Roland Electronic Marching Percussion

40 members have voted

1. 1. Like or Dislike?

In reality, electronic drums can be pretty interesting... just as long as people consider them to be an additional color, not a stock replacement for acoustic instruments.

Electronic drums have also been around for ages.

When I was a kid, Osmond Studios donated a couple of sets of old Syndrums to our school.

syndrum.jpg

syndrum_pedal.jpg

pollard-syndrum-quad.jpg

The director didn't want them... so, a friend and I took them for our garage band Boomshanka (fans of The Young Ones might get it), that did mostly covers of Echo and the Bunnymen, Dream Academy, XTC and Psychedelic Furs B-sides.

Anyway, electronic drums have been around for AGES can be VERY cool if properly written for, properly staged (i.e. - parked) and taken for what it is... not as a replacement for something else.

I'd actually love to see a winter percussion program with vintage synths, malletkats and vintage syndrums in the front ensemble. It would be something different. Why not?

Edited by danielray

All good. Yes, @troon8 is your guilty party on the "contraption" (as it now should very approprately be referred to from now on).

The "contraption" is a work of art, in the sense that the following is art.

sandwich.jpgbadartdogsresized.jpg

• Like 1

In reality, electronic drums can be pretty interesting... just as long as people consider them to be an additional color, not a stock replacement for acoustic instruments...

YES! That I agree with. Though the point of my thread was to discuss it as used as a "stock replacement" (which I DON'T want to see). Sadly, they appear to be designed with that intent in mind.

As you said, electronic drums have been around for years. As others have said, similar instruments have been used in the pit. I don't mind any such usage. What I DON'T want to see is an entire snareline come walking out of the tunnel wearing these as their main battery instrument for an entire show. Set them on the sideline for novelty use and pick them up for a feature or for an effect? SURE! I can accept that and probably would LIKE that.. Use in the pit? Fine.

With that said, why the need to create such an instrument "just for marching percussion" when all you have to do is use standard Rolands in your pit? Answer --- the intent was for full battery usage. Seems like that attempt failed. :huh:

Edited by bmjfelts1988

The "contraption" is a work of art, in the sense that the following is art.

sandwich.jpgbadartdogsresized.jpg

LOL! Listen bud! You already have a bill for the repair of the computer I spat my drink on earlier. Lets not go for a second. :tongue:

YES! That I agree with. Though the point of my thread was to discuss it as used as a "stock replacement" (which I DON'T want to see). Sadly, they are obviously designed with that intent in mind. As you said before, electronic drums have been around for years. As others have said, similar instruments have been used in the pit. I don't mind any such usage. What I DON'T want to see is an entire snareline come walking out of the tunnel wearing these as their main battery instrument for an entire show. Set them on the sideline for novelty use? SURE! I can accept that. Use in the pit? Fine. Though why the need to create such an instrument "just for marching percussion" when all you have to do is use standard Rolands in your pit? Answer --- he intent was for full battery usage. Seems like that attempt failed. :huh:

Well... seems the intent was more for indoor/winter percussion... which is a place where they could probably work pretty well. Tighter space, and only battery on the floor... could probably work better than drum corps. I really don't think they were ever designed with drum corps in mind... but indoor instead.

Well... seems the intent was more for indoor/winter percussion... which is a place where they could probably work pretty well. Tighter space, and only battery on the floor... could probably work better than drum corps. I really don't think they were ever designed with drum corps in mind... but indoor instead.

Perhaps. Though I'll ask the same question in regards to indoor lines. Why have I not seen any use them (in their battery as their main instrument)? FOUR years these things have been available and not ONE top drumline (outdoor OR indoor) has used them as their MAIN battery/snare instrument. Bringing me to the conclusion that it was a failure (as a stock replacement battery percussion idea).

Edited by bmjfelts1988

Perhaps. Though I'll ask the same question in regards to indoor lines. Why have I not seen any use them (in their battery as their main instrument)? FOUR years these things have been available and not ONE top drumline (outdoor OR indoor) has used them as their MAIN battery/snare instrument. Bringing me to the conclusion that it was a failure (as a stock replacement battery percussion idea).

Competitive inertia... and while they're reasonably cheap for a marching drum, they are an expensive risk.

They'll be used when Roland mans up and drops the cash to bribe a group like Rhythm-X to use them. Roland needs to be more bold... push groups like this to do something cool.... not have 3 random old dudes dropping a dirt sandwich butterside down.

Perhaps. Though I'll ask the same question in regards to indoor lines. Why have I not seen any use them (in their battery as their main instrument)?

Same reason I keep bringing up. You can't play clean diddles without the sound and feel of the drum you are wearing in relation to the drums next to you.

Competitive inertia... and while they're reasonably cheap for a marching drum, they are an expensive risk.

They'll be used when Roland mans up and drops the cash to bribe a group like Rhythm-X to use them. Roland needs to be more bold... push groups like this to do something cool.... not have 3 random old dudes dropping a dirt sandwich butterside down.

Nope! Won't happen. Again, you can't play clean diddles on these instruments without the sound of the drums right next to you along with yours. ESPECIALLY "indoors". Could you imagine trying to play clean in a GYM without the sound right next to you? It's hard enough WITH the sound of accoustic drums right next to you. All that sound bouncing around a gym and you want to take away what drummers depend on to stay together? NO WAY!

Same reason I keep bringing up. You can't play clean diddles without the sound and feel of the drum you are wearing in relation to the drums next to you.

If you're really a player, you can play clean diddles on a can of spam or a kardashian backside. A poor musician says it's the gear, a weak musician says it's the guy next to him, a real musician says shut up and listen.

Seriously, if you have hands and a head... you can spin straw to gold. If you can't, one of the two is broken.