1998 Madison Scouts is DCI.org Download of the Week

Madison that season moved battery percussion players from instrument to instrument during the show. If I remember right, during the opener (Lupin) they marched almost all snares, then almost all toms during Hall of the Mountain King, then to a "regular" setup for Remembrance. It was a gimmick, sure, but like most Madison gimmicks, it was a fun one, and the crowd always loved it. (As a drummer, I get excited by absurdly large sections of any kind...)

Mike

The bass line was the only section that didn't switch. All the tenors played snare in the opener. All but three snares played tenors in the second tune. Remembrance was the only "normal" tune.

Wasn't that the year they came to Concord? They rocked the house at DVC that night. Got a huge standing O.

They might have gone west that year; I don't know. I know we had a west coast tour in '94. I remember seeing BD in Concord for the first time in '94. I very much remember wondering if they were doing something like wearing their west coast uniforms, because that was not what the Devils were supposed to look like.

Back on topic, I really like this show, too. Although, I might have to quibble with anyone who says that Remembrance is the best [even Madison] closer, ever [or even of the '90s]. I think I might have marched in 1 or 2 that I like better, but that's OK; Remembrance was great.

The bass line was the only section that didn't switch. All the tenors played snare in the opener. All but three snares played tenors in the second tune. Remembrance was the only "normal" tune.

And if I remember correctly from listening, that drumline was pretty good that year too, even with the snares on tenor and vice versa. Especially the bass line. They were tight.

And Remembrance has to be in my Top 3 All-Time favorite closers from the Scouts. A very close second to the '95 Malaga. But top to bottom that show was killer. Even with the gimmicks, it wasn't cheesy. From the guard in the same uniforms as the corps proper for the opener to the shifting drumline numbers. Lupon was a GREAT opener and that little tag of "REAL DRUM CORPS!!" from the crowd right before the first hit just made it all the more awesome. :tongue:

Indeed we did go out west in 1998. In fact, I remember on our way out west I remember staying in Minden Nebraska, Glenwood Springs CO, Moab Utah, Elko Nevada had a concert at the Capital in Sacramento then over to Concord. I believe we had about 3 or 4 freedays in during a two week stretch. (Santa Cruz, San Fran, Monterrey), then made our way down to Stockton, Modesto, Tulare(?), and Anaheim I think we also had a free day in Vegas soon thereafter. Good times.

From what I remember, the average age of the corps that year was around 20 years old. Old corps. When we were around Santa Clara, it was the only time I remember Stewart looking at our coordination session and saying (paraphrase) "Okay, no run through tonight. You guys are looking good for this time in the season".

• Like 1

That 98 tour was uber fun. Like Sly said, we indeed went west and had a blast. Playing beach volleyball along the Pacific in Santa Cruz and seeing Doc Holliday's grave site in Glenwood Springs, CO were some of my fondest memories. I was on the cymbal line and while that year's drumline was tight, we definitely went through our growing pains. Shoot, we even lost bass No. 4 early in the tour and had to get an emergency replacement in the form of Rugenstein.

• Like 2

Madison that season moved battery percussion players from instrument to instrument during the show. If I remember right, during the opener (Lupin) they marched almost all snares, then almost all toms during Hall of the Mountain King, then to a "regular" setup for Remembrance. It was a gimmick, sure, but like most Madison gimmicks, it was a fun one, and the crowd always loved it. (As a drummer, I get excited by absurdly large sections of any kind...)

Mike

Thanks. I've had that info added to the article.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, Mike, I think Les Etoiles in one of their final years is the only other DCI corps that's ever tried that during an entire show (rather than one piece like Cadets' 1991 Short Ride opener, Boston's Malaguena in '03, etc.).

Mike