1992 Cadets of Bergen County is DCI.org Download of the Week

Appreciate your effort to keep stuff fresh. Most people would probably have picked a different segment which is exactly why it's cool that you picked this one. Sometimes it's good to be kicked out of the familiar -- makes you look at things with new perspective.

You should be my director of public relations. :worthy:

I think 1992 had, to this day, the deepest and best/most talented Finals lineups in DCI history. If you haven't picked up a DCI audio bundle - this is the one to start with.

This Cadets show was right in the time (along with the '91 program) where they started to "modernize" their programming and really spread their wings a bit. (So to speak.) I thought their drum section was highly underrated that year as well - they were playing good stuff while hauling butt around the field.

Good choice!

Mike

yep, but oh that first battery entrance

:shutup:

I love this show! It is one of my favourites of all time. Funny how many of my favourites have come from Cadets during non-championship years.

Wasn't that the first time that the Cadets had a female Drum Major? Was her name Joanna Allen (sp)?

I remember thinking how frick'n difficult it must have been to rotate that rectangle while marching backwards at the end of the opener.

Edited by LincolnV
  • Like 1

Man! I always see these posts you make right after I put a record on and don't want to lift the needle as that causes a pop the next time I hear it. (BST 3 side one)

sigh I'll check out your clip after the side is over.

I love this show! It is one of my favourites of all time. Funny how many of my favourites have come from Cadets during non-championship years.

Wasn't that the first time that the Cadets had a female Drum Major? Was her name Joanna Allen (sp)?

I remember thinking how frick'n difficult it must have been to rotate that rectangle while marching backwards at the end of the opener.

Yes and yes to your two questions. And I've heard from the vets that the end of the opener was super difficult. (My first year with the corps was 94). Actually, all the of 92 vets would talk about how physically challenging that show was in general. Just look at the step sizes and the tempos. After the ballad, they were hauling till the end. And the ballad ends around minute 4 or 5. A friend of mine that marched then told me honestly that standing there on Finals night before the show, he still had the thought in his head, "I really wish I didn't have to do this show again." And this guy was the hardest working guy in the corps. Always the first back to his set in rehearsal. That's just how hard the show was. They got their butts kicked that year.

You should be my director of public relations. :worthy:

I don't think DCPs answer to Hugh Hefner needs any PR help. The blondes on each of your arms are all the PR you'll ever need.

This show is a personal favorite. I put it in the category of shows that if they had only had another week to clean they would have won. Demand was off the chart.

Agreed! I place it right there along with if Star and The Cavaliers had another week ... results would be same

Agreed! I place it right there along with if Star and The Cavaliers had another week ... results would be same

The comment about another week is the same I made in the article. The corps' trajectory, coming from 6th place three weeks just three weeks prior, was quite different than the other two corps that were already up there.

<<This second-place show by the Cadets of Bergen County came within half a point of tying the Cavaliers for first place at the 1992 DCI World Championships; remarkable considering the corps placed fifth at the DCI Preview of Champions just three weeks earlier. When I reflect upon witnessing the corps rehearsing at a stop-off site in the Chicago area, a week prior to the World Championships, the grit and determination of the members makes me wonder what might have ultimately happened had the season lasted one week longer.>>

Read more: http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=c6d3a7fc-fcfb-43d6-bc4e-644e4dffd0d4#ixzz1p6NTdRqE

I don't think DCPs answer to Hugh Hefner needs any PR help. The blondes on each of your arms are all the PR you'll ever need.

Perhaps; but they keep leaving me for Charlie Sheen.

The comment about another week is the same I made in the article. The corps' trajectory, coming from 6th place three weeks just three weeks prior, was quite different than the other two corps that were already up there.

A member of the Cavaliers 1992 brass staff once told me that the general feeling among the community of instructors at the time was that given one more *day*, the Cadets may have made it happen.