The Edge - Today's the day

I think these people deserve alot of credit for doing what they did and from us deserve KUDOS , now with that said , it wasn't that long ago where there was a debate here or in the DCI section if this group was a goood representation of the activity or just good enough. Now this has nothing to do with KUDOS that should be given but there was a debate just amoung those of us who know and love the activity. We tend to look at our activity through rose colored glasses sometimes. Im not saying they didn't deserve to move forward and unless we were there or saw a tape none of us could i guess.

WE are a hard niche to sell , thats for sure

Edited by GUARDLING

Glad I don't watch shows like this....

This is a show that selected Howard Stern as a judge of...... talent.

That pretty much sums it up for me. What else does anybody need to know beyond that ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

That pretty much sums it up for me. What else does anybody need to know beyond that ?

William (is he putting us on or is he that delusional?) Hung

Yeah 'American Idol' but same idea....

What many of you say is very, very true about the nature of Reality TV.

I saw a presentation on it in a Music Business class, and the presenter discussed how they want DRAMA, and a "compelling story" from the performers. Stuff like how they have four kidneys and donated three to their cousins and work 7 menial full time jobs to feed the neighborhood kids because they're all destitute, or how they beat an addiction to Frosted Flakes and are a recovering cerealholic. Unfortunately- they were obviously not going to get that out of a group of folks like this one so it was doomed. The performers in this group are all too mainstream, normal folks and professional musicians.

I truthfully didn't expect much from the TV folks. I admire and respect DB's pluck and absolute sincerity in trying to present the activity to the mainstream, but I have been personally very content to accept it's a niche activity full of very decent and good people who are fine artists and musicians that while deserving better, aren't going to get the respect or interest of so-called "pop culture" people and the publicity mill more attuned to Spears, Minaj, and Gaga with their outlandish costumes, freakish, controversial music and lifestyles.

Another issue discussed frequently in the Music Business class is the hunger out there for good live music and performances of all kinds. From what was discusssed in the class-- The Edge's strategy with Facebook is very solid, and they prolly need to get some video/audio up and keep performing at various venues and attempting to develop some kind of a fan base outside of the activity. If they can get any traction at all, it'd be a very good thing. At least an honest attempt was made.

If this organization can succeed, all the more respect. It's a nasty, uphill fight. I don't have any rose colored illusions about their chances of success in this no matter how quality they are and how much folks like us like them.

• Like 4

William (is he putting us on or is he that delusional?) Hung

Yeah 'American Idol' but same idea....

America's Got Talent 3 judge Panel " talent " to judge other talent :

1) Howie Mandel

2) Sharon Osbourne

3) Howard Stern

Things have really gone down hill in the quality of the " talent " judging other talent when this show lost the brilliant Shakespearean actor David Hasselhoff.... ( although the 3 judges they currently have are certainly capable of doing a decent job while under the influence of alcohol combined with exotic pharmaceuticals too, it would seem to me. )

Edited by BRASSO

I think these people deserve alot of credit for doing what they did and from us deserve KUDOS , now with that said , it wasn't that long ago where there was a debate here or in the DCI section if this group was a goood representation of the activity or just good enough. Now this has nothing to do with KUDOS that should be given but there was a debate just amoung those of us who know and love the activity. We tend to look at our activity through rose colored glasses sometimes. Im not saying they didn't deserve to move forward and unless we were there or saw a tape none of us could i guess.

WE are a hard niche to sell , thats for sure

amen. props to The Edge for taking the shot

• Like 2

the guys actually a pretty shrewd judge of pop culture.

let's face it...drum corps isn't pop culture.

it's a niche activity within a nice genre

• Like 3

America's Got Talent 3 judge Panel " talent " to judge other talent :

1) Howie Mandel

2) Sharon Osbourne

3) Howard Stern

Things have really gone down hill in the quality of the " talent " judging other talent when this show lost the brilliant Shakespearean actor David Hasselhoff.... ( although the 3 judges they currently have are certainly capable of doing a decent job while under the influence of alcohol combined with exotic pharmaceuticals too, it would seem to me. )

yeah Sharon's only launched some bands that made big bucks, plus manages her husband who is still a top seller

what the #### does she know?

:rolleyes:

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 4

let's face it...drum corps isn't pop culture.

it's a niche activity within a nice genre

I'd agree with this assessment.

I'd agree with this assessment.

no disrespect to the Edge...I rooted for them...but to the Howard bashers, while he may not be your cup of tea, you need to know some things:

many folks in the movie and music industries have come to realize, if you want your product to sell, he's an interview you want your people to do. His fans listen. With his Sirius XM deal, people can now hear replays of the show all day,and then on the weekends too. When he was on Terrestrial radio, you had one shot M-F, 6-1030AM.

His fans follow his reccomendations. hell, I never would have watched AGT without him. Yes, he has his trash moments, but he's also a skilled interviewer. There's more to him than just sex.

But mis place your blame all you want. The bottom line is the Edge was set up by the producers before they ever hit the stage. I feel bad for them, but give them all the props in the world for taking a shot in the crazy world that is reality tv, where drama and trash sell more than anything

• Like 2