Multi Phonics

Stradivarius

Since I am currently unable to private lessons and am well ahead of my peers, I have been trying to expand my musical abilities on my own!

So I've been teaching myself to do the whole multi phonics thing, and so far I can Play a Bb, hum the Bb and slide up to a third, 5th, and sometimes

I can pull off an octave. Anybody have some good tips?

Since I am currently unable to private lessons and am well ahead of my peers, I have been trying to expand my musical abilities on my own!

So I've been teaching myself to do the whole multi phonics thing, and so far I can Play a Bb, hum the Bb and slide up to a third, 5th, and sometimes

I can pull off an octave. Anybody have some good tips?

Believe it or not this is not meant to be douchey.

Practice it. You will get better.

Edited by Stradivarius

Haha, that is usually the answer to most musical devices :tongue:

Edited by Stradivarius

It's kind of like being able to pat your head and rub your stomach at the same time: you're trying to do two related but different things at once and it takes a bit to train your brain to coordinate them. But as in the case of those two actions, once you've done it, you're usually left asking yourself why you took the time.

It's also a lot harder on smaller mouthpieces than it is on larger ones, for whatever reason.

It's kind of like being able to pat your head and rub your stomach at the same time: you're trying to do two related but different things at once and it takes a bit to train your brain to coordinate them. But as in the case of those two actions, once you've done it, you're usually left asking yourself why you took the time.

It's also a lot harder on smaller mouthpieces than it is on larger ones, for whatever reason.

Absolutly agree. I tried it on a trumpet and found it to be much more difficult.....However a tuba is the most fun instrument to do it on!

I started practicing multiphonics on a mouthpiece by itself and then adding it to the horn. That helped a lot. The key to sounding good is singing in tune. Easier said than done. Also, the larger the mouthpiece, the better you'll sound.

• Like 1

I started practicing multiphonics on a mouthpiece by itself and then adding it to the horn. That helped a lot. The key to sounding good is singing in tune. Easier said than done. Also, the larger the mouthpiece, the better you'll sound.

Never thought of that.....Thanks for the tip! I hope it helps!

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday at my Jazz Band rehearsal, my instructer explained to us what growling is! You just make a, well, growling noise in your throat! It sounds wicked cool, and I plan on using it in some of my future improv solos. This is pretty much just another version of multi-phonics right?

• 5 months later...

As a warm-up I will play F and sing the 5,6,4,5 then go down half a step. Then I'll do low F in 5th's and go up in half steps.

It's a fun tool and will help with ear training.

Also, from what I've heard from teachers is it works better because on the harmonic series the notes are further apart and so lower horns sound better with notes that are further apart.