accent marching...just posted selling equipement

I've been thinking about this, and I see a purpose to the red and green marks in order to give readers a chance to express a positive or negative opinion on a specific comment. However, I wonder if the act of dialogue between fans might be improved if those marks were not counted up in a total number of ratings for each poster. I feel comfortable suggesting that since I have a few positive accumulated ratings, which I hope would give the idea more credence than if I suggested it with a negative rating of several dozen red points.

I wonder if someone wishing to offer contrary views may hold back because they don't want to be perceived a a contrarian simply by the notion of having a low overall rating. The fact that someone may generate lots of negative ratings doesn't mean we would respect them less as someone who loves drum corps. They wouldn't be on this site if they didn't.

See, that's part of my problem with it. If people are afraid to voice their opinion (LOL yeah, I know... "ON DCP???") then the system is preventing the free flow of ideas. Since all the green checks in the world won't get me a cup of coffee in real life, I simply can't understand getting upset for getting downvoted, or getting excited for getting upvoted. It's not like Reddit and other sites where your comment will disappear...

• Like 1

I've been thinking about this, and I see a purpose to the red and green marks in order to give readers a chance to express a positive or negative opinion on a specific comment. However, I wonder if the act of dialogue between fans might be improved if those marks were not counted up in a total number of ratings for each poster. I feel comfortable suggesting that since I have a few positive accumulated ratings, which I hope would give the idea more credence than if I suggested it with a negative rating of several dozen red points.

I wonder if someone wishing to offer contrary views may hold back because they don't want to be perceived a a contrarian simply by the notion of having a low overall rating. The fact that someone may generate lots of negative ratings doesn't mean we would respect them less as someone who loves drum corps. They wouldn't be on this site if they didn't.

but... I thought a person's ranking on DCP is the 2nd best measure of their value as a person; surely the only better indicator is number of facebook friends.

• Like 4

but... I thought a person's ranking on DCP is the 2nd best measure of their value as a person; surely the only better indicator is number of facebook friends.

No; one's value as a person is proportional to the placement of the corps they marched and/or the corps of which they're a big fan. :rolleyes:

This is measured by the DCI (Dignity Consciousness Individualizer) Index of Leading Indicators.

• Like 3

No; one's value as a person is proportional to the placement of the corps they marched and/or the corps of which they're a big fan. :rolleyes:

This is measured by the DCI (Dignity Consciousness Individualizer) Index of Leading Indicators.

Silly rabbit, there's no dignity in drum corps.

Silly rabbit, there's no dignity in drum corps.

Well...not in the locker rooms.

Edit: Some may have forgotten about those threads that come up almost every year from a new potential marcher who is very shy, mentioning that they're somewhat uncomfortable with the idea of showering with a bunch of other people. It is a real fear among some and should not be taken lightly by those who don't have that concern. That's what I was referring to.

Everyone has different things that impact their personal sense of dignity.

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 4

Good Grief!!! I am reading notes of green/red popularity anxiety passed back and forth just like elementary school kids!!! As for my take on thei so very important issue please see my signature found on all of my postings!!!

• Like 1

You may think more about this than anyone on DCP! :tongue: