The greatest ever "all star" Corps

All of this is true when discussing what a person "likes" (exposure, era marched, etc), and personal opinion will always rule the day when dealing within shear subjectivity; I agree with you and also am not trying to argue those subjectivity aspects. In the case of someone seeking the "Greatest Ever", however, for them to completely disregard the Anaheim Kingsmen or The Bridgemen simply because that person got exposed to drum corps after those corps faded is just as fallacious as someone automatically disregarding the Vince Lombardi Green Bay Packers as a candidate for the "Greatest Ever" NFL offense or defense because that person began watching football in 1994. The "Greatest Ever" has nothing to do with "your experience", but with an honest evaluation of all ensembles from all eras.

Of course it's equally possible that those individuals choosing post-80's corps simply don't find the product as excellent (or whatever other criteria one is using to evaluate 'greatness') of those of corps of more recent vintage. Seems to me you're trying invalidate everyone's choices simply because you don't agree with their assessment that perhaps "modern" drum corps > "vintage" drum corps.

• Like 2

... Seems to me you're trying invalidate everyone's choices simply because you don't agree with their assessment that perhaps "modern" drum corps > "vintage" drum corps.

Let's apply this to "Greatest Guitar Player": For a person to disregard Chet Atkins because that person does not like Country Music, or disregard Robert Johnson because they do not like blues, and disregard both of them because the two players are vintage and long dead is all fallacy. So, if a person defines the "Greatest Ever" drum corps section by predetermining, for any reason, that modern style is by definition Greater than vintage style the fallacy also begins to arise.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

I've been agreeing you this entire time Stu, I'm just trying to explain that under some people's criteria for the "Greatest Ever" they feel a corps from after 1990 was the best. Were the corps from the 1970s and 1980s amazing, and did some great things? Yes, but under SOME PEOPLE"S CRITERIA, maybe Star 1991 or Crown 2009 had the best hornline to them, not the 1975 Madison Scouts. Just have to accept everyone's different criteria for choosing the greatest ever corps, or just let it go

And I have been agreeing with you this whole time about the subjectivity of this thread.

As far as an "All Star Corps" is concerned, I'm not sure you can isolate it as easily as far as horn line, percussion, color guard, and visual in the DCI era prior to 1985 as you can afterward. You could say that Madison, Blue Devils, or Spirit of Atlanta had the best horn line, most would agree that either 27th or Phantom had the best guard, percussion perhaps Oakland Crusaders, or visual Bridgemen, but a lot would be missing. At this point you need individual parts of a show to create an all-star corps. Now if we went this route, my vote would go to Blue Devils "Channel One Suite", 1977 as an all-star opening. All-star production numbers: Madison 85 "Rhapsody in Blue", with 27th's "Niner Two" of 81, and 1978's SCV "Gopak" from :"Gayne," A show without a drum solo from this era would be incomplete and my all-stars would be Phantom's "March of the Dwarves" or 27th's 1980 or 81 "Wide World" with all the great color guard moves. For a closer, I'd choose Spirit if Atlanta's "Let it be me" followed by 27th's "Danny Boy" complete with the wheel and the rifles bursting through the drum line, with a special encore of SCV doing the "Bottle Dance". Of course you would have to have a "Screamer" in the show and for me, North Star's "Ole" would do it and could you have vintage DCI without the Madison rifle line doing at least one bow while taking off their hats?

After 1985, it's a bit easier to pick an all-star corps based ion sections, a t least for me. For me it would be

Best horn line Tie: Madison 1996 "A Drum Corps Fans' Dream Part Dos" and Phantom Regiment 1991 Phantom Voices.

Best Color guard 2011 Carolina Crown very contemporary but some great old school moves to please everyone.

Best percussion: 2011 Carolina Crown. Perhaps those who know percussion better than I do will disagree, but I found the pit very entertaining and it added to the whole atmosphere of the show.

Best Visual Santa Clara Vanguard 1988 or 89

Of course if you have an all-star corps you need an all-star drum major, and who better than drum major turned DCI commentator Will Pitts of 2008 Phantom fame. If we are looking for an all-star soloist, how about the young man from the 2011 Boston Crusaders who wowed us all with "Bring him Home."

Edited by Tim K

Let's apply this to "Greatest Guitar Player": For a person to disregard Chet Atkins because that person does not like Country Music, or disregard Robert Johnson because they do not like blues, and disregard both of them because the two players are vintage and long dead is all fallacy. So, if a person defines the "Greatest Ever" drum corps section by predetermining, for any reason, that modern style is by definition Greater than vintage style the fallacy also begins to arise.

No arguments with the above. It just that (in your OP) you're jumping to the conclusion that posters who did not choose pre-90's corps failed to consider them at all. That may or may not be the case but it's not a foregone conclusion...

• Like 1

If we are looking for an all-star soloist, how about the young man from the 2011 Boston Crusaders who wowed us all with "Bring him Home."

Very hard to argue with, he played that solo beautifully.

• Like 1

I'll go.....

Brass Crown 09 or Star 92

Percussion Cadets 89 or SCV 04

Guard Cadets92

Visual Cadets 98

• Like 1

OK, I'll go.

Brass - Star 1991

Percussion - Star 1993 (no contest here IMO)

Visual - Cadets 2011

Guard - Not enough knowledge to comment

Well, you're entitled to your opinion and all, but I'd have to question that "no contest" statement there. :p

Not that they weren't great, I loved Star's drumline in 93. It's just, there were others. ;)