Accent Marching Academy

Don't forget about that flashy new truck they have. That will be the cornerstone of their transport operations

Well, he has a picture of the truck anyways. Accent does seem to be in possession of a ranch-style house, now filled to overflowing with music stands, in the suburbs of an undisclosed American city. Which I imagine is the nerve center of this rapidly growing business.

Oh, and most importantly: One or more credit cards with at least $20,000 limits. They don't give away those $500 subwoofers for free.

Edited by Rifuarian

Browsing around the website/facebook. Color me scared for what this is trying to be. I'm really only scared because they appear to have portrayed a large facade on the internet without much proof of actual progress. Also it gets really shady towards the end of my little research. If anyone from DCI is reading this (which I assume they are) you really should attempt to take legal action or at the least investigate what is going on here.

Here's a bit from the FAQ section.

"Show and Tell?

At every clinic location, AMA performs a show and tell before concluding camp. This is to show family, friends, and directors the progress that's been made. Students will play warm-ups, an etude, and excerpts from a real marching band show written just for AMA. Show and tell begins at 3:30 PM on Sunday following the recording session. Admission is free."

If there is anyone in the Tampa Area that would like to see what the fuss is about (or if it even exists) please take a few minutes to drive up to the site for the next "camp".

* Here's a few bits from the "Register" section of the website in case you actually feel like applying for these camps.

Also, Jotform.com, the website used to create the registration portion of Accent Marching Academy is 100% free to the person who creates it.

This is where it gets a bit shady:

"Payment:

Credit Card Type* Master Card

Visa

American Express

Discover

Name on Card* Card Number* Expiration Date (MM/YYYY)* Security Code*

By hitting submit, the applicant and parent/guardian agrees to pay the clinic amount of $400.00, warmup packet of $10.00, plus the transaction fee of of 3.5% ($14.35) of the total cost to Accent Marching LLC. Transactions should be expected to take place within 24 hours of your order. A receipt, as well as the appropriate warm-up packet will be emailed to your email provided. If you have any questions, please contact customer service at 512.222.3681."

* The customer service phone number 512-222-3681

A quick search on this phone number reveals this website

(Manta.com, the website used to create the link below, is also 100% free to the user.)

http://www.manta.com/c/mw33j8c/accent-productions

* The website lists this address as its base of operations:

3645 West 6th Street

Los Angeles, CA 90048

* A quick google search places Accent Productions in LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA between BEVERLY HILLS and WEST HOLLYWOOD.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=3645+West+6th+Street+Los+Angeles,+CA+90048&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1024&bih=865&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x80c2b921041f258b:0xad467915b0fe2226,W+6th+St,+Los+Angeles,+CA+90048&gl=us&ei=Tr86T6T9Lee-2gWq_Yi0Cg&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CB4Q8gEwAA

And what's more, I don't think the address actually exists since google maps says it is giving an "approximate address".

Again, if anyone from DCI is reading this I really hope you begin at least investigating this further because I don't want any poor soul pouring $400+ into a facade. I only assume it's a facade since every website they run seems to be at free cost to the owner. I don't buy the pictures on facebook either, any of those can simply be stock footage.

Edited by NR_Ohiobando
  • Like 1

My question....why aren't all of the "staff" members from University of South Florida listed on the staff page for the Tampa event?

According to the office at the Pompano Beach arena where this weekend's Miami event was to be held, the reservation has been cancelled.

CEO Chris Nagy on LinkedIn

Still expecting his Bachelors degree from IU, Bloomington Indiana in 2012. But it appears he is based out of LA.

COO Brian Poillon on LinkedIn

Shows them based out of Houston, TX.

But ... Brian's Facebook indicates L.A. as well.

Edited by mingusmonk

Seems like he's done everything he needs to do for this to succeed. He has a flashy website, a facebook page, twitter account, expensive electronic equipment, stands, an enormous staff (some of whom may have already been notified that they are a part of this), and carefully crafted anti-scooter and anti-Swiss army knife policies.

I see no reason why this won't work out.

He's referring to the following on the FAQ page: <<NO rollerblades, skateboards, scooters, coffee makers, bicycles, non-performance weapons of any type, such as hand guns, pocket knives, Swiss Army knives, etc. – these items will be confiscated by AMA and not returned.>>

While I kind of understand why one would want to keep hand guns away from such an event, I can only assume the Swiss Army knife ban is meant to avoid the ever-escalating arms race of Swiss Army knives amongst our nation's envious kiddies. How would you feel if all the snare drum campers had one of these to tune their snares and you were feeling inferior with a classic Swiss Army knife?

315-1224153321-6a00e55189186f8833011168d17088970c-800wi.jpg

Mapquest lists the Tampa hotel as being just over 19 miles and 27 minutes from the event location.

A student from Seminole HS, which has quite an excellent marching band program, would find that the event is about 7 miles from their school, while the lodging is 23 miles from the school.

Out of curiosity, I called the event site in Largo and this event is indeed booked into the facility.

Investigative Reporter Michael Boo getting to the bottom of things. Nice.

He's referring to the following on the FAQ page: <<NO rollerblades, skateboards, scooters, coffee makers, bicycles, non-performance weapons of any type, such as hand guns, pocket knives, Swiss Army knives, etc. – these items will be confiscated by AMA and not returned.>>

Yea, and that doesn't set off any red flags. You'd darned well better return my HK MP5S at the end of camp, darn it.

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for Howdy to show up in this thread and chastise us for making fun of Chris Nagy.

• Like 1

According to the office at the Pompano Beach arena where this weekend's Miami event was to be held, the reservation has been cancelled.

If that Pompano Beach event has been canceled what does that say about this statement from the Accent Website: "... We understand that positive experiences are not built from broken vows."

Edited by Stu
  • Like 3