The impact of the cost of fuel on DCI

Did you mean K? Because I want to know which DCI corps has three-quarters of a billion dollars to spend every year. :thumbup:

On a side note, with rising costs (including gas), does anyone see DCI returning to the pre-DCI competition model, with most corps only performing locally or regionally, and everyone not meeting up until Championships?

Did you mean K? Because I want to know which DCI corps has three-quarters of a billion dollars to spend every year. :thumbup:

On a side note, with rising costs (including gas), does anyone see DCI returning to the pre-DCI competition model, with most corps only performing locally or regionally, and everyone not meeting up until Championships?

I doubt it. Since corps are basically on the road all the time, they'd still be driving from place to place every day, just in a smaller piece of geography, so I don't see huge savings in fuel. It would mean some sort of return to weekend-only corps, and given the recruitment model I personally don't see it happening, but hey...who knows!

Sorry guys, in my business a single "m" is thousands and "mm" is millions.

Are we going to accept his apology, hostrauser?

• Like 1

Boy, with all these prognostications around, can one of you tell me if I should cover my shorts today, or tomorrow morning instead?

The difference between $4.50/gal diesel and $5.5/gal diesel is about $30m for the season for an average full-tour corps. Not that it's not a bite to pay more for fuel, but most full-tour corps are the top-placing corps that run $750m annual budgets.

Five dollar gas ($5.50 diesel) is not the end of the world, nor the end of drum corps.

If it survived the 1970's, it'll survive this season, too.

I suggest covering your shorts today and tomorrow.... that is if you plan on going out of the house. Miserable weather here, didn't go out... so, didn't cover my shorts all day.

Edited by danielray

Rising fuel costs and food costs have the potential to be budget busters for many corps this Summer. It is only the end of February and many fans like myself are trying to figure what we can spend on drum crops this year. I admit it I am a Drum Corps Whale (One of those guys sitting high up at every major show all Summer long) but let me tell you it has gotten very expensive. Twenty years ago you could go to a regional for $300 in expenses. Cheap airfare, Motel 6 and Piza Hut.

This Summer for airfare, show tickets, rental car, hotel, food (I don't drink), airport parking and souvenirs will cost an average of $700.00 a weekend for 7 weekends = $4,900. On top of that I have donations to the corps that I marched in plus I am paying a large part of a members dues.

Bottom Line: I have to cut back my spending. Three or Four weekends is my budget this year. Rest of shows I can watch on Fan Network. For these prices the corps better be entertaining.

Edited by dcifanforlife
  • Like 1

I doubt it. Since corps are basically on the road all the time, they'd still be driving from place to place every day, just in a smaller piece of geography, so I don't see huge savings in fuel. It would mean some sort of return to weekend-only corps, and given the recruitment model I personally don't see it happening, but hey...who knows!

Some economists on the fringe of economic forecasts ( Dr David Weidemer for example )are projecting gas prices at between $16-20 a gallon by 2016. If that occurs, Drum Corps will be the least of our concern and worries, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

Are we going to accept his apology, hostrauser?

:laughing:

M (Latin for "Mille"; a thousand) and MM ("thousand thousand" or million) are still used a lot overseas, but I don't see it that often in America any more.

OFF WITH HIS HEAD!

Seriously though, Garfield, do you work with Europeans a lot? I'm in finance, too, but most of my UK contacts are ex-pats, and I've gotten so used to seeing K/M/B I forgot all about M/MM.

:laughing:

M (Latin for "Mille"; a thousand) and MM ("thousand thousand" or million) are still used a lot overseas, but I don't see it that often in America any more.

OFF WITH HIS HEAD!

Seriously though, Garfield, do you work with Europeans a lot? I'm in finance, too, but most of my UK contacts are ex-pats, and I've gotten so used to seeing K/M/B I forgot all about M/MM.

My forte is in fixed income and economics and the bond market internationally uses "m" and "mm" exclusively. I haven't used "k" in decades and have to double-check when I see it to make sure I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing.

I usually drive my equity traders crazy with the m's, but the bond guys always chuckle.

Ah, okay. I'm a corporate project controller, so I deal with a lot of budgeting and forecasting. We use K/M/B.

:offtopic:

Sorry, DCP. And now, back to your regularly scheduled bickering.