New to World Class?

Right now the number for Friday Semi-Finals is 25, so irrespective of my opinions on a 25th placing corps show quality I would call those 25 corps WC for the next season. If DCI made the Friday Semi-Finals number 20 I would call those 20 WC; if DCI made the Semi-Finals number 30 I would call those 30 WC. Whatever number of corps DCI sets to move from Thursday Prelims into the Friday Semi-Finals I would deem WC for the next season.

thats fine but what happend to competitive quality like you said Just because DCI..me or you say certain corps are WC doesnt mean they are..and arent...again seems like you want a corps to be a true wc corps in your other postings but the reality is that several arent WC and thats been pretty obvious to most....so where does that leave it? Guess we will have to agree to disagree :smile: bottom line is DCI and corps will do what they want regardless and corps will decide what will be because the corps are DCI.

Edited by GUARDLING

thats fine but what happend to competitive quality like you said Just because DCI..me or you say certain corps are WC doesnt mean they are..and arent...again seems like you want a corps to be a true wc corps in your other postings but the reality is that several arent WC and thats been pretty obvious to most....so where does that leave it? Guess we will have to agree to disagree :smile: bottom line is DCI and corps will do what they want regardless and corps will decide what will be because the corps are DCI.

> that's fine but what happend to competitive quality like you said

Ahhhh....you misunderstand my point. As it stands right now competitiveness does not define a WC corps at all; however if there was a requirement for a corps to make it to Friday Semi-Finals to *earn* a WC classification it would then be based on competitiveness not choice. The definition of WC quality would then be based each year on the lowest placing corps making it to Semi-Finals

Edited by Stu

> that's fine but what happend to competitive quality like you said

Ahhhh....you misunderstand my point. As it stands right now competitiveness does not define a WC corps at all; however if there was a requirement for a corps to make it to Friday Semi-Finals to *earn* a WC classification it would then be based on competitiveness not choice. The definition of WC quality would then be based each year on the lowest placing corps making it to Semi-Finals

gottcha.....i would bet there would be 17 ( maybe ) corps in WC..hmmm maybe thats a realistic #

Edited by GUARDLING

gottcha.....i would bet there would be 17 corps in WC..hmmm maybe thats a realistic #

See, to me all corps in WC and OC are DCI corps, and I do not want to throw any corps out of DCI which can maintain financial stability. In fact as long as a corps can show financial stability I would like to see a plethora of new OC corps each year (we could then maybe move back to a three-division system so that Legends are not competing against BDB). But I do want the WC status to be earned. The best way to accomplish that is to have a bump system based on the corps who make it to Friday Semis; and the number of corps DCI moves from Thursday Prelims to Friday Semi-Finals is their choice so that number is arbitrary to me. And since all corps (both WC and OC) now compete on Thursday Prelims to earn those Friday spots, the WC status would be earned not chosen (whether it is 25 or 17 on Friday is up to DCI). The rest of the DCI corps who do not make it to Friday, yes they would still be DCI corps, but the rest of the DCI corps would compete the next season in the OC and then have a chance to bump into the WC the next August by competing on Thursday Prelims, and if they make it to the Friday Semi-Finals they would bump into the next year's WC and bump another corps to the OC for the next season. This competitive process would also increase the quality of the mid-pack because they would constantly be fighting for a coveted WC classification!!!

Edited by Stu

See, to me all corps in WC and OC are DCI corps, and I do not want to throw any corps out of DCI which can maintain financial stability. In fact as long as a corps can show financial stability I would like to see a plethora of new OC corps each year (we could then maybe move back to a three-division system so that Legends are not competing against BDB). But I do want the WC status to be earned. The best way to accomplish that is to have a bump system based on the corps who make it to Friday Semis; and the number of corps DCI moves from Thursday Prelims to Friday Semi-Finals is their choice so that number is arbitrary to me. And since all corps (both WC and OC) now compete on Thursday Prelims to earn those Friday spots, the WC status would be earned not chosen (whether it is 25 or 17 on Friday is up to DCI). The rest of the DCI corps who do not make it to Friday, yes they would still be DCI corps, but the rest of the DCI corps would compete the next season in the OC and then have a chance to bump into the WC the next August by competing on Thursday Prelims, and if they make it to the Friday Semi-Finals they would bump into the next year's WC and bump another corps to the OC for the next season. This competitive process would also increase the quality of the mid-pack because they would constantly be fighting for a coveted WC classification!!!

all one has to do is look to WGI to see how sometimes this doesnt work. When a class seems to be getting low ( this year HS world class ) all of a sudden guards are bumped up to the next class only to get slaughtered by the end of the season. It happens all the time and WGI as Im know DCI would justify the BUMP at the corps expense.

all one has to do is look to WGI to see how sometimes this doesnt work. When a class seems to be getting low ( this year HS world class ) all of a sudden guards are bumped up to the next class only to get slaughtered by the end of the season. It happens all the time and WGI as Im know DCI would justify the BUMP at the corps expense.

To coin a cliche here, apples/oranges. There are just two classes in DCI and a thousand (hyperbole) classes in WGI. So the scenario you describe here would never happen in DCI unless the current number of WC/OC corps dwindled drastically.

To coin a cliche here, apples/oranges. There are just two classes in DCI and a thousand (hyperbole) classes in WGI. So the scenario you describe here would never happen in DCI unless the current number of WC/OC corps dwindled drastically.

DCI will justify and bump to make WC look strong OR like the G7 want WC could become JUST the best of the best and WC will only have 10 or 15..hmmmm isnt that what Daniel proposed?

I have high respect you Jeff, but if they were more of a drain than a benefit the parent organizations would have to get rid of them for shear financial reasons because they would actually end up destroying the parent organizations.

Not really if you look at the big picture. They draw bodies that can be trained to move to the A corps, and they provide interest on the local level for the BD or SCV brand name.

but OC doesnt pay like WC does. So they use those units in other ways to help offset the costs and to feed the A corps image.

DCI will justify and bump to make WC look strong OR like the G7 want WC could become JUST the best of the best and WC will only have 10 or 15..hmmmm isnt that what Daniel proposed?

Not really; as long as their is financial stability I want all current corps, as well as any new up-starts, to be supported by DCI. And I tried to compromise with the D-Ray with this type of WC/OC proposal where WC is earned by making it into Friday Prelims; but he still maintained limiting DCI support to just 17 corps and throwing away DCI support for all the rest. That is the the difference between our ideas; and it is a huge difference.

Edited by Stu

This is why I am an advocate of DCI setting required standards within a division based on both financial and competitive criteria. BDB and SCV Cadets have the financial stability and the competitive quality to compete in the WC, whereas a few of the current WC corps do not have those qualities. It does not matter to me whether they are *feeder* corps or stand alone corps; if they fit the financial and competitive WC criteria they should be placed by DCI in WC; if they fit the financial and competitive criteria of OC they should be placed by DCI in the OC. All other competitive organizations, whether pro or collegiate, limits competitive choices in this manner, and so should DCI.

so, The Big Ten limits competitive choices based on competitive choices? Really? Then IU football should be out.

The NFL limits who goes into what division based on competitive quality? Then for most of the last 40 years the Detroit Lions should have been semi pro.

Stu, I'll give you one thing...when you reach, you reach for platinum, not gold. But you reach too far