Anyone Marched Cavaliers and Crown?

Pat61

cavies HL is on the rise. They produced the best sound since the machine. however they havent won since the machine. and they just fielded a show that has literally zero GE limits, and got 3rd... they need a win soon, there is only so far their name can take them, but they may be back to where they used to be in coming years. However, there has never been a better time to hop on the Crown Wagon. They have had their issues, which they have addressed in the offseason. Crown brass+improved design+improved percussion=sexy

• Like 2

To the OP, I think that you would be incredibly happy and priveledged to be a member of either amazing drum corps.

Congrats to Crown for having amazing brass lines the past few years and winning the Ott in 2009/2011. BUT, realistically they beat the Cavies by only 5 tenths of a point in brass. You're not talking a huge margin. Both have different approaches in method and teaching, you have to decide which is most suited for you.

BTW, Stevedb1975 (re: your now deleted post).....Crown should be very proud of their two Ott awards, but Im almost positive the Carolina Crown organization would take 7 world titles over 2 Otts anyday.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 6

I think you are asking the wrong question... the one I would have been asking myself at your age...

Do I want to march with girls?

I was marching in a corps that had a killer brass program, but also added loads of guys to the guard one year, cutting the number of girls in the corps by almost half. If you would have asked guys in the hornline if they had to choose between winning brass and having more girls in the corps... that would probably have been a very difficult question.

• Like 2

cavies HL is on the rise. They produced the best sound since the machine. however they havent won since the machine. and they just fielded a show that has literally zero GE limits, and got 3rd... they need a win soon, there is only so far their name can take them, but they may be back to where they used to be in coming years. However, there has never been a better time to hop on the Crown Wagon. They have had their issues, which they have addressed in the offseason. Crown brass+improved design+improved percussion=sexy

FYI, Cavies got 2nd in MUSIC GE and 3rd in Visual GE at Finals. For most part were finishing 1st during the summer tour,,,,I wouldnt say there's a huge need for panic quite yet. And so far their name/talent/staff/tradition has gotten them: 5 gold, 3 silver and 3 bronze medals since 2000. Again, no need for the life jackets.

SINCE 2000:

CAVALIERS: 5 GOLD 3 SILVER 3 BRONZE = 11 medals

BLUE DEVILS: 4 GOLD 5 SILVER 2 BRONZE = 11 medals

CADETS: 3 GOLD 2 SILVER 3 BRONZE = 8 medals

PHANTOM: 1 GOLD 1 SILVER 1 BRONZE = 3 medals

SCV: 0 GOLD 0 SILVER 1 BRONZE = 1 medal

CROWN: 0 GOLD 1 SILVER 0 BRONZE = 1 medal

BLUECOATS: 0 GOLD 0 SILVER 1 BRONZE = 1 medal

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 5

I think you are asking the wrong question... the one I would have been asking myself at your age...

I was marching in a corps that had a killer brass program, but also added loads of guys to the guard one year, cutting the number of girls in the corps by almost half. If you would have asked guys in the hornline if they had to choose between winning brass and having more girls in the corps... that would probably have been a very difficult question.

Danielray, I hope you realize that you are making a rather calculated assumption here which could potentially backfire.

• Like 1

Boy I must be losing my mind. All these months since 2011 Finals of thinking that Crown won the Jim Ott Brass title over Cavies and I guess I was just making it all up in my own mind because obviously as the above derp has now enlightened us of, Crown has nothing of a comparable value to Cavies. Got it now. Thanks CQuinn. I would have never figured it out without you.

Wow - I guess I really struck a nerve with this boy. Thanks for the mature PM by the way.

Edited by CQuinn
  • Like 3

"I had the experience of learning great brass technique that helped me develop as a musician by marching a horn line that had awesome instruction focusing on my development as an awesome brass player."

"Did your corps have girls?"

"Uh, what? Why would that matter? I went to the corps for the experience of marching and playing and what I would get out of that. I didn't go for the girls."

"Before I answer that...again...why would that matter?"

"I can tell you they were never far away, either on the buses and the field or on the sidelines and the volunteer crew."

"Why won't you just answer if your corps had girls?"

"Because it's not relevant."

"Why not?"

"Because I didn't join drum corps for the girls."

"So your corps didn't have girls?"

"I didn't say that."

"Why not?"

"You realize there are girls outside of drum corps."

"Yes, but were there girls in your corps? If there weren't didn't you miss having them?"

"Again, I wanted to march drum corps for what I would get out of it. Having girls in the corps or not in it had nothing to do with my decision."

"So you're saying 'no.'"

"No, I'm not saying that."

"Why not?"

"Honey, help me out here. Oh, meet Emily."

"Hi. Pleased to meet you. Why do you care if there were girls in his corps?"

"Is that where the two of you met?"

"No. We met at a convention of brain surgeons."

"Are there lots of girls at those things?"

"I'll tell you after I get a chance to open up your brain and reset your switch."

• Like 7