DCA Accepting Bids For 2014, 2015 World Championships

Hi, guys!

No, Lehigh's Goodman Stadium does NOT have lights. I know quite a bit about the complex. I live right across the street! While it's a beautiful setting, there are some issues with ever using Lehigh.

Lehigh is a little "too" protective of their grounds, unless you are an NFL team that is willing to pay a premium for all services. The Eagles bring an incredible amount of state and national publicity to Lehigh. Television trucks are there daily for about a month. Thousands of fans attend practice each day. The team lives on campus and pays Lehigh to feed them. It's a substantial moneymaker for the school, maybe 50 times greater than a drum corps rental would ever be. Yet, even the Eagles don't use Goodman Stadium. They practice behind the field house, on the field hockey surface, or indoors. The design of Goodman Stadium places the front and back sidelines an excessive distance away from the grandstand. Even more than at the renovated J. Birney Crum with it's expanded width track that has had the effect of cutting back on the "in your face" experience DCA fans remember from years ago.

The chairback seats at Lehigh are VERY tight with almost no legroom. I gave up football season tickets because it's so uncomfortable.There would be no alcoholic beverages permitted and access roads in and out are very small. The stadium has 16,000 permanent seats, 8,000 per side.The parking lots are a considerable distance from the stadium front entrance. There is a grass lot behind the scoreboard, but NO spectator entrance there. They force people to crawl uphill to the other end of the stadium. They park handicapped vehicles over by Stabler Arena and bus folks across to the football stadium. The school is very restrictive of tailgating, too. The playing field is natural grass. I predict even a small amount of rain would cause Lehigh to prohibit use of the field at the last minute. Overall, there is a bit of a snobbish attitude at Lehigh. An event like ours is somewhat beneath them, I would think.

The Lafayette Stadium is superior in that the front sideline is much closer, it's artificial turf, has permanent lighting, PLUS about 12,000 seats on the front side. Biggest problem, essentially NO parking. 90% of all spectator parking is done on neighborhood streets. Corps buses would need to be parked on CLOSED public streets. Not likely to be accepted. Again, no alcohol.

The Annapolis facility is FAR better than what is currently available in the Allentown area.

Hershey, PA. Is their stadium too small. Great parking, good access, lots of hotels. Definitely a place to bring the family. A travel dream for Westshoremen!

after 2005, Hershey won't happen, and to be honest, amenities in the stadium aren't all that

The Lafayette Stadium is superior in that the front sideline is much closer, it's artificial turf, has permanent lighting, PLUS about 12,000 seats on the front side. Biggest problem, essentially NO parking. 90% of all spectator parking is done on neighborhood streets. Corps buses would need to be parked on CLOSED public streets. Not likely to be accepted. Again, no alcohol.

Not to mention that the streets are quite hilly. Not quite Allentown-hilly, but still pretty steep in a lot of places.

Not to mention that the streets are quite hilly. Not quite Allentown-hilly, but still pretty steep in a lot of places.

did a show there in 1990 I think. fun atmosphere, but parking was a nightmare

Rutgers would be fun for me. But weird. To only be 1/2 hour away from Finals ..

I can't go home after finals I need to be in the hotel with everyone.

Besides that. Traffic can be tight around there even with the new construction ..

Hotels hmm yeah there are a few..

Practice sites. School Football teams will be getting ready and such..

but you never know.