Anyone Marched Cavaliers and Crown?

Pat61

No mallets in parade??? Next thing you'll tell me the tymp players pulled the water cart.

Oh wait... no water cart in the 70s that I remember.... glad we wised up.

You're right that there was no water cart, and very few water breaks. However, we were allowed to keep any moisture we could suck in through our pores.

That is very disgusting, Michael.

You've never absorbed moisture through your pores?

My point is the whole concept of hydration has changed dramatically since the 1970s. Water breaks were just not that important because water wasn't that important, unless one's eyelashes were fluttering uncontrollably. Our breakfasts also consisted of doughnuts and milk. I'm serious. We didn't have a food truck. Heck, we didn't even have a food trailer until 1977; a small pop-up camper best suited for going into the Adirondacks with a Coleman stove. Our food was transported in cans under the buses. Sports nutrition was a concept still off in the distance. Napoleon's quote about an army running on its stomach hadn't made it to the corps yet because there was no Internet and no one had read his biography.

Those of us who have been around awhile remember when kids used to faint coming off the field fairly regularly. Now they don't. I asked a drum corps nurse about this several years ago and her response was, "Nutrition is so much better now."

If you want to hear something disgusting, let me tell you about this mole... :shutup:

If you want to hear something disgusting, let me tell you about this mole... :shutup:

Or "that" procedure after males hit 50 (due for my next one).... :shutup:

Agree on the hydration changes, remember a drummer carrying a water bag on the end of his snare and people laughing about it. Now we have the water wagon (thank goodness for corps spouses) :worthy: and "Summer" unis for hot ###ed parades. Shorts, golf shirts and ball caps may not be the most impressive things to wear on the street but we're safer.

Few years back saw a movie of Bear Bryant while he was a young coach in Texas (ca late 40s?). "Junction Boys" is in the title somewhere. Great way to see how hydration ideas changed as then drinking water while working out was thought to make you sick and the idea that you could get used to not drinking water and so be tougher on the field. Then you have the scene when the one player has heat stroke.....

what is this?

I have heard (I don't know if it's true or not) that members who make mistakes during fundamentals are taken to a special fundamental block and drilled very hard. More like a punishment, than extra assistance. I guess it's a form of motivation, just not the form I would like to be involved in. Can anyone confirm this?

Both Cavaliers and Crown are excellent corps. If I lived near Spirit, I would give them a consideration. Like another poster mentioned, you would get a great experience with them and also save some $$$. With today's economic woes, staying close to home, if possible, should be considered. Good luck!

• Like 1

Bras program at Cavies is okay. Tehy actually play above a mf now, but they aren't even close to the horn lines around them. If you want to play with an amazing sounding hornline who plays IN TUNE!!!!!!! go to Crown.

Both corps are great. I would just rather be with Crown myself. I also look at marching technique as a factor. And I couldn't deal with looking like a bag of ### the entire show, so that's another reason I would go to Crown.

Flame away... it's early Saturday morning... I don't care what I say.

I have to disagree with your comment here. I have always said that out of the top 5 or top 3 corps The Cavaliers have an extremely underrated horn line. I recommend you listen to Cavies 03 horn line. That is a top notch GREAT sounding horn line. In my opinion, one of the best horn lines to ever come out of the corps. And of course I know I am a Cavies fan, but in general I am a fan of ALL corps. I won't lie that Crown had a better horn line last season BUT to say that The Cavaliers aren't as good as the corps around them... well I don't exactly believe you on that. (By the way, your comment on marching tech. is your opinion which, in a sort of sense, I respect... however, I disagree...)

Now i'm not saying The Cavaliers aren't the best horn line out there, in fact, I don't think any corps has the best horn line just the cleanest at a certain point in time. Even at that go listen to Cavies last season... yeah sure they got fourth, but I think they are headed in the right direction. Besides go listen to some of the licks in Jungle Tango. It really is CLEAN.

And to the person who started this thread... I say audition where you feel right at home. In all seriousness I have an extremely close friend who auditioned for Crown and she told me that she didn't feel right there. She just didn't feel at home. So, she actually auditioned for Revolution last summer and is currently marching with Troopers this summer. She loves being with the Troopers! She even got me a t-shirt because she is so excited for the summer. :thumbup: just do what you feel is right!

Edited by Hook'emCavies

I have heard (I don't know if it's true or not) that members who make mistakes during fundamentals are taken to a special fundamental block and drilled very hard. More like a punishment, than extra assistance. I guess it's a form of motivation, just not the form I would like to be involved in. Can anyone confirm this?

That's probably just a one-day thing where it's the midseason "kick your ### to make you stronger" phase anyway.

I have to disagree with your comment here. I have always said that out of the top 5 or top 3 corps The Cavaliers have an extremely underrated horn line. I recommend you listen to Cavies 03 horn line. That is a top notch GREAT sounding horn line. In my opinion, one of the best horn lines to ever come out of the corps. And of course I know I am a Cavies fan, but in general I am a fan of ALL corps. I won't lie that Crown had a better horn line last season BUT to say that The Cavaliers aren't as good as the corps around them... well I don't exactly believe you on that. (By the way, your comment on marching tech. is your opinion which, in a sort of sense, I respect... however, I disagree...)

I agree their 2003 line sounded great, and they were my favorite horn line that year. But in recent years they have had the good core sound, but haven't been impressed with intonation and sometimes uncharacteristic sounds coming from the line. Yeah, you'll catch that in any brass line in world class, I just felt like Cavies were suffering with consistency a lot more than the corps around them. I will give you that the last two years there has been some major improvements. But they still have some work to do to get up to the performance level of BD, Crown, and Cadets. I think their books could be more challenging also. However, when they changed arrangers the books became more demanding immediately. I think that was in 09?

Of course they are still a good place to go march. I know they are teaching good things. I just think they need to demand more out of the brass performance.

And I will never like their marching technique. I just can't. It goes against everything I have ever been taught about marching. But I do respect that it works. And I feel like some years it has been really clean (2002, 2006) where the technique actually looks decent. But I feel like it varies way to much person to person to really look clean. I mean I drool over BD and their technique. LIke you said, I respect your opinion, I just disagree.

Oh and I barely remember posting that anyway... I was having a good time that night... and somehow ended up on DCP... haha.