DCA Accepting Bids For 2014, 2015 World Championships

as the bid specs are not public, we could speculate on what is needed to host the labor day weekend events (for two years),......I will start the list, please add your thoughts.

-Football/soccer stadium with approx 10,000 concert side seats between the 20's for three days that sells beer

-About 40 schools and/or practice fields for three or 4 days

-5000? available hotels rooms at about $100.00 per night rate

-strong (corps related) committee on the ground

I&E venue

Local noise laws.... how late can things go Sunday night at Finals and how early Sunday morning for Alumni show?

Remembering not being able to play on an island in the middle of the Susquehanna River until 12:30PM Sunday because of complaints from downtown churchs in Harrisburg. "Can we at least point the other direction?" ... "No".

Edited by JimF-LowBari

UW-Whitewater 3rd?

Good stadium for spectators but the backside doesn't offer good reverb for backfield playing. Not a deal-breaker though.

as the bid specs are not public, we could speculate on what is needed to host the labor day weekend events (for two years),......I will start the list, please add your thoughts.

-Football/soccer stadium with approx 10,000 concert side seats between the 20's for three days that sells beer

-About 40 schools and/or practice fields for three or 4 days

-5000? available hotels rooms at about $100.00 per night rate

-strong (corps related) committee on the ground

I would say things to do for out of towners who may not want to sit on their butt in a stadium all weekend

lots of food options

a strong chamber of commerce that can help build local support and/or sponsorships

What about that new soccer stadium over in Harrison, New Jersey?

The stadium is beautiful, and it is pretty easy to get to from I280 and Rt 21.

But I'm not sure the area has the rest of the 'stuff' that has been noted...I&E venue, mini-corps, etc...and the hotel infrastructure might not be able to support 5,000 rooms at $100/night.

Not to mention housing for the corps...how many schools in the area would be willing to provide necessary facilities? Unless you are willing to drive an hour or more down and up the Turnpike/Parkway/I80/I280.

There are GREAT restaurants in the area...its a stone throw from Ferry St in Newark where those great Portugese restaurants are located! MMMMMmmmm.

There are GREAT restaurants in the area...its a stone throw from Ferry St in Newark where those great Portugese restaurants are located! MMMMMmmmm.

And a Dino BBQ opening sometime. (Originally it was November 2011, then Spring 2012....let's just say even though today is the first day of Spring 2012, it looks like it doesn't stand a chance of being done by the end of it.)

In the interim, I have the Ironbound...

Metlife stadium in East Rutherford? Obviously the NFL schedule is the deal breaker unless both the Jets and Giants are away that weekend. I can't image the stadium would want to turn down any possible income given how much that new venue cost. Plenty of hotels in the area. Almost a hundred schools in the local (twenty minute radius) area that can each support a corps. Obviously the area is perfect for tourism... and the stadium plays host to both Drum Corps and USSBA Band shows already at other points throughout the year so part of the groundwork is already laid.

Metlife stadium in East Rutherford? Obviously the NFL schedule is the deal breaker unless both the Jets and Giants are away that weekend. I can't image the stadium would want to turn down any possible income given how much that new venue cost. Plenty of hotels in the area. Almost a hundred schools in the local (twenty minute radius) area that can each support a corps. Obviously the area is perfect for tourism... and the stadium plays host to both Drum Corps and USSBA Band shows already at other points throughout the year so part of the groundwork is already laid.

Lets be honest, DCA can't afford MetLife Stadium. There was only 1 weekend this season when it was not in use for football and in pre-season there is always the potential of a Saturday game for one team and a Sunday for the other. And no, the hotels will not fall into the affordable category, for what some fans consider affordable. The same problems exist that Mike Davis indicated for Red Bull Stadium.

Edited by LegalEagle50

And no, the hotels will not fall into the affordable category, for what some fans consider affordable.

A quick search on hotels.com found almost 40 reputable hotels under $120 per night within ten minutes of the stadium. There were a good 20 hotels under $100.00. And that is list price without the negotiating power that DCA can bring to the table. 5000+ rooms spread out over 15 hotels is a lot of power.

If one was attempting to be as financially cautious as possible, one could even find hotels such as a Super 8, Motel 6, and Days Inn for $65 a night within 30 minutes of the stadium. All highway travel.

Edited by irishbugle