Any Good Ideas?

Good morning everyone! I'm sitting here with my daughter (a former drum corps member) discussing wedding ideas for her marriage to another former drum corps member. Does anyone have some good ideas for how they can incorporate their DCI experiences into a wedding?

Good morning everyone! I'm sitting here with my daughter (a former drum corps member) discussing wedding ideas for her marriage to another former drum corps member. Does anyone have some good ideas for how they can incorporate their DCI experiences into a wedding?

I suppose a honeymoon on the gym floor is not what you had in mind

Depending where the wedding will be and on what date, you might be able to 'rent' some brass and perc from a local corps to perform.

Or, if former corps members are on the invite list, recruit them to perform?

• Like 5

Thirty years ago I went to a wedding. The bride's family had a family member who marched with 27th, the groom's side had a BostonCrusader, and while they were heated rivals, they found a common activity—bashing North Star.

Well, you can save money on a trumpeter.

If the hijinks that supposedly happen on tour are true, just have the groom's drum corps buddies plan the bachelor party. It may be tame in comparison.

You could plan a destination wedding where everyone travels together on busses that either break down or have air-conditioning and bathrooms that do not work.

You can sell souvenirs to pay for the reception.

Instead of going to a restaurant or hall for a reception,use a catering truck. Tuna fish sandwiches, peanut butter and jelly, bug juice,and one scoop of ice cream will do.

Hire an old schooler and new schooler as wedding planners.They can argue about whether a pipe organ is better than an electronic one, whether the singer should or should not use amplification. If you go the nontraditional route, the old schooler will say the wedding is invalid and if its traditional,the new schooler will tell you are stupid and do not know anything aboutweddings. It will be mild in comparison to the Key of G vs. B-flat debates.

On a serious note, drum corps have wonderful characteristicsthat make them unique. Find out about the traditions of your daughter's formercorps and the corps of her fiancé. Whether it's colors, a song that defines thecorps, or a tradition, I'm sure it can be incorporated, and most importantly, congratulationsto your daughter and son-in-law to be on their engagement!

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 2

My wife and I were both involved in Southwind for years. We both marched 02 and 03 and she was tour manager from 04-07 and I on visual staff from 05-07.

Consequently, we had a lot of drum corps people at our wedding.

We made sure to have our photographer take a picture with all of the drum corps folks in it. It's not often that we all get to be together in the same place. We had a lot of fun adding up the total number of years that every one had been involved in drum corps in the picture.

Mike 'Ivan' Burke and Mike Loeffelholz alone added quite a lot to the total!

Holly,

I am from an all-music background and have arranged performances for small musical organizations. You didn't say where you are from, so I have no I idea what musical organizations you have available to you. My thought would be to keep it small. If, for example, you can find a brass quintet, ideally made up of DC members or players who know DC reportoire, that could give you what you're looking for. If not available and you will settle for beautiful music, try a string quartet.

Keep in mind that depending on the size of the room, a brass ensemble can blow the walls down.

Also I played an off-broadway gig in NYC when I was 15 or 16 and relished the opportunity regardless of pay. A teenaged kid can do a gig and cheaply because $25 is more than 0. You may want to check with the High School, but also local colleges with music programs. Phew, sorry for being long winded. I hope all goes well and you get what you are looking for.

Kevin

Walking out of the church under an arch of crossed sabers could work.........its been done before.

My wife and I met in at a corps camp. We both wanted to acknowledge that corps brought us together but didn't want to get crazy with the reception. Basically we chose the New York Voices version of "Now or Never" as our reception entrance song. It is a neat song and had meaning for us, but no one else there really knew that the corps played that as a closer the year we met.

In telling the Reverend our story during classes, he took some details and used them in the service. I was kinda surprised by that but it did let people know our story. We also had our photographer take a few pics at the reception, her with a corps jacket and me with a corps hat. It only took five minutes and isn't something we share with everyone, but I will share it with some corps friends down the road.

On the occasion my sisters marriage, she asked my brother and I to help with the music. She and her husband wanted drums in the processional in church. What we came up with was four drums (high tenor, low tenor, high bass, low bass all played flat on stands) to play a simple triplet pattern during the entrance. The drums were spread across the back of the church. We started with the high drum at low volume and added a voice each time through the 4 measure repeat. Once all for voices were in we increased volume until the bride and groom were at the alter, and signal from one drummer noted the end of the drumming. It was actually kind of cool. Our only mis-step was that we practiced the night before, but when there were people in the pews we couldn't see each other and had to really listen/look hard for the cue to finish.

There are ways to recognize your corps connections without having a uniformed D and B corps playing Malaguena during the service. Good luck!

Get Brandt Crocker to officiate!

AT THE ALTER, PRESENTING THEIR 2012 PROGRAM "TILL DEATH DO US PART", PLEASE WELCOME...

• Like 8