Anyone Marched Cavaliers and Crown?

Pat61

There is a point in the original post which it seems everyone has missed. The OP said he still has "like 5 years or so of eligibility left"...which places his age at 15 or 16. I wonder, are there alot of 15 and 16 year olds in either Crown or Cavies? It would seem to me that he would need to be REALLY good at his age to make the cut at either.

Another point for him to consider: If he IS good enough, perhaps Spirit and Boston would both be good choices, since he wouldn't have to fly to get to either corps' camps. Although I can't speak for Spirit, I do know that BAC also has very few members his age as well.

Just a thought....

• Like 1

Quite frankly this OP is rather naïve. Every top corps has an excellent brass staff and brass placement (as well as all the other captions) depends more on talent and show design than staff competence. It’s best to march where your heart tells you to march. If you want to march with the most consistent top brass section, march BD!

• Like 2

and 4th in brass. The OP is asking more specifically on brass. Since the 06 season, crown has beat cavies in brass 3 of the 5 years. Cavies went 6,4,5,2,4 while crown went 7,3,1,4,1. so as a brass player, not taking into account tradition or name and scores alone, i would want to go to crown. thats my point. and on vis and music GE, you confirmed my point by pointing out they got 2nd and 3rd. not saying thats bad by a looooooooong stretch! but with a show with infinate GE boundaries, you should be able to max that out, nothin personal, just my thoughts.

I totally understand and respect your point, but i'm sure there are alot of people (myself included) who are still in disbelief that the judges placed the Blue Devils higher then the Cavies in VISUAL GE this year....and this is in no disrespect to the Blue Devils.

I do think the Cavies visually peaked a few weeks early this year, it would have been great to see all the "tricks" revealed around Allentown instead of early in the season. I honestly think if they had waited they would have had a much larger reaction and better score. For example, look at Mad World, that show started the season in 5th place, and constantly evolved and progressed in theme. Same with the Cadets this year, that show theme evolved and peaked at the right time.

Edited by GREENBLUE

From what I hear the Cavaliers have more of a laid back learning environment while corps like Crown can be a bit more strict. Although if you have the chance to march with the "best" hornline of the past few years, it might be hard to turn that down.

Both corps have good brass programs although I prefer the horn lines of corps like the Bluecoats and Blue Devils.

There is a rep of the Crown brass staff that IMO is totally unmerited. And that is the rep of being a little harsh or overly strict. The staff comes from the Donnie Van Doren lineage and his approach has always had that reputation. That is probably what your instructor meant by "learning environment." He is saying that Cavies are better because they are more positive. I would argue that Crown is better because their feedback is more honest and more demanding and definitely less laid back than Cavies. So if you want to have an "easier" summer go with Cavies. If you want to be challenged beyond your imagination to be great and indeed achieve that greatness, even if it means getting your ego hurt every now and then, go to Crown. And, especially by the end of the season, the experience with these teachers is nothing but positive. I have a lot of friends on that staff most notably Ben Harloff, and all of them are very passionate about great music education. Once again, their sometimes blunt feedback gets misconstrued as harsh. There is one person that I actually taught at Capital Regiment that marched both Crown and Cavies. And I know that his opinion is different than mine and can give you another perspective. I can give you his name in a PM if you like.

• Like 2

I love how much my original point has been missed in this all. Making my points clearer I guess.

Brass program from sound and educational stand point.

Placement doesn't matter.

I am not looking to make it now, rather the season between HS Senior and College Freshman.

Didn't think this post would cause such ranting and bashing as it has... DCP has a bunch of trolls eh?

Edit: Cadets98, if you wouldn't mind giving the name?

Edited by Pat61

Quite frankly this OP is rather naïve. Every top corps has an excellent brass staff and brass placement (as well as all the other captions) depends more on talent and show design than staff competence. It’s best to march where your heart tells you to march. If you want to march with the most consistent top brass section, march BD!

I would not say the OP is naive, but only being influenced by the current instant gratification culture type of people where the only value to them in doing something is to either do it right now with an existing winner or not do it at all. Notice even in this thread; many are pushing the OP toward the Cavilers (multiple rings) and Crown (multiple Ott titles) and just a few are attempting to promote the inherent value of Spirit. I have been with a winning corps and have been with a non-winning corps; both experiences were wonderful and both had their downfalls. Winning when it occurs should be cherished, but not the end all of all in the decision making process. As an old fart I have come to realize that the people you associate yourself with is far greater than any ring or caption award!!!

Edited by Stu
  • Like 3

I would not say the OP is naive, but only being influenced by the current instant gratification culture type of people where the only value to them in doing something is to either do it right now with an existing winner or not do it at all. Notice even in this thread; many are pushing the OP toward the Cavilers (multiple rings) and Crown (multiple Ott titles) and just a few are attempting to promote the inherent value of Spirit. I have been with a winning corps and have been with a non-winning corps; both experiences were wonderful and both had their downfalls. Winning when it occurs should be cherished, but not the end all of all in the decision making process. As an old fart I have come to realize that the people you associate yourself with is far greater than any ring or caption award!!!

Thats where I am different haha, I couldn't care less about the awards but rather the value of the experience.

• Like 1

I love how much my original point has been missed in this all. Making my points clearer I guess.

Brass program from sound and educational stand point.

Placement doesn't matter.

I am not looking to make it now, rather the season between HS Senior and College Freshman.

Didn't think this post would cause such ranting and bashing as it has... DCP has a bunch of trolls eh?Edit: Cadets98, if you wouldn't mind giving the name?

I wouldn't call anyone on DCP necessarily a troll. What DCP is, is a group of people who are very passionate, educated and committed to the success of drum corps and their respected corps. You have to remember there are people on this forum who have been around drum corps longer then you have been alive and have spent countless hours and dollars to ensure its success/future.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 1

I honestly did not get that impression from the OP. What I read in the message was a question about philosophy and/or teaching technique. This is a very valid question to ask yourself when choosing a corps. When I marched the question was do you want to have a laid back summer and play jazz with a great hornline? (BD) or Do you wanna get your butt kicked all summer but march great drill and be a part of a long tradition? (Cadets). One was not necessarily better than the other. My rookie year both groups had equal number of championships. It was a question of philosophy and preference and not necessarily about winning. I did not get that he was asking about what is better--winning brass or the title. That's where all of the other posters took it. Anyways, to the OP, why not come out to Bluecoats. ;)

• Like 2