Onyx 2012, SCV, Flanagan Braddock.. etc..

thedova

In regards to West Broward being "tacky" - I think that it is completely subjective to a persons personal taste. I did not like Zydeco in 2008, but I did like Alter Ego in 2008. Why? I just liked Alter Ego's interpretation better. Personal opinion. I expect that, when I see West Broward, I will either like it or not like it for the same reason - does it meet my personal taste or not?

Personal opinion is just that - personal opinion. If you don't like it, fine, I don't really care.

As for Braddock - can't wait to see them! : )

• Like 1

This is probably a show that will go down in WGI history. Flanagan is a definite gold medal contender.

This may sound mean but of course Flanagan is a gold medalist contender. Because look how many units there are in SW, not many and with James Logan and Avon not going....Flanagan's only true competetion (I feel) is Carmel.

• Like 1

When you say Flanagan and Carmel are the only contenders in Scholastic World you are forgetting one other guard. A guard that currently has the highest score in the country (and I know you cannot compare scores from one circuit to the next), however don't count Trumbull out of the race for gold this year.

• Like 1

I hear they arent the guard of last year...........whatever that means......lol

Who IS the guard of the year prior? Members always come and go. Though, I'm willing to bet with the unfortunate series of events with Premonition not coming out we'll see some of those members on the floor with Braddock this year. If not there than probably some other South Florida guards. Who knows where they all went, if they went anywhere at all? blink.gif

When you say Flanagan and Carmel are the only contenders in Scholastic World you are forgetting one other guard. A guard that currently has the highest score in the country (and I know you cannot compare scores from one circuit to the next), however don't count Trumbull out of the race for gold this year.

Trumbull could be a contender, but their weapon line always carries the show. If they have a flag line that's just as good as their weapons - they'd be UNSTOPPABLE. I'd love to see someone else other than the usual names being up in the top. It's about time things got changed around!

I'm excited for Scholastic World. Hoping more units sign up though..

• Like 1

James Logan signed up for WGI championships this morning. Looks like the only medalist contender not attending this year is Avon.

• Like 1

In regards to West Broward being "tacky" - I think that it is completely subjective to a persons personal taste.

Personal opinion is just that - personal opinion. If you don't like it, fine, I don't really care.

Let me put it this way...

Beatrix 2011 was an absolutely beautiful and tasteful program that was explicitly about a historical catastrophe. And I typically don't even like shows that are so literal... but they pulled it off so well because they didn't try and turn a serious subject matter into an abstraction.

Zydeco... 2009, was it? did a show about 9/11. I didn't really care for it, but it was well designed. It didn't make me roll my eyes. It was "classy" and considered.

West Broward... I don't know. Who are the performers? What are they representing? What is the significance of the colors, the motifs? It's confusing as a result of "9/11" being in the title of the program. I wish I could've captured the confusion in the audience's eyes when the speaker announced that.

On the other hand... great spinners. Great performers. There were definitely some stellar moments and well-executed phrases. Just wish they would have kept their rhythm.

• Like 1

To be honest, it all comes down to how 9/11 affected you as a person. 9/11 affected my family pretty hard. It was a really, really tough time. In result of that I can't really watch any shows about that event. Not Zydeco. Not West Broward. Not anyone. It's a sensitive subject for me as a person, and no matter how good those performers may be, it's just a show that's going to bring me back to a time that I'd rather not go back to.

Granted, if they're live and in front of me, I'll watch and cheer. I'll be a good sport. (Because why would we not support anyone that is in this activity that we love so much?)

But when it comes time for FanNetwork, YouTube or the DVD... I just simply pass over it.

I think it's all about personal preference there, folks.

All just in my opinion though.

• Like 2

Not another 9/11 show. :( The Flight 93 show was good, I have to admit. However, I believe any 9/11 show runs the risk of teetering on the edge of emotional pandering solely based on the subject matter's very nature. I'm not stating a show about 9/11 automatically qualifies as emotional pandering. It's just...well... how many times to do we have to pull the scab off with another 9/11 tribute, television special, Broadway show, movie, etc.? More grating to me is that certain Americans seem to wear this 9/11 badge, waving the "woe is us Americans, we are so persecuted" flag. To me, that kind of attitude is so incredibly arrogant, especially since many of these same people who've adopted such an attitude tend to come from more advantaged backgrounds and so, generally have had a pretty good life in terms of standard of living, security, and comfort.

In fact, one bad day in our history is nothing compared to the incredible suffering that has and continues to go on in the world, from disease, to the grinding poverty of living on a dollar or less a day with no access to clean water, to civil strife, etc. The list goes on and on. So our nation experiences one really, really, bad day and now, for some people anyway, 9/11 has been turned into some central part of our national identity. I realize many people suffered greatly that day in a variety of ways, but in the larger scheme of things, one dark day in our history does not and should not turn us into a slighted nation that feels victimized. I realize there are many ways to approach an artistic handling of 9/11, and I'm not criticizing any particular show. I'm also not suggesting any 9/11 show this year or next, or five years from now necessarily seeks to wear the badge of victim-hood described above, but 9/11 shows in the pageantry arts generally work to feed the victimization beast, unintentional though it may be. This is especially true since the subject matter has been tackled before... it's like, um... enough already, thank you.

On second thought, perhaps there *is* room for another 9/11 inspired show, say, one about the 19 hijackers... a show from their perspective, perhaps? (I assume this hasn't been done yet, but who knows... don't go to many shows anymore). Yes, it would be incredibly controversial, but it would also be wildly thought-provoking and fresh. Granted, perhaps it would pander in another direction (borrowing obvious controversy), but at least it would be something bold. I'm certainly not saying the hijackers deserve a platform, but what about exploring their mindset.... tackling what would cause them to do something so heinous? That's something we as a nation fail to ponder enough imo. But back to my original point... there's only so many ways to re-package a day we've all lived and re-lived so many times. It's kind of like the old argument about guards who wear masks or heavy make-up and how much GE credit they should be given for the expressiveness the masks or make-up help to convey when these units and designers are essentially letting the piece of costume or paint do the work of expressing. In this case, a show about 9/11 is kind of like the mask because such a theme does a lot of the work automatically by setting an audience (and judges, too) up for a reaction that is quite easy to evoke based on the powerful emotional responses that day created.

Edited by ordsw24

I saw a video of Onyx - I really like it! It's very interesting and the music is somewhat striking - calm yet powerful. While I don't have any clue how they will fare come April, I can say that I will watch them with eager anticipation and I expect to enjoy them : )