DCA Accepting Bids For 2014, 2015 World Championships

What would also be nice for a NASHVILLE bid, is that it has so much else to do. A real "Full Family Vacation" could be formed around a DCA Championship. Also I think Vanderbilt Univ is there. (Big Stadium) Tenn. Titans(NFL Big Stadium). Lots of Hotels. The Big Country Music scene, on and on. Alot of things going on even for those in the family that might not want to go to ALL the DCA events. There are also, Both DCI and DCA groups in the area. Not to mention Drum Corps people from the South (A very Growing area), that might be willing to drive some (from GA, NC, KY, FL, AL) to Nashville as opposed to a Cleveland, Toledo, Charlotte, Memphis or back to Scranton, Pittsburh, Allentown, Rochester.

BUT. It still takes someone willing to take a BIG CHANCE, with a lot of money, to make a BID. I do hope that this moving every 2 years is GOOD for DCA. That more place's get to have the oppertunity to host it in our "DCA World".

If not Vandy, you also have Tennessee State (more likely as FCS schools typically get an away game that first weekend of the season). Or, both schools put a bid together that in case they've alternating years of stadium availability, you can go between both campuses. (Though, TSU has a more open campus than Vandy from when I've wandered around both).

• Like 1

What would also be nice for a NASHVILLE bid, is that it has so much else to do. A real "Full Family Vacation" could be formed around a DCA Championship. Also I think Vanderbilt Univ is there. (Big Stadium) Tenn. Titans(NFL Big Stadium). Lots of Hotels. The Big Country Music scene, on and on. Alot of things going on even for those in the family that might not want to go to ALL the DCA events. There are also, Both DCI and DCA groups in the area. Not to mention Drum Corps people from the South (A very Growing area), that might be willing to drive some (from GA, NC, KY, FL, AL) to Nashville as opposed to a Cleveland, Toledo, Charlotte, Memphis or back to Scranton, Pittsburh, Allentown, Rochester.

BUT. It still takes someone willing to take a BIG CHANCE, with a lot of money, to make a BID. I do hope that this moving every 2 years is GOOD for DCA. That more place's get to have the oppertunity to host it in our "DCA World".

Vanderbilt would never happen!

As much as I'd personally like to see a move to the Midwest, I don't think the fan support or knowlege of DCA is at a level that would support a championship finals. Certainly, people from my area of the country are learning about DCA. This is absolutely vital to the success of Cincinnati Tradition, as they grow their corps. What we in Cincinnati call the "Tri-State", has a large contingent of DCI ageouts. The number of DCA participants from this area who commuted to compete in DCA increased, in the 80's and 90's. I think it's going to be a few more years before this region can host a finals event. Now a REGIONAL contest is certainly a logical step in developing an audience base here. Cincinnati sits right in the middle of three regions of DCA. Most commutes are 6 to 8 hours in any direction, to get to a DCA show or member corps. Before a regional show is even possible, I think Cincinnati Tradition has to continue it's current growth and become a consistant, competative corps. To do THAT, the corps must convert the DCI ageouts in the area, to DCA competitors. It's not a daunting task, but it will take some time. In other words, as the Corps grows, so will the fan base that we require in order to support a regional or finals bid. I would imagine the same requirements apply to the South and Central DCA corps, as well.

Just my take on the subject. :smile:

• Like 1

As much as I'd personally like to see a move to the Midwest, I don't think the fan support or knowlege of DCA is at a level that would support a championship finals.

I agree with my good friend and Kiltie brother on this aspect. Awareness of, and fan base is of great importance and although the Midwest has a strong following for the drum corps activity (in general), the awareness and fan support of DCA corps from out of the Midwest area is thin; not because of the strong quality of many of the corps themselves from out of the Midwest area.....but rather due to the lack of familiarity of the corps and the terrific product many put on the field.

I do know there are "pockets" of awareness, appreciation and support in the Midwest; one being Racine itself......probably one of the most drum corps savvy areas in the world, and Wisconsin itself is a beautiful area. But still if the vast majority of the DCA fan base that follow the bulk of the corps is several hundreds of miles away....will they travel? That is a question I cannot answer.

I sense in the best interest of DCA itself, keeping the World Championship in the general eastern United States is a wise move at this point in time as it offers less risk.

• Like 2

I sense in the best interest of DCA itself, keeping the World Championship in the general eastern United States is a wise move at this point in time as it offers less risk.

This statement is the single most SMARTEST reply to this thread ive read so far.

Jay

Oh, don't get me wrong. I understand the "NEED" for All the events to be "FULL of Paying FANS". Having it in a Proven place like Rochester. (OR, even better for ME. North Jersey or Philadelphia would be Fantastic for me and many, many other NE Fans.)

Just was saying how a place like "Nashville" that is:

a good Tourest area,(with lots of Hotels and other things to see and do),

a place where marching band is Big,

a place that has BOTH a DCI and a DCA group there,

a place with Many good Stadiums,

a place out of the NE yet close enough to drive.

"MIGHT" -- be a good place, " if " a bid could be made.

Edited by 2B or not 2B
  • Like 1

a place with Many good Stadiums,

While you are correct...Nashville does have some very good stadiums. Vanderbilt and Titans Stadium (Nashville tax payer stadium) will never happen.

That leaves areas outside of Nashville to pool from. MTSU is a great stadium and does very well with the DCI traffic in terms of Hotels and motels but its a good 40 min commute from the airport.

Atlanta would be a much better choice in the South East.

While you are correct...Nashville does have some very good stadiums. Vanderbilt and Titans Stadium (Nashville tax payer stadium) will never happen.

That leaves areas outside of Nashville to pool from. MTSU is a great stadium and does very well with the DCI traffic in terms of Hotels and motels but its a good 40 min commute from the airport.

Atlanta would be a much better choice in the South East.

You're missing TSU's campus entirely. And I bet you could get support from them to host.

ALLENTOWN.....

• Like 7

What about that new soccer stadium over in Harrison, New Jersey?