Phantom Regiment 2012

How do the arrangements sound in the first season post-Shaw?

I heard the full show in february? Nessun Dorma is gorgeous, a very good arrangement of it. the rest.... didn't turn my head. I don't know if it will be quite what we've heard from them recently, but not bad either. I think Don Hill does/will do a great job but IMO Turandot is not great source material for a drum corps show (with exception of Nessun Dorma). BUT ... that was February, I am not confident saying I won't hear it on the field and change my mind completely.

That being said, there are some things that will be very refreshing about don hills arranging.

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2

Well. When your wearing all white... I see why they would want people to be in shape. Not very flattering... and it just doesn't look good.

That being said... I know my weight was big reason why I got cut in 08.

And then I went to a corps in all black...

But I ended up half my size then... and would have looked great in all white.

• Like 2

What type of horn is the Nessun Dorma solo being played on?

I heard the full show in february? Nessun Dorma is gorgeous, a very good arrangement of it. the rest.... didn't turn my head. I don't know if it will be quite what we've heard from them recently, but not bad either. I think Don Hill does/will do a great job but IMO Turandot is not great source material for a drum corps show (with exception of Nessun Dorma). BUT ... that was February, I am not confident saying I won't hear it on the field and change my mind completely.

That being said, there are some things that will be very refreshing about don hills arranging.

Don Hill is arranging for Regiment now?

I missed that information. Interesting.

the instrument that actually corresponds with the range of the opera aria :tongue: (not mellophone)

I hoped that it wouldn't be a mid voice horn.

Tenor is much better.

That's an Emmert thing. From day 1 they walked in the door, they have been all over members and their weight. They even had 1 on 1s with vets and new members in '05 over their weight.

You can look back to prior to them (shaw still there) and there were plenty of people of all shapes and sizes in the hornline.

Exact same thing happened to me. I got pulled aside at the very first camp by both Dwight and Jay.

I managed to lose quite a bit of weight before the season, but obviously not enough.

1 week into everydays I tore my anterior tibialis. I was a complete band aid for the entire summer and spent the fall after '05 getting two very painful medical procedures.. I spent my entire age out feeling like I had let the entire group down, spent a lot of time on the sidelines, and even won the "band-aid" award at banquet. It weighs on my shoulders greatly. If I had been more prepared, there was a chance I would have never gotten injured, and I will kick myself in the butt for the rest of my life over it.

There is no room for the faint of heart, weak, or out of shape people in modern drum corps. Dwight and Jay were good guys and had (have) the best interest of the corps at heart.

Edited by WPendergrass
  • Like 2

What type of horn is the Nessun Dorma solo being played on?

there is ...... I'm not going to say.

Its done differently than the corps with Shaw's solo in the past.

I'm waiting to see how the current arrangement works on the field before I say anything else. BUT, be assured, some dude is NOT going to be saddled with trying to be equal or better than what Phantom did in the past.

A previous poster stated that Turandot does not have the/enough selections to make a good show. That might be true IF the entire show is based on brass arrangements. Is Phantom only brass? I've heard a couple runthroughts of this year's program. Yes, it will change once everyone is in camp and they start marching and playing. But, in 2012, this is a team event. A great deal is expected of percussion (all sections) and brass.

• Like 1