Anyone Marched Cavaliers and Crown?

Pat61

I actually thought about coming to the Bluecoats day camp in Atlanta this winter, but my own High School band had stuff that day. >.<

Thats where I am different haha, I couldn't care less about the awards but rather the value of the experience.

That is the actual question.. value of the experience. That certainly depends on what you want to get out of it. What you want to focus on. Pretty much all the corps out these these guys can provide a killer experience. If you are looking at this from an education perspective, some corps will emphasis different things than others or will require that you already come with a certain set of skills... so, while those would be applied there, they are not learnt there.

It also comes down to your personal goals and the type of experience you'd like to have. If you're young and would be barely making it into a top corps, I might suggest that wouldn't be all that fun. You certainly want to be challenged, but not to the point where you can't enjoy the experience. I'd suggest going where you can be challenged, but also confident, where you will learn a lot, but not be overwhelmed.

• Like 1

I actually thought about coming to the Bluecoats day camp in Atlanta this winter, but my own High School band had stuff that day. >.<

Well if that happens again next year, let one of us know. The corps director always forwards us the emails he gets regarding conflicts. We have accommodated conflicts with video auditions in the past although you are still required to pay the registration fee.

I honestly did not get that impression from the OP... I did not get that he was asking about what is better--winning brass or the title. That's where all of the other posters took it.

My point exactly. The OP was just seeking advice; and he is mostly getting advice from those who seem to only value instant gratification and winning.

• Like 2

That is the actual question.. value of the experience. That certainly depends on what you want to get out of it. What you want to focus on. Pretty much all the corps out these these guys can provide a killer experience. If you are looking at this from an education perspective, some corps will emphasis different things than others or will require that you already come with a certain set of skills... so, while those would be applied there, they are not learnt there.

It also comes down to your personal goals and the type of experience you'd like to have. If you're young and would be barely making it into a top corps, I might suggest that wouldn't be all that fun. You certainly want to be challenged, but not to the point where you can't enjoy the experience. I'd suggest going where you can be challenged, but also confident, where you will learn a lot, but not be overwhelmed.

There is hope for you yet, D-Ray, hope for you yet :satisfied:

Edited by Stu

To the OP:

Go march Spirit. Knowing several of their brass staff personally, I can guarantee you will get a wonderful experience there.

Besides, at 16, you're not going to make Crown or Cavaliers anyway.

• Like 3

To the OP:

Go march Spirit. Knowing several of their brass staff personally, I can guarantee you will get a wonderful experience there.

Besides, at 16, you're not going to make Crown or Cavaliers anyway.

1. Nothing says I couldn't make it at 16.

2. I have said multiple times that I am auditioning in a year or two....

anyway... thanks to everyone who posted.

• Like 1

1. Nothing says I couldn't make it at 16.

2. I have said multiple times that I am auditioning in a year or two....

anyway... thanks to everyone who posted.

True, but highly unlikely.

• Like 2

There is a point in the original post which it seems everyone has missed. The OP said he still has "like 5 years or so of eligibility left"...which places his age at 15 or 16. I wonder, are there alot of 15 and 16 year olds in either Crown or Cavies? It would seem to me that he would need to be REALLY good at his age to make the cut at either.

Yes, there have been kids at that age in corps of that caliber. However, at that age - we're talking about child prodigies. I can't confirm this (if someone from Crown can, please do) but I heard that Crown had a 14 year old recently. Again though...we are talking about a seriously gifted individual if true. Point being, yes...corps of that level will accept extremely young kids if they are beyond their years in ability, talent and maturity. It happens probably more frequently than we realize. I think there is a misconception that because corps at the top often have an average age of 20 that they never accept extremely younger kids with great talent. Not true. If they have it, they have it.