January 18, 2012

Mario P. Navetta

23 Howell Avenue

Fords, NJ 08863-1458

BklynMario@aol.com

732-636-4898

Re: Bob Bellarosa/ Halls of Fame Inductions

Ladies/Gentlemen,

As you might know, I am trying to gather the necessary information to have our friend, colleague, and, especially so in my case, mentor, inducted into several halls of fame. Please know from the outset, that Bobby warned me that he would sooner punch me out than allow me to do this while he was still alive on this earth. However, he did tell me that after he was gone, I could do so. And, while I say this half-jokingly, my intention is totally serious.

After having spent time researching the requirements and contacting some of Bobby’s innumerable friends, associates, etc., I still find myself lacking specific details. Unfortunately, so many contemporaries of “Da Kid,” have also left us. Consequently, I am reaching out to all of you (perhaps for more than the first time) for assistance.

Much of the required information is the same on all halls of fame applications. What I would like to do is to format a single data sheet that will satisfy all inductions. I’ve listed what I feel are commonalities. I already know a portion of the data, but certain elements e.g. time lines are, for lack of a better tem, sketchy. And that is why I really need you to help. Whatever you have to offer will be greatly appreciated. I am not looking for any “tribute” type information at this time, but I will need several of you to co-sponsor/support Bobby’s more than well-deserved admission to these honorary organizations. That will come later.

You can call, e-mail, or even write me. I would very much like to have Bobby recognized for all that he’s done as soon as possible. It’s already been far too long.

This is what I have so far. If there are any errors, omissions, additions, etc., please amend these.

*Junior Corps: William E. Sheridan Post (1945-46) Was taught to play French horn by Gene Rothstein (b.1929 d. 2004) of the Phoebe Apperson Post.

-1947?

-1948-1952 Holy Name Cadets

- In Army.

*Senior Corp: Joined Skyliners upon return in early 1950s

- Joined Hawthorne Caballeros (?)

*Instructional History: While I know that there were many corps that Bobby worked with, I’m really not certain as to who, when, where. I especially need help here.

*Judging History: Again, I don’t know.

*Administrative History: Same as above.

*Other: I do know that Bobby was an outstanding horn player. Way back when I hawked Eastern Review magazines for him, he used to allow me to wear his Skyliner jacket and his medaled from end to end overseas hat. As you might expect, I was his greatest salesman. The hat was placed in the coffin of his great friend, Joe Carullo.

-Member of Buglers Hall of Fame. The only reason that Bobby allowed this, was because it was involuntary – and he loved being a part of it.

-Publisher of Eastern Review/Heritage magazine.

-Produced hundreds of records, tapes, CDs. More than a few of these are sole existing copies.

- Published detailed pictorial volumes of drum and bugle corps history.

- Curator of The Original Drum and Bugle Corps Hall of Fame. No one came close to amassing the treasures that are representative of what we once were.

* Bobby, the Man: None of us could say enough about him.

And that’s it! What with some illness, family obligations, the holidays, and allowing an appropriate period for Bobby’s family to settle his affairs, I’ve had to hold off on this project. Now, I want to expedite this as best I can with your help.

Sincerely…………mario

Based on their history within the activity and their longevity, why can't folks like Bobby Bellarosa and, yes, Moe Knox, be elected to the various Halls of Fame by a general acclamation???? For crying out loud, both of these men have been nominated numerous times by now. How about it??

I think if I hear one more time, 'they made money off drum corps', I might puke! EVERY member of the World Hall of Fame that has been an instructor, judge, or organization president (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) made money off drum corps. THAT excuse has become quite lame.

Cossetti- anything you can do on this count??????????

Ray

Edited by Ray Priester
  • Like 1

Since I know little more than what has been posted here, I can be of little help...

I can tell you that when this snot nosed kid on French Horn ventured to the Metropolis to compete in individual's contests, only two people took me under their wing and gave encouragement (and probably realized how young and scared I was)... Those 2 people were Bobby Thompson and Bobby "Kid" Bellarosa - who I was always competing against...

Over these 50 plus years he would never forget and always had a kind thing to say when we met. He was a great one...

Since I know little more than what has been posted here, I can be of little help...

I can tell you that when this snot nosed kid on French Horn ventured to the Metropolis to compete in individual's contests, only two people took me under their wing and gave encouragement (and probably realized how young and scared I was)... Those 2 people were Bobby Thompson and Bobby "Kid" Bellarosa - who I was always competing against...

Over these 50 plus years he would never forget and always had a kind thing to say when we met. He was a great one...

RAY...I totally agree with your opinion that there are certain people who deserve induction via acclamation. But, given that,I will follow the procedure. After all, how many Mos or Bobbys will we ever know? In any case, I'm well on my way to putting it all together. Grazie

TOM P. Your tale exemplified "Da Boss" Thank you........mario

ALL....even a sentence or two will be appreciated........m

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

No disagreement here. No say on the issue, just an opinion. Mario has been very eloquent and hard working on Mr. Bellarossa's behalf. I don't know how anyone could disagree other than that the process has to be followed, but there may be barriers and maybe they should be changed. Don't know what they are.

Tom, totally with you. When I was a kid instructor ( I was the kid -14) in the early 60's I tried to lift every lick I could from Bobby Thompson. but also Les Parks. et. al.

Ray, I am appalled that anyone resents instructors being paid for teaching. I have done plenty of unpaid volunteer work, e.g United Way, Boy Scouts and so on, but I made three times as much money as our highly talented musician-instructors. We have to give back. I'm not bragging, just trying to support our musical leaders, and I do provide financial support. Even $5 a month is more than zero.

Kevin

Ray, you and most folks on DCP that know me also know where I stand on this. It was Kid's wish that he not be put into the system while he was alive....even tho many of us wished to do so. I feel that most members of the board may have the same feelings as I, even tho I haven't been a board member for over 2 years.

What Mario has done is compose an incredible history of this special guy. He'll use the correct procedures to get Bobby into the process. I don't think there's a member who would not vote for him.

Also, since he specifically instructed that he not be submitted while alive, I don't believe there were and nomination documents submitted. No conspiracy.....hell, I feel the same way about Moe. He actually took shots of me that made me look almost tall

Guido

Based on their history within the activity and their longevity, why can't folks like Bobby Bellarosa and, yes, Moe Knox, be elected to the various Halls of Fame by a general acclamation???? For crying out loud, both of these men have been nominated numerous times by now. How about it??

I think if I hear one more time, 'they made money off drum corps', I might puke! EVERY member of the World Hall of Fame that has been an instructor, judge, or organization president (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) made money off drum corps. THAT excuse has become quite lame.

Cossetti- anything you can do on this count??????????

Ray

Edited by Jimbalaya

ALL...thanks so very much for your support and thoughtful words.Needless to say, I too wish that Bobby would be inducted in *every* HoF, via acclimation. I've done The Cadets, Pennsylania, and (Say a prayer!)DCI. Mass, NJ, and WDCHoF will have to wait until next year. To be perfectly honest, I thought it might be otherwise, but that's okay;unlike the Reublican prmaries,no one could compete against "Da Kid."

Again, my sincer thanks to everyone. The waiting period will have a party for each of Bobby's inductions.

Stay well........mario

• Like 1

Ray, you and most folks on DCP that know me also know where I stand on this. It was Kid's wish that he not be put into the system while he was alive....even tho many of us wished to do so. I feel that most members of the board may have the same feelings as I, even tho I haven't been a board member for over 2 years.

What Mario has done is compose an incredible history of this special guy. He'll use the correct procedures to get Bobby into the process. I don't think there's a member who would not vote for him.

Also, since he specifically instructed that he not be submitted while alive, I don't believe there were and nomination documents submitted. No conspiracy.....hell, I feel the same way about Moe. He actually took shots of me that made me look almost tall

Guido

Jim, I have been following this theme for several months. and Mario has made it clear that Mr. Dellarossa didn't wan't consideration during his lifetime. I have talked (chatted)to a few others, e.g Andy Lisko, who were also aware of his wishes.

You are all to be commended for honoring his wishes.

Kevin