Malaga vs Malaguena

Malaguena is part of the Cuban Fire Suite by Johnny Richards, but Kenton made it into something big.

There is no performance of Malaguena on the Cuban Fire album. It's all original music composed by Johnny Richards.

We replied at the same time it seems!

You are correct, Holman did WRITE the original Malaga, and edit it just for the Kenton orchestra. I have that original chart and the score for the Kenton version

The original Malaguena melody is indeed by Ernesto Lecuona, but the arrangement Kenton made famous is originally by Johnny Richards.

No, the arrangement of Malaguena for the Kenton band was by Holman.

I can find nothing that verifies Malagueña was arranged by anyone other than Holman.

:doh: I'm embarrassed. Malaguena is not even in the Cuban Fire Suite(which is by Johnny Richards)

My mind was processing on La Suerte de Los Tontos, which should be done a bit more often, another great chart. I stand by the rest of my previous statements but strike that remark, no Johnny Richards involvement in Malaguena!!!

Thanks Mike for settin me straight.

I personally prefer the '95 Madison version of Malaga...one of my all-time favorites tunes in drum corps. I have heard other corps attempt it, including some DCA corps, but no one else seems to be able to put into it what the '95 Scouts did. I can remember the first time I ever heard them perform it, at quarterfinals in Buffalo-and I turned to my friends and said "FOURTH???? How in the #### did THAT come in FOURTH???!!!!"

:doh: I'm embarrassed. Malaguena is not even in the Cuban Fire Suite(which is by Johnny Richards)

My mind was processing on La Suerte de Los Tontos, which should be done a bit more often, another great chart. I stand by the rest of my previous statements but strike that remark, no Johnny Richards involvement in Malaguena!!!

Thanks Mike for settin me straight.

Hey...that's what I'm here for. :shutup:

And now an actual question, which corps other than Madison have performed Malaga?

Seriously? Besides Madison in 94, 95, 04 + 09 ----

1973 Argonne Rebels

1973 Blue Stars

1975 Oakland Crusaders

1976 Northern Aurora

1976 Oakland Crusaders

1976 Pembroke Imperials

1976 Titans

1977 Northern Aurora

1978 Blue Stars

1978 Titans

1979 Ventures

1981 Freelancers

1981 Valiant Knights

1983 Ambassadors

1984 Ambassadors

1984 Florida Wave

1986 Florida Wave

1989 Florida Wave

1998 Phoenix

2001 Chevaliers

2003 Dutch Boy

2011 Spirit of New Jersey

(from corpsreps.com) and not including DCA or international corps.

Edited by ozarkbugler
  • Like 1

First whats the difference and second which one do you prefer?

The difference? "uen"

The difference? "uen"

One in every crowd. Nice :cool:

Seriously? Besides Madison in 94, 95, 04 + 09 ----

(from corpsreps.com) and not including DCA or international corps.

Or the Minis or the Alumnis or the Service Academies :tongue: (never get used to seeing Annapolis, Colorado Springs or New Haven listed as DCI corps)..... :blink:

Edited by JimF-LowBari