Order of Corps for DCA Prelims

Does DCA or anyone have the order that corps went on the field for Prelims (any year)?

Started thinking back and the way the corps were grouped changed over the decades. Would clear up some brain fog if this was availible.

Thanks...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Since I was involved until my recent retirement... I can tell you that this is not a record that was kept over the years... sorry... I'm sure since the arrival of Glen Johnson that it's available for recent years...

my mind's so foggy, I don't even remember when seeding replaced straight draw (among member corps).

I would add that I have ALWAYS been a strong proponent of some sort of seeding... there were many instances where the result was scewered by a "bad" draw... I won't go into all the technicalities of show dynamics and how a show is judged (under any system)... but there are subtle effects on final scores that can happen due to the "system" rather than the corps performance on the field... it may only be a tenth or two, but we all know that can be the difference...

Show Dynamics folks... a great topic for those who really care...

Thanks Tom, had a feeling but wanted to check.

Thinking about my years in the 70s when Prelims/Finals were the same day and we went from a non-member to Associate to full DCA member. Seemed the first few years we went on late afternoon and last or next to last in 76 (shows in the recording we did about 45 minutes later). 77 we actually had time to go back to the practice field for a run thru or two.

And based on previous seasons placings:

74-76 - non-member (15th place or below)

77 - Associate (11th year before)

78-79 - full member

Watched Prelims at Allentown in the 80s and member corps went on later the years I can remember.

Jes' wondered....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Last year the last three corps went:

Empire Statesmen

Bucs

Minnesota Brass

They actually placed in that order too.

Edited by Stradivarius

Thanks Tom, had a feeling but wanted to check.

Thinking about my years in the 70s when Prelims/Finals were the same day and we went from a non-member to Associate to full DCA member. Seemed the first few years we went on late afternoon and last or next to last in 76 (shows in the recording we did about 45 minutes later). 77 we actually had time to go back to the practice field for a run thru or two.

And based on previous seasons placings:

74-76 - non-member (15th place or below)

77 - Associate (11th year before)

78-79 - full member

Watched Prelims at Allentown in the 80s and member corps went on later the years I can remember.

Jes' wondered....

what you're referring to was the switch from non member corps going on first ... to the non member corps going on last... the idea was - because of the same day prelim finals to give the member corps more time between shows... have the "new" corps going on late in the day...

The shock of Phoenix's great score in prelims of 75... helped convince everyone that was not necessarilly a good idea...

I was the only member of Crusaders allowed to stay back in Aquinas Stadium (Holleder then) to get Phoenix's score and our reporting time for finals... talk about shooting the messanger... YIKES...

Last year the last three corps went:

Empire Statesmen

Bucs

Madison Brass

They actually placed in that order too.

Minnesota Brass....

When did Brass move to Wisconsin?

Veeeeeeeeeeeeery sorry. my bad. wasn't thinking......

I edited it now.

what you're referring to was the switch from non member corps going on first ... to the non member corps going on last... the idea was - because of the same day prelim finals to give the member corps more time between shows... have the "new" corps going on late in the day...

Right... but thought in the 80s the member corps went on last or later on. But can remember (I think) Sky on at different times over theose years.

The shock of Phoenix's great score in prelims of 75... helped convince everyone that was not necessarilly a good idea...

I was the only member of Crusaders allowed to stay back in Aquinas Stadium (Holleder then) to get Phoenix's score and our reporting time for finals... talk about shooting the messanger... YIKES...

LOL, according to HODC II, Blessed Sac was next to last and Phoenix last at Prelims. We were on a few corps earlier. And had a royal screw up I'll never forget...

Right... but thought in the 80s the member corps went on last or later on. But can remember (I think) Sky on at different times over theose years.

LOL, according to HODC II, Blessed Sac was next to last and Phoenix last at Prelims. We were on a few corps earlier. And had a royal screw up I'll never forget...

all i know is in 1972 we went on first. that hurt us. we were the base score for prelims and it didn't take much for corps like the bucs to leap over us because they went on much later. luck of the draw. they drew straws in the spring.