Youtube Thread

Because of having one valve on the side and more marching style music, many corps would (especially during the fanfare and off the line)play with one hand. As more turns were added to the drill and music required the use of the "slide" to play sharps and flats(?)(and eventually the rotary), two hands were the norm.

Maybe ironlips, hornsup or someone else can tell us when the slide and Bass bari started being used. The Bass bari was the size of todays Baris and more than a bit hard to hold with one hand. But in the 50s corps had the Tenor Bari which looked like a oversized sop. That one was light enough to be carried with right hand only. (Have a bass and 2 Tenor 1 valve Baris in the basement.) Think slides were used in the late 50s for solos but easy enough to write a 1 valve only fanfare and OTL for the visual effect.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I was born 1957 but was told at least some corps did it..... Here's that 58 vid I mentioned earlier, has the arm swing. Also Cabs have a lot of full show vids, early 60 ones have the arm swing. http://www.hawthornecaballeros.org/?q=content/media

That's wild! Like a pack of bulldogs struttin' around. :thumbup:

• Like 1

I wish more corps would play Brass Band literature. Stonehenge and Year of the Dragon were such incredible pieces for the Cadets. Who knows -- maybe 2012 will see some love for brass band music...

I mean -- who wouldn't want to hear this on the field:

• Like 1

I wish more corps would play Brass Band literature. Stonehenge and Year of the Dragon were such incredible pieces for the Cadets. Who knows -- maybe 2012 will see some love for brass band music...

I mean -- who wouldn't want to hear this on the field:

I would! I would!

Good golly! That was amazing!

So much of Sparke's music would be AMAZING on the field!

EDIT: The horn soloist who opens the piece - what's he playing? A Euph? A trombonium?

Edited by garfield

Future Corps was pretty cool when finals was in Orlando, and I get that they bring brass and drum performance to the Disney fans. But it wasn't drum corps any more than BLAST! was drum corps (cue those whiners who say drum corps is just marching band, blah, blah, blah). "Drum Corps" is just a shortened version of "Drum and Bugle Corps", and that idiom is mostly known for parades and field competiions, if it's known at all. Disney-goers who saw Future Corps, mostly, had no idea that they came from the field after many years of personal performance. It was cool, and they were talented, but it wasn't drum corps, and it did little to educate people as to what "Drum Corps" really is, so they did little more than provide entertainment for those paying them. Only dinos remember Future Corps.

But mostly you said it yourself: They were here, and now they're not. But Drum Corps still is. What's that say? It's proof that Future Corps and Magic Kingdom Korps were not drum corps.

For the record, I stopped to watch them at length any chance I got at Disney. They were even at other finals in the souvie areas a couple of times. Amazingly talented kids, and I miss that they're not around anymore.