Malaga vs Malaguena

Pull an old recording of '81 Freelancers' version of Malaga and bask in the awesomeness of Carl Allison's baritone solo, then the hornline just kicks the tune into overdrive. IMO Carl (who marched Sac from 77-83) was underrated as a soloist, probably because he was such a good drum major both conducting and showmanship-wise (he pulled double duty as the DM & soloist his last three years, if memory serves.) For his more recent work, he was our soloist in KAC in '07 and then Renegades in '09.

Edited by TRacer

First whats the difference and second which one do you prefer?

and for non sarcastic a-hole response...

I'd have to say that Malaga has been done in more ways with bigger differences from one chart to another over the years. to me that makes it slightly more interesting on the whole. But, my singular favorite of any chart between these two would have to be '88 Madison. That was my first year marching. They were the "good guys" and the under dogs all year and that circle move at the end along with the smokin chart that went with it was pretty special.

and for non sarcastic a-hole response...

I'd have to say that Malaga has been done in more ways with bigger differences from one chart to another over the years. to me that makes it slightly more interesting on the whole. But, my singular favorite of any chart between these two would have to be '88 Madison. That was my first year marching. They were the "good guys" and the under dogs all year and that circle move at the end along with the smokin chart that went with it was pretty special.

And the mello feature....with the cymbal frame. I guess I like it not as much for the music as the "in your face" of it. I can't think of any other 6+ minute piece of DC in my 30 years that has been a "moment" from beginning to end. The "reverse circle" at the end (which the high cam cut confirms was SO nailed) was just like...."see, we'll even do it backwards".

Soapbox alert: DC (like Madison 88) used to be the last bastion for "masculine" music. As we have feminized American society our music has gone right along the same path. Madison of old (and many others) was in your face, no apologies, take it or leave it, nailed to the wall drum corps. I am so impressed with what is on the field today, but this dinosaur misses THAT!

Another thread said that ESOM was the best Madison closer ever, but this one is my favorite. (No offense to my son and his brothers who marched 2011.)

If asked to choose, my vote goes to “Malaguena.” I like the melody better and I feel it is better suited for drum corps. I also don’t care which Madison version I hear, I love them all. As far as “Malaga” is concerned, it seemed that every local drum corps and band attempted in the mid to late 70’s, some with better results than others. I like “Malaga” and many DCI corps have done it justice, including Madison, but not quite the way Madison does justice to “Malaguena.” BTW, people mention the '88 and '96 versions as outstanding, but '78 and '80 have great moments too!

Oh please.................don't make me choose. I love them both.

Me too.

Classic Drum Corps songs never get old, tired or boring. These "Twins" are two of my favorites and could hear them every year and never get tired of the sounds of the "M&M's"

P.S.- See yall next season Bama, when we have a Quarterback.

• Like 1

BTW, people mention the '88 and '96 versions as outstanding, but '78 and '80 have great moments too!

The 1980 Madison "Squat and Blow" in Malaguena towards the end gives me goosebumps.

• Like 1

I'm still waiting for some corps to pull out all the stops with a wicked Malag(a)/uena Combo Remix

Don't tease me with the thought of that. Would like to see one of the Big Boys do it. I can see Crown doing somehing like that.

• Like 1

Seriously? Besides Madison in 94, 95, 04 + 09 ----

1973 Argonne Rebels

1973 Blue Stars

1975 Oakland Crusaders

1976 Northern Aurora

1976 Oakland Crusaders

1976 Pembroke Imperials

1976 Titans

1977 Northern Aurora

1978 Blue Stars

1978 Titans

1979 Ventures

1981 Freelancers

1981 Valiant Knights

1983 Ambassadors

1984 Ambassadors

1984 Florida Wave

1986 Florida Wave

1989 Florida Wave

1998 Phoenix

2001 Chevaliers

2003 Dutch Boy

2011 Spirit of New Jersey

(from corpsreps.com) and not including DCA or international corps.

You forgot the Cadets in 2003.