crowd pleaser sure to produce a rare standing ovation today.

• Like 1

I would have to say it's a tie between 88 Scouts doing Malaguena and 95 Scouts

doing Malaga. I can't pick a winner. Both are equally awesome. I also put in

a vote for our (MSARP) 2006 performance of Malaguena...although I still kind

of wish we had done the full 88 ending rather than the 74 tag ending, but it still

brought the house down!

Depends on the rendition and the arrangement.

95 Malaga was epic. Whenever the Scouts did it (blanking on the year) in the 2000s, not so much.

88 Malaguena was epic. Not that 1996 wasn't, I just didn't dig the arrangement as much.

You mean the "Madisonic" show with Malaga. A total letdown, no push, no impact, no clout. No anything! Broke my heart, and I even had a friend along at East and said- "This should just be killer, it's a standard of the corps!"... NOT. Was a very exasperating experience.

What's the difference, both are based on Kenton Standards. Malaguena is from the 1962 "Adventures in Jazz" album. Malaga is from the 1971 "Live at Brigham Young" album, I believe written for a College lab band originally.

Personally- I prefer malaga, I think it's a little tougher to pull off, and Malaguena's been horribly done to death by some weak HS bands who couldn't find a groove even if it bit them in the....

Edited by BigW
  • Like 2