Order of Corps for DCA Prelims

doing both in one day was hard. getting up for prelims and then again at night was a tall order.

Totally agree, Don.

I really can't recall ever seeing a corps do two great performances in the same day on that weekend. Almost impossible to do.

I agree, and in 93 with the rain out that led to a sunny day, it was like "we gotta go back to what we did last year"

That was an interesting weekend.

Heavy rain came through Friday night into early Saturday... and apparently overwhelmed the field's drainage system, because there was standing water on several parts of the field Saturday morning.

From what I recall, Mickey had no choice but to postpone prelims, even though the rain had stopped and the sun was coming out... delaying the start of the show was not an option because there was a baseball game scheduled that evening.

So there we were.... two shows in one day on Sunday, like the "old days." LOL.

In response to an earlier posted question, I can tell you that 1995 was the first year that order of appearance at Prelims was determined by some sort of scoring formula coming in. There may have been some things different along the way concerning member and non-member corps, but it was 1995 where we had the first seeded order of appearance based on score.

the only thing I ever remember about performance order was in 91, when this huge Canadian corps no one around me called Les Metroplitans was the first corps to come through the gate.

Needless to say, they left a HUGE impression on the crowd that showed up early.

the only thing I ever remember about performance order was in 91, when this huge Canadian corps no one around me called Les Metroplitans was the first corps to come through the gate.

Needless to say, they left a HUGE impression on the crowd that showed up early.

I hear ya... talk about a wake-up call. They were great that day!!!

For the big guns who knew they would be in Finals (unless they really screwed up in Prelims) that's understandable. For the on the bubble corps like I was with for almost my whole time, Prelims was the show you really had to go full out. We were either pushing like Hades to get into Finals or working like Hades not to get knocked out of Finals. LOL, late 70s always had a new Quebec corps showing up every other year that would bump someone out. And going by what would happen at RCA shows was a crap shoot as the more execution based corps (like Westshore) would jump over the more GE-based corps at DCA.

:ph34r:

I'm another who remembers having to 'play it conservative' in Prelims, dealing with that ever-questionable "first read" as one of the early corps to go on in the AM, having to kinda sorta have the judges "guess" on where to put us after only seeing us once..Add into that the fact we didn't play the concert number in Prelims, in order to use the motion time to our advantage, without having Concert hurt us from the execution side. In essence, we lost some GE score in order to save execution tics. Couldn't let-r-rip until Finals. Didn't matter then (until '86) :tongue:

And when you put that together with those 25 hour bus trips - you can imagine what we were like after doing the exhibitions in 77 thru '79 and THEN getting right back on the buses for the road trip home :doh:

Yeah, most of us were masochists..But those were the groups that kept being crazy and kept coming back for more.. :worthy:

Pat

Oh yeah Pat... that concert number..... some years yes... some years no.....

1977 know we didn't play the concert for Prelims as the guard moved during the concert and we had to work on a "move on the hand clap" bit for them to get into postition. One afternoon we worked it... and worked on it... and worked on it... no idea what the problem was but we spent a lot of time on it. Mean while the DIs were having kittens <$1 to Radar O'Reilly> that we were "on the bubble" and needed to put our time to better use cleaning the drill.

OK... not quit the words they used... more like "what the ####.... we can't waste our time on this ####.... #####, ######, ###### this ####### close".

Yeah Jeff, it was Mr Templin....

1974 we played the concert as think I got a tic looking at a judge who was crouched right in front of me. Saw the movement, looked down, he looked up.... tic.....

Oh yeah Pat... that concert number..... some years yes... some years no.....

1977 know we didn't play the concert for Prelims as the guard moved during the concert and we had to work on a "move on the hand clap" bit for them to get into postition. One afternoon we worked it... and worked on it... and worked on it... no idea what the problem was but we spent a lot of time on it. Mean while the DIs were having kittens <$1 to Radar O'Reilly> that we were "on the bubble" and needed to put our time to better use cleaning the drill.

OK... not quit the words they used... more like "what the ####.... we can't waste our time on this ####.... #####, ######, ###### this ####### close".

Yeah Jeff, it was Mr Templin....

1974 we played the concert as think I got a tic looking at a judge who was crouched right in front of me. Saw the movement, looked down, he looked up.... tic.....

not Rich. I can't believe you would say such a thing! He's always so mild mannered