The Edge - Today's the day

I'm basing it off Dave Bruni's commentary....which I'll trust over TV editing any day.

as am I - you asked if anyone posted the video....it hasn't been broadcast yet.

well we may see it this week

• Like 1

Someone made a interesting observation over on FB that maybe it was Sterns early Radio days at Rochester. That he remembered Rochester didn't welcome him with open arms, and he holds a grudge, and the edge paid the price for that grudge.

Discuss???

• Like 2

Someone made a interesting observation over on FB that maybe it was Sterns early Radio days at Rochester. That he remembered Rochester didn't welcome him with open arms, and he holds a grudge, and the edge paid the price for that grudge.

Discuss???

Two negatives with zero discussion.

Tough Crowd. :sleeping:

• Like 2

don't remember him ever physically being in Roch. his syndicated show couldn't compete with the local Brother Wease, same genre

I really could not tell you. Sounds like by digging a little deeper that he was just in the ROCHESTER market not necessarily in the CITY of Rochester.

AS I stated in my reply I found the post on FB on the EDGE internet fan page. You can go there and read it for yourself.

To quote from the page.

" howard stern came into the rochester morning radio market, boasting that he would take down brother wease and the morning circus, who ruled the morning air waves locally for years. well, if memory serves me correctly, it didn't happen, brother wease continued his dominance. i'm thinking, he remembered that rochester didn't welcome him with open arms, and he holds a grudge"

So it sounds like he was there for a short period of time maybe and was not successful?

A quick Google shows he did have a radio show in 1993 in the Rochester area. This could be what the poster was referring too??????

http://www.brainyhistory.com/events/1993/february_15_1993_167886.html

Edited by camel lips
  • Like 1

Would he actually hold an almost 20 year grudge? Or are we stretching the perimeters of logic now?

Would he actually hold an almost 20 year grudge? Or are we stretching the perimeters of logic now?

I think Stern does what the producers tell him and we just learned a very hard reality of what really is a sucky show... to actually pre-select a group to fail??? how crass...

my solution? Never watch the show again...

• Like 4

I think Stern does what the producers tell him and we just learned a very hard reality of what really is a sucky show... to actually pre-select a group to fail??? how crass...

my solution? Never watch the show again...

As I'm sitting on my lawn chair, :withstupid: LOL

What many of you say is very, very true about the nature of Reality TV.

I saw a presentation on it in a Music Business class, and the presenter discussed how they want DRAMA, and a "compelling story" from the performers. Stuff like how they have four kidneys and donated three to their cousins and work 7 menial full time jobs to feed the neighborhood kids because they're all destitute, or how they beat an addiction to Frosted Flakes and are a recovering cerealholic. Unfortunately- they were obviously not going to get that out of a group of folks like this one so it was doomed. The performers in this group are all too mainstream, normal folks and professional musicians.

I truthfully didn't expect much from the TV folks. I admire and respect DB's pluck and absolute sincerity in trying to present the activity to the mainstream, but I have been personally very content to accept it's a niche activity full of very decent and good people who are fine artists and musicians that while deserving better, aren't going to get the respect or interest of so-called "pop culture" people and the publicity mill more attuned to Spears, Minaj, and Gaga with their outlandish costumes, freakish, controversial music and lifestyles.

Another issue discussed frequently in the Music Business class is the hunger out there for good live music and performances of all kinds. From what was discusssed in the class-- The Edge's strategy with Facebook is very solid, and they prolly need to get some video/audio up and keep performing at various venues and attempting to develop some kind of a fan base outside of the activity. If they can get any traction at all, it'd be a very good thing. At least an honest attempt was made.

If this organization can succeed, all the more respect. It's a nasty, uphill fight. I don't have any rose colored illusions about their chances of success in this no matter how quality they are and how much folks like us like them.

So, there's not enough drama in drum corps? Hmm...

They're not looking close enough, IMO.

Jeesh, just realized I'm a full page behind in this thread. If already beaten to death, OK to ignore.

So, I read the whole thread, and I still ask: Who says there's not enough drama? I'd like to know how close they looked.

For instance, there's the story of the kid who had half of his foot blown off in Desert Storm. After a gruelling, painful recovery back at home and with his foot still wrapped, he went to a drum corps show. Bluecoats invited him, he called his Mom and said "See you at break", and got on the bus. He marched the entire season, carrying tenors and soaking his foot in ice when he wasn't on the field.

You want drama?

Let's see, times 150 kids in a corps, times 43 corps...surely they can find drama.

The rook-out?

The 15 year old?

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1