Velvet Knights Announce 2012 Program

VK Drum & Bugle Corps announced today their 2012 summer program, “Moving Forward.” The corps’ program includes: Short Ride on a Fast Machine by John Adams, Road to Chicago by Thomas Newman, and 1000 Airplanes on the Roof by Philip Glass. According to VK Corps Director, Mayra Iraheta, “The 2012 program is symbolic of the [...]

... Read the rest of the article here - http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/2012/02/velvet-knights-announce-2012-program/

:lookaround: A very esoteric opener (fast ride), losing the Converse, a clear statement from the director that the corps wants to move more with the times and a show title that backs that idea up? Hmmmmm...SOUNDS like a departure for VK. BUT, I won't pass judgement until I see it. Some thought Madison's 2012 was going to be a departure until word started spreading that there is more to that show than what's appears on the surface. I''ll tell you what though. You've got my attention, VK. I will need to make a point to see this show at some point in the summer and that if nothing else is a good thing for the corps. Generating interest is never a bad thing. Looking forward to what SOUNDS like possibly a NEW VK with an open mind. :smile: Edited by stevedb1975

Sounds like someone wants to do better competitively. Nothing wrong with that. Though as suggested by the Madison example above, there are ways to do that without completely divorsing your roots. I hope VK finds that balance with this 2012 program. When I watch VK (whether the old top 12 VK or the current Open Class VK), I expect to enjoy some laughter. All I ask is that VK finds a way to still make me do so and I will be happy.

Sounds like someone wants to do better competitively. Nothing wrong with that. Though as suggested by the Madison example above, there are ways to do that without completely divorsing your roots. I hope VK finds that balance with this 2012 program. When I watch VK (whether the old top 12 VK or the current Open Class VK), I expect to enjoy some laughter. All I ask is that VK finds a way to still make me do so and I will be happy.

Maybe they'll combine Short Ride with that piece I played in high school about someone's first driving lesson....the one that ended with the sound effects of the car crashing into the garage...

:lookaround: A very esoteric opener (fast ride), losing the Converse, a clear statement from the director that the corps wants to move more with the times and a show title that backs that idea up? Hmmmmm...SOUNDS like a departure for VK. BUT, I won't pass judgement until I see it. Some thought Madison's 2012 was going to be a departure until word started spreading that there is more to that show than what's appears on the surface. I''ll tell you what though. You've got my attention, VK. I will need to make a point to see this show at some point in the summer and that if nothing else is a good thing for the corps. Generating interest is never a bad thing. Looking forward to what SOUNDS like possibly a NEW VK with an open mind. :smile:

I find it very interesting, and we all know VK can be interesting. Where does it say though that they are "losing the Converse"?

I find it very interesting, and we all know VK can be interesting. Where does it say though that they are "losing the Converse"?

In the full article the staff is quoted as saying "even the corps famous "converse" will be updated".

Converse is Converse is Converse. Either you are wearing "Converse" or you are not. If you say it will be "updated", the only logical conclusion I can come up with is that they are not wearing them.

In the full article the staff is quoted as saying "even the corps famous "converse" will be updated".

Converse is Converse is Converse. Either you are wearing "Converse" or you are not. If you say it will be "updated", the only logical conclusion I can come up with is that they are not wearing them.

I emailed them........they ARE wearing converse.....your "conclusion" is wrong