Anyone Marched Cavaliers and Crown?

Pat61

To the OP, I think that you would be incredibly happy and priveledged to be a member of either amazing drum corps.

Congrats to Crown for having amazing brass lines the past few years and winning the Ott in 2009/2011. BUT, realistically they beat the Cavies by only 5 tenths of a point in brass. You're not talking a huge margin. Both have different approaches in method and teaching, you have to decide which is most suited for you.

BTW, Stevedb1975.....Crown should be very proud of their two Ott awards, but Im almost positive the Carolina Crown organization would take 7 world titles over 2 Otts anyday.

My point exactly.

• Like 2

FYI, Cavies got 2nd in MUSIC GE and 3rd in Visual GE at Finals.

and 4th in brass. The OP is asking more specifically on brass. Since the 06 season, crown has beat cavies in brass 3 of the 5 years. Cavies went 6,4,5,2,4 while crown went 7,3,1,4,1. so as a brass player, not taking into account tradition or name and scores alone, i would want to go to crown. thats my point. and on vis and music GE, you confirmed my point by pointing out they got 2nd and 3rd. not saying thats bad by a looooooooong stretch! but with a show with infinate GE boundaries, you should be able to max that out, nothin personal, just my thoughts.

• Like 1

CROWN WON BRASS IN 2011, CAVIES DIDN'T!

Snipped much of the stupidity

I remember when I had my first beer. :thumbup:

• Like 5

I agree. I'm pretty sure crown is very expensive and they are pretty close to being bankrupt. I know some kids in Spirit and they seem to love it.

Hmmmm...first I've heard of Crown going bankrupt. Would you please post your source(s)?

From a volunteer POV, both Crown and Spirit have great organizations.

Edit: and, obviously from a parent's POV.

Edited by CrownBariDad
  • Like 3

Let me briefly apologize for my remarks last night. Had I read the OPs full initial post I would have known he was specifically referring to the brass lines and their teaching methods. Crown does have an exceptional brass sound but the Cavies are no slouch either. Note to self - don't post on DCP when drinking merlot.

• Like 3

Let me briefly apologize for my remarks last night. Had I read the OPs full initial post I would have known he was specifically referring to the brass lines and their teaching methods. Crown does have an exceptional brass sound but the Cavies are no slouch either. Note to self - don't post on DCP when drinking merlot.

no_to_merlot.jpg

• Like 2

Go local; go with Spirit. They are qualitative, you will more than likely have a great experience, they have a very good educational atmosphere, you will become part of their family, they have a very rich history, crowds love and support them, it will cost you less money due to less travel expenses, ad infinitum...

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Very sound and sensible advice, IMO. Spirit has a long history of very fine brass instruction (hey, the high brass trophy is even named after their legendary brass caption head), and I can promise you will learn a great deal from the current brass staff. I'd say the brass instruction you'll get there is on par with what you would get at ANY corps, and the overall experience is top notch.

I also apologize....for my rudeness in responding to you. And I would definitely agree. Cavies are no slouch at all (and nobody ever said they were). Though, Crown lately DOES have the better brass line without any doubt. So, your response to the OP about there being "no comparison" WAS a bit out of touch with reality. Even apart from the brass stats, Crown was only one placement down from Cavies and beat them several times over the course of the seaaon (just as they have in years past)....so "no comparison"? Come on...lets not got THAT far.

Points taken (and made...I'm sure). Again, I apologize (and my obnoxious 18 million character post with repeat rant edited). :smile:

Edited by stevedb1975
  • Like 2