What corps.......

SCV holds most of their rehearsals in San Jose since the staff have connections there. After move ins, they go all over California for rehearsals

Edited by Contra94

That all makes sense, and isn't a good chunk of the Boston staff from Florida?

If weather is the problem, I wonder why madison only travels a few hours south? Does indiana not get snow?

Also, it's great for the california corps, especially this year when they can be outside for every camp

Actually, I can only think of three staff members in BAC that are from Florida....several from the Boston area, another chunk from Texas, a crew from Canada, and another bunch from SC up through PA. The days of the "Florida Staff" have morphed into a very diverse groupd of people.

The major diving force behind the camps continues to be climate.

• Like 1

The Crossmen WERE from West Chester, PA. They are not anymore, which is pretty obvious. But they are still the Crossmen. Heck, when was the last time they were actually from West Chester. They've been from Wilmington/Newark, DE; Bensalem, PA; YEA; and Allentown, PA. And I might have missed one.

Yes West Chester is still a "home" for the corps and Crossmen alumni are everywhere around here. I run into to people at Wawa all the time, haha. The whole East Coast is home for the Crossmen. And so is the whole state of Texas.

The Crossmen are from San Antonio, TX right now. Trust me I know... I flew 2,000 miles to camps and spring training that were all in San Antonio.

My take away? I LOVE Wawa.

That all makes sense, and isn't a good chunk of the Boston staff from Florida?

If weather is the problem, I wonder why madison only travels a few hours south? Does indiana not get snow?

Also, it's great for the california corps, especially this year when they can be outside for every camp

In a word, no.

SCV holds most of their rehearsals in San Jose since the staff have connections there. After move ins, they go all over California for rehearsals

Why are marching bands in warm weather climates, on the whole, better than marching bands, on the whole, from sub freezing regions of the country ? I simply can't quite grasp why this would be so.

Its like Ice Hockey. How come the school participation in Ice Hockey in the South is not as strong typicallty as that of say in Madison, Wisconsin, Boston, Mass or Montreal, Quebec Canada ? How come McGill Univ. in Montreal doesn't have a great college marching band ?Its a good school and it has a terrific college undergrad music program. I could never figure this dynamic out either. I still don't understand why so many Corps want to recruit band members to their Corps from schools in Southern Calif, South and the Southwest either. Or why schools in the South look to northern USA climates and to Canada for hockey players and staff for their school and their Ice Hockey program. Its just all too confusing for me.

opps.. I got a red mark, so at least SOMEBODY knows why things happen the way they do, and thats a start toward possible enlightenment as to the " why ", anyway. Even if I havn't quite been able to figure these eternal questions out yet.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

Why are marching bands in warm weather climates, on the whole, better than marching bands, on the whole, from sub freezing regions of the country ? I simply can't quite grasp why this would be so.

Its like Ice Hockey. How come the school participation in Ice Hockey in the South is not as strong typicallty as that of say in Madison, Wisconsin, Boston, Mass or Montreal, Quebec Canada ? I could never figure this dynamic out either. I still don't unmderstand why so many Corps want to recruit band members from Southern Calif, South and the Southwest either. Or why schools in the South look to northern climates for hockey players and staff for their school and its hockey program. Its just all too confusing.

opps.. I got a red mark, so at least SOMEBODY knows why things happen the way they do, and thats a start toward enlightenment as to the " why ", anyway.

:thumbup:

Some people seem to get very defensive about this topic and I don't understand why. The days of all local membership are long gone. The corps go where the kids are and the kids go where the corps are.

The 2011 show "Revolution" was one of my favorite BAC shows, and I go back a while with Boston Crusaders. I'm glad they had winter rehearsals in Florida because with the winter we had last year, BAC quite possibly would not have made finals. If winter camps had been in New England, they would have lost too much valuable time.

As I see this post regarding hometowns, and Boston being mentioned as a place where there are corporate offices only, a statement that I, along with other posters believe is erroneous, I was reminded of last summer's East Coast Classic. A group of then current members were at the gates when people were leaving, thanking them for attending the show and supporting BAC. More than a few had accents, one sounded like he wanted to join in a rousing chorus of "Deep in the Heart of Texas." Didn't sound like Hyde Park to me. When I saw BAC on the field earlier, they were far more polished than BAC twenty or thirty years ago, but there was something that screamed tradition and excellence as they competed, a trait always associated with BAC even in tough years. People who marched with BAC when they were feared, and as anyone who knows BAC remembers, they had a glare as they approached the field that said "get out of my way" felt the show was for them. Those who marched with BAC when they fielded a corps with numbers of small people wondered if they'd be able to present show, felt rewarded for hanging in there. Former North Stars and 27th lancers, who probably never imagined they'd be cheering for a corps that was part of a very heated rivalry, felt BAC was marching for them. Boston Crusaders is all about tradition. Few corps can brag about having three generations of family members who marched, and I'm willing to bet it won't be long until there will be the beginnings of a fourth generation. Tradition made many Massachusetts drum corps special, and BAC today, even with many out of state members keeps that tradition alive. As long a this tradition continues, it won't bother me if they have winter rehearsals in Florida and say "carrr" instead of "caaaah."

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 3

The major diving force behind the camps continues to be climate.

so long as one doesn't force a late nite dive off a certain family's backyard pool up in Maine in mid February.

SPLATT !... call 911 !!

Edited by BRASSO

The 2011 show “Revolution” was one of my favorite BAC shows, and I go back a while with Boston Crusaders. I’m glad they had winter rehearsals in Florida because with the winter we had last year, BAC quite possibly would not have made finals. If winter camps had been in New England, they would have lost too much valuable time.

As I see this post regarding hometowns, and Boston being mentioned as a place where there are corporate offices only, a statement that I, along with other posters believe is erroneous, I was reminded of last summer’s East Coast Classic. A group of then current members were at the gates when people were leaving, thanking them for attending the show and supporting BAC. More than a few had accents, one sounded like he wanted to join in a rousing chorus of “Deep in the Heart of Texas.” Didn’t sound like Hype Park to me. When I saw BAC on the field earlier, they were far more polished than BAC twenty or thirty years ago, but there was something that screamed tradition and excellence as they competed, a trait always associated with BAC even in tough years. People who marched with BAC when they were feared, and as anyone who knows BAC remembers, they had a glare as they approached the field that said “get out of my way” felt the show was for them. Those who marched with BAC when they fielded a corps with numbers of small people wondered if they’d be able to present show, felt rewarded for hanging in there. Former North Stars and 27th lancers, who probably never imagined they’d be cheering for a corps that was part of a very heated rivalry, felt BAC was marching for them. Boston Crusaders is all about tradition. Few corps can brag about having three generations of family members who marched, and I’m willing to bet it won’t be long until there will be the beginnings of a fourth generation. Tradition made many Massachusetts drum corps special, and BAC today, even with many out of state members keeps that tradition alive. As long a this tradition continues, it won’t bother me if they have winter rehearsals in Florida and say “carrr” instead of “caaaah.”

This is a " wicked good" post re. the Boston Crusaders.

('just kiddin'... haha..... good stuff. )

Edited by BRASSO

If Boston and Madison keep putting out the kind of shows they've put out lately, I don't care if they rehearse on Pluto. Keep it coming.

Edited by contrajedi8
  • Like 3