Anyone Marched Cavaliers and Crown?

Pat61

This is just a question and nothing more than a question; so you DCP hound dogs who cry foul all the time please try to not pounce: Are you suggesting that the OP, who is from Georgia, purchase rather expensive flights to two Cavalier Camps and two Crown camps withing the span of eight weeks to check out the atmospheres when he could merely drive to two Spirit Camps for a lot, and I mean a lot less money?

Not to mention having just as high of a quality of experience at Spirit, and having just as good a chance of finding what he said in his original post that he was looking for in his drum corps experience.

• Like 1

I have heard (I don't know if it's true or not) that members who make mistakes during fundamentals are taken to a special fundamental block and drilled very hard. More like a punishment, than extra assistance. I guess it's a form of motivation, just not the form I would like to be involved in. Can anyone confirm this?

I see. That doesn't seem like anything really outside of normal in my drum corps experience... there are often punishments for mistakes, whether they are laps or pushups or more fundamentals.

edit to add: especially in the earlier part of the season, when corps are still building endurance and getting in full performance shape.

Edited by soccerguy315

This is just a question and nothing more than a question; so you DCP hound dogs who cry foul all the time please try to not pounce: Are you suggesting that the OP, who is from Georgia, purchase rather expensive flights to two Cavalier Camps and two Crown camps withing the span of eight weeks to check out the atmospheres when he could merely drive to two Spirit Camps for a lot, and I mean a lot less money?

Have you guys considered that Spirit just may not be his style? Proximity is not the only deciding factor in choosing a drum corps. Just ask the Crossmen.

• Like 1

Have you guys considered that Spirit just may not be his style? Proximity is not the only deciding factor in choosing a drum corps. Just ask the Crossmen.

Apparently you failed to read his origonal post, the very first post in this thread, where he wrote this: "I am planning on auditioning for Crown and Spirit this fall...".

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

If you march Cavaliers, you're automatically into guys, a bad brass player, and youre a great marcher (your show's only concern is visual). Oh and you'll sleep a lot.

If you march Crown, you're automatically a bando, a bad marcher (your show's only concern is brass), and you can play a Bflat chord in tune

If you march at Spirit, you're automatically going to have to fight for respect for thousands of high schoolers and college students who dont understand how much work goes into a show no matter what place it gets, and you play Georgia.

edit/addition.

No direct disrespect intended. This is based of my experience with the public mixed with corps stereotypes.

I can be positive though, and say, go to camps. Find what group of members/staff/administration you like or get along with. Don't care about what anyone says about your corps because at that point it becomes yours, and you will walk with the image of the corps on your shoulders. Be proud of where you march.

All 3 corps offer great educational programs.

I would assume Crown or Cavaliers would boost you the most, no matter how good you are, because you will be around more advanced players and proven staff.

Edited by TheClutch
  • Like 4

If you march Cavaliers, you're automatically into guys, a bad brass player, and youre a great marcher. Oh and you'll sleep a lot.

If you march Crown, you're automatically a bando, a bad marcher, and you can play a Bflat chord in tune.

If you march at Spirit, you're automatically going to have to fight for respect for thousands of high schoolers and college students who dont understand how much work goes into a show no matter what place it gets, and you play Georgia.

You nailed it. haha But the bad marcher thing would have to be both. Well, we all know my opinion.

• Like 1

If you march Cavaliers, you're automatically into guys, a bad brass player, and youre a great marcher (your show's only concern is visual). Oh and you'll sleep a lot.

If you march Crown, you're automatically a bando, a bad marcher (your show's only concern is brass), and you can play a Bflat chord in tune

edit/addition.

No direct disrespect intended. This is based of my experience with the public mixed with corps stereotypes.

I can be positive though, and say, go to camps. Find what group of members/staff/administration you like or get along with. Don't care about what anyone says about your corps because at that point it becomes yours, and you will walk with the image of the corps on your shoulders. Be proud of where you march.

All 3 corps offer great educational programs.

I would assume Crown or Cavaliers would boost you the most, no matter how good you are, because you will be around more advanced players and proven staff.

Yeah, don't know why this got a neg. Funny stuff.

To answer the question, yes people have marched at Cavaliers then Crown. Some people have marched Crown then Cavaliers.

You would probably be surprised at how many people in recent years have marched Crown, then left and come to Spirit.

It's all about finding which corps is a good and comfortable fit for YOU.

• Like 1

You would probably be surprised at how many people in recent years have marched Crown, then left and come to Spirit.

It's all about finding which corps is a good and comfortable fit for YOU.

I marched Crown for the past 6 years and not a single member who I marched with ever left to go march Spirit, except for Aaron Railey, who marched in the pit at Crown in 2009 and 2010, and wanted to be in the battery, so he marched as the center snare for Spirit in 2011, and is now on the snareline for Crown 2012. Not saying its out of the question, just that it hasn't happened once in the past six years.

Unless you're talking about people who got cut from Crown who went to Spirit...that is definitely something that happens a lot.

• Like 4