Malaga vs Malaguena

sick of malaguena and would really be okay with never hearing it again...so malaga, I guess.

I never get this. Everytime someone mentions malaguena some people chime in that theyre sick of it. Doesnt seem to happen with any other piece. Its not like we've heard it recently. The most recent d1\wc corps to play it was nearly a decade ago. Dont see the same kind of hate for say.. appalachian spring, played every other year forever now.. or numerous other ones that have been repeated at least as often if not moreso than malaguena.

• Like 1

I never get this. Everytime someone mentions malaguena some people chime in that theyre sick of it. Doesnt seem to happen with any other piece. Its not like we've heard it recently. The most recent d1\wc corps to play it was nearly a decade ago. Dont see the same kind of hate for say.. appalachian spring, played every other year forever now.. or numerous other ones that have been repeated at least as often if not moreso than malaguena.

This is just WC/D1 numbers as of the year it was performed

in the last 20 years Malaguena has been played 3 times by Cadets Boston and Madison.

in the last 20 years Malaga has been played 4 times by Madison

in the last 20 years Appalachian Springs has been played 6 times by SCV Cadets Crown Troopers Boston and Mandarins.

So you are right with the AS is played more.

My high school played Malaga as our opener in '10. It's a fun piece, but it can't beat the impact of Malaguena. Missouri State played Malaguena as our closer this year and it was a lot more fun.

This is just WC/D1 numbers as of the year it was performed

in the last 20 years Malaguena has been played 3 times by Cadets Boston and Madison.

in the last 20 years Malaga has been played 4 times by Madison

in the last 20 years Appalachian Springs has been played 6 times by SCV Cadets Crown Troopers Boston and Mandarins.

So you are right with the AS is played more.

Blue Stars also did simple gifts in 06, to add to that.

• 1 month later...

Depends on the rendition and the arrangement.

95 Malaga was epic. Whenever the Scouts did it (blanking on the year) in the 2000s, not so much.

88 Malaguena was epic. Not that 1996 wasn't, I just didn't dig the arrangement as much.

Both epic tunes. If I had to pick one, Malaguena.

sick of malaguena and would really be okay with never hearing it again.

I thought you'd be ok with Corps playing whatever they wanted to play and say if we think such music made us " sick " that such posters should keep this to themselves, Lance. I have no problem with you stating here that a piece of music selected or possibly selected by a Corps makes you " sick ". But would you do me a favor and afford others in the future the opportunity to express similar displeasure on something before calling them out as " haters " for simply expressing similar disgust with a musical piece ? Posters are not neccessarily " haters " simply because what you might like in music makes them ill when its played. Likewise Lance, you are not a " hater " in my view either for simply expressing your honest and frank opinion on a piece of music that if played might make you ill to hear it played again. So please Lance, lets not be so quick in the future to lapel posters " haters " for simply expressing contrary views than your own. There are " haters " sometimes on DCP. But its not by virtue of simply stating what music, if played, makes them " sick ", you know ?

Edited by BRASSO

that was a lot, brasso.

and alex, i'd say the same about a lot of dci staple pieces. they don't all get threads started about them, though. this one did.

i understand that a lot of people love malaguena, so congrats to them. sorry my opinion bothered a few on here who took the time to neg rep it. i've learned my lesson.

that was a lot, brasso.

and alex, i'd say the same about a lot of dci staple pieces. they don't all get threads started about them, though. this one did.

i understand that a lot of people love malaguena, so congrats to them. sorry my opinion bothered a few on here who took the time to neg rep it. i've learned my lesson.

Good form, Lance. For what its worth, I'm with you on this particular issue.( 'didn't red mark you ) I really like Melaquena and Malaga, but I won't lose any sleep if its not played in the on field show for... oh..... for maybe another decade or so, at the earliest. If some Corps wanted to play one of these maybe in an encore after the show, than that might work, for me anyway.

Edited by BRASSO

neither for at least 10 years

In DCI and DCA, no. However, there was a really awesome version of Malaguena played by a drum corps in Japan.