Malaga vs Malaguena

Stan Kenton Today (a live album ) just became available on Amazon. It contains Malaga.

As I mentioned in the Malaguena thread, Malaguena was a Bill Holman arrangement that appears on Adventures in Jazz. I have a copy in my hand and it definitely credits Holman as arranger.

I can also confirm that Holman is the composer of Malaga. I never bought a copy of the original appearance of the tune because the band was decidedly inferior to the 1961-67 bands and had no high note player. However, the Today CD has a very strong high note lead, probably Dennis Noday.

I suppose the two tunes could be combined into one arrangement, but I've heard each often enough to not want to hear either or both ever again.

Soprano Martin, I can understand how you could think Johnny Richards (real name Juan Cascales, born in Mexico) wrote Malaga, because it would certainly fit on Cuban Fire, but Malaga dates from the early 70's and Richards died in 1968.

If you are a Richards fan he made a couple of albums with his own band-probably a mix of Kenton guys and studio guys. Check on Amazon and Mosaic Records. I got a vinyl version in the early 90s from Mosaic. However I'm 180 miles from home, so I can't look at the player list.

Sorry, Soprano Martin, but you were talking about Johnny Richards's involvement in Malaguena, not Malaga.

Oddly Richards arranged the album previous to Adventures in Jazz - West Side Story, and composed the one after A in J - Adventures in Time. I suspect Kenton had him so busy with both that he didn't have to contribute to A in J.

Kevin Doherty

A little history on Malaga "From Stan Kenton - This Is An Orchestra" by Michael Sparke

"Roger Schuller,the jazz band director at Millikin University contacted Bill Holman in the late 60's and told him how much he loved Malaguena,and asked if Bill would write a chart for his jazz band that was somewhat like it.Holman came across a town called Malaga on a map of Spain, and that is how he got the title. Kenton went to a concert where Schuller's band played Malaga and Stan liked it so much he got a copy from Roger, so it came to the Kenton band through the back way. Malaga certainly received greater recognition through Kenton than it would otherwise have gained, and Stan played it frequently until 1974, but even so Holman's original composition never achieved quite the iconic status of the even more spirited and instantly recognizable Malaguena."

• Like 1

A little history on Malaga "From Stan Kenton - This Is An Orchestra" by Michael Sparke

"Roger Schuller,the jazz band director at Millikin University contacted Bill Holman in the late 60's and told him how much he loved Malaguena,and asked if Bill would write a chart for his jazz band that was somewhat like it.Holman came across a town called Malaga on a map of Spain, and that is how he got the title. Kenton went to a concert where Schuller's band played Malaga and Stan liked it so much he got a copy from Roger, so it came to the Kenton band through the back way. Malaga certainly received greater recognition through Kenton than it would otherwise have gained, and Stan played it frequently until 1974, but even so Holman's original composition never achieved quite the iconic status of the even more spirited and instantly recognizable Malaguena."

WOW! Thanks for the insight! :ohmy:

My vote is for Malaga. Malagueña has more opening fireworks, but doesn't really match that level of impact anywhere else. Malaga does a much better job of bombast as a whole throughout the piece, especially at the faster tempo.

Sorry, Soprano Martin, but you were talking about Johnny Richards's involvement in Malaguena, not Malaga.

Oddly Richards arranged the album previous to Adventures in Jazz - West Side Story, and composed the one after A in J - Adventures in Time. I suspect Kenton had him so busy with both that he didn't have to contribute to A in J.

Kevin Doherty

Yep, I admitted my brain fart. I had La Suerte in my ear. I shoulda known better :shutup:

Thanks, Dave. I really appreciate and enjoy when someone adds to the knowledge base in any topic. Fascinating info.

Martin, don't beat yourself up. Wasn't my intent to kick you. Just wanted to tell you I could understand how you made the connection, which the average bear would not be able to do.

Kevin