The impact of the cost of fuel on DCI

Did you mean K? Because I want to know which DCI corps has three-quarters of a billion dollars to spend every year. :thumbup:

On a side note, with rising costs (including gas), does anyone see DCI returning to the pre-DCI competition model, with most corps only performing locally or regionally, and everyone not meeting up until Championships?

no because that would admit their marketing game plan was not working

If we all survived the summer of 2008, we can all afford this summer. The corps will be fine. I remember being in an Open Class corps that didn't house us, so we had to drive to practice every day, and I remember driving around the city for 40 minutes after practice trying to find gas under $5.00, that was a pain, even in a car that got amazing mileage.

Doesn't gas usually go up in the summer months every year it seems? I would hope that the corps would have "expected" to some extent an increase in gas prices and set their fundraising goals accordingly...

But obviously you can't predict everything and money is hard to come by but if your business revolves so much around moving a whole fleet of vehicles all across the country getting enough money for gas and preparing for the prices volatility would be a priority no?

Edited by charlie1223

My forte is in fixed income and economics and the bond market internationally uses "m" and "mm" exclusively. I haven't used "k" in decades and have to double-check when I see it to make sure I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing.

I usually drive my equity traders crazy with the m's, but the bond guys always chuckle.

Doing stuff in Europe and US all the time gets crazy with , and . being swiched.. example $1,450.25 vs. 1.450,25 € .... and dates are backwards... 02/25/2012 vs. 2012.25.02.

I've actually showed up before for a meeting on the wrong day because i read the date wrong. :)

Gas is $6.70 a gallon here right now.

I don't think there will be a strong or sustained rally in oil prices right now because of the fact that prices are high in Europe right now due to refinery capacity issues and reduction in state driven consumption. Combine this with economic uncertainty in Europe, and you've got a larger issue.

Since prices are already high in Europe now, if they get higher, the reaction is to simply stop driving, since the are many alternative and efficient means of public transport.

This differs from America in that the way it is set up, Americans are forced to suck it up and keep driving.

What is different now than before, is that the euro is weaker and the eurozone economy is uncertain. Last time when oil prices went sky high, Europe didn't really feel it as much because of the falling dollar compared to the euro.

Anyway, because of the current factors now.. Europe would simply decrease demand and act as a sort of pressure valve on the global market. Speculators may be able to temporarily jack up prices based on issues in the middle east, particularly Iran, but again... US doesn't buy from Iran, Europe does.. and this would just simply cause even greater reduction in demand in Europe, benefiting the US consumers.

Could it happen? Possible... but it is also an election year... so....

I agree. Good summation.

Doesn't gas usually go up in the summer months every year it seems? I would hope that the corps would have "expected" to some extent an increase in gas prices and set their fundraising goals accordingly...

But that summer rise usually doesn't start in Feburary.

Iran doesn't threaten to close the Strait of Hormuz every summer....

Good luck with that. I'm sure their fleet of 30 year old Boston Whalers terrifies the US Navy.