The greatest ever "all star" Corps

Posts like yours make me go all :rolleyes:

Could it be that some people prefer corps post 1990?

I, for one, like many corps prior to the 1990s. 88 Scouts, early-mid 80s Cadets, late 70s BD, early 80s Phantom, etc.

Could it be that not everybody likes the same kind of drum corps you do? GASP!! Say it aint so!

I like modern Carolina Crown as well as the now defunct Anaheim Kingsmen. But the question was not Like (which is irrelevant to this thread), but defining the Best, the Greatest Ever; and the last time I checked DCI dates all the way back to 1972 not 1990; that was all I was getting at.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

I like modern Carolina Crown as well as the now defunct Anaheim Kingsmen. But the question was not Like (which is irrelevant to this thread), but defining the Best, the Greatest Ever; and the last time I checked DCI dates all the way back to 1972 not 1990; that was all I was getting at.

But in some people's definition, their best ever corps came after 1990. That's nothing against the corps of the 70s and 80s, but some people, myself included, think that most of the best sections came post-1990. It's just people's taste, different strokes for different folks.

• Like 1

But in some people's definition, their best ever corps came after 1990. That's nothing against the corps of the 70s and 80s, but some people, myself included, think that most of the best sections came post-1990. It's just people's taste, different strokes for different folks.

But in other people's definition of greatest or "best" it really does not matter if the horns were playing on G or Bb; or if the snares were playing on Mylar or Kevlar; or if the Drill was symmetrical or interpretive; the "best" to them is derived from any era based on various criteria such as quality, execution, difficulty, ability, and especially what they accomplished with less than stellar talent level, not just stylistic taste of post 1990 corps mainly comprised of University Trained Musicians.

• Like 1

visual Star 91

percussion SCV 04

Guard: Cadets 87

Brass: BD 03

I read the sub-caption to the thread title and for some reason I thought "section" meant sop/trumpets, etc. Actually...

Brass "All Stars" by section

Sopranos: 81 or 82 SCV (actually, both had most of the same members)

Middles: 91-93 Star, probably the same personnel

Bari/Euph: 81-82 Freelancers, 88 BD, 93 or 08 Phantom

Contras: 87 SCV or 91 Star; no credit for tuba lines doubled by a synth.

I won't comment on guard or percussion.

But in other people's definition of greatest or "best" it really does not matter if the horns were playing on G or Bb; or if the snares were playing on Mylar or Kevlar; or if the Drill was symmetrical or interpretive; the "best" to them is derived from any era based on various criteria such as quality, execution, difficulty, ability, and especially what they accomplished with less than stellar talent level, not just stylistic taste of post 1990 corps mainly comprised of University Trained Musicians.

I'm not arguing with you at all. Just saying that some people prefer pre-1990 drum corps, some prefer post-1990 drum corps. At least in the post-1990 era, you do still have 10 years of G bugles. It's just everyone's taste and thoughts on what was the best and had the quality. I still think 1987 Garfield was a phenomenal drum line, and 1984 Santa Clara is up there with the best hornlines in my book, and no conversation is complete without 1980 Spirit. So I try and bridge all eras. But for some people, it's when they got exposed to DCI, some it's when they marched, but some people just like more recent stuff. It's all personal opinion.

I guess I should at least get in on this.

Brass: 09/1984 SCV

Percussion: 1987 Garfield/1998 SCV

Guard: Probably BD 2011 or Phantom 1978

Visual: Star 1991

Conductor: Tommy/Andre Feagin (Phantom 1998-2001)

... for some people, it's when they got exposed to DCI, some it's when they marched, but some people just like more recent stuff. It's all personal opinion.

All of this is true when discussing what a person "likes" (exposure, era marched, etc), and personal opinion will always rule the day when dealing within shear subjectivity; I agree with you and also am not trying to argue those subjectivity aspects. In the case of someone seeking the "Greatest Ever", however, for them to completely disregard the Anaheim Kingsmen or The Bridgemen simply because that person got exposed to drum corps after those corps faded is just as fallacious as someone automatically disregarding the Vince Lombardi Green Bay Packers as a candidate for the "Greatest Ever" NFL offense or defense because that person began watching football in 1994. The "Greatest Ever" has nothing to do with "your experience", but with an honest evaluation of all ensembles from all eras.

• Like 1

Brass: '88 Madison Scouts / '96 Phantom Regiment ~ I can't decide...

Percussion: '87 Garfield Cadets

Guard: '80 27th lancers

Visual: '91 Star

Too many excellent choices!!

All of this is true when discussing what a person "likes" (exposure, era marched, etc), and personal opinion will always rule the day when dealing within shear subjectivity; I agree with you and also am not trying to argue those subjectivity aspects. In the case of someone seeking the "Greatest Ever", however, for them to completely disregard the Anaheim Kingsmen or The Bridgemen simply because that person got exposed to drum corps after those corps faded is just as fallacious as someone automatically disregarding the Vince Lombardi Green Bay Packers as a candidate for the "Greatest Ever" NFL offense or defense because that person began watching football in 1994. The "Greatest Ever" has nothing to do with "your experience", but with an honest evaluation of all ensembles from all eras.

I've been agreeing you this entire time Stu, I'm just trying to explain that under some people's criteria for the "Greatest Ever" they feel a corps from after 1990 was the best. Were the corps from the 1970s and 1980s amazing, and did some great things? Yes, but under SOME PEOPLE"S CRITERIA, maybe Star 1991 or Crown 2009 had the best hornline to them, not the 1975 Madison Scouts. Just have to accept everyone's different criteria for choosing the greatest ever corps, or just let it go