Phantom Regiment 2012

I like the music and really appreciate the attention to detail regarding the Opera.

One thing I'm still trying to figure out...near the end the horn players rip the guard members uniforms off showing a different outfit underneath.

I get the Princess Turandott/Prince Calaf part before this.....but these new outfits on the guard look much more like "Princess Kardashian" than Princess Turandot. They look like Cocktail Dresses.

• Like 1

I like the music and really appreciate the attention to detail regarding the Opera.

One thing I'm still trying to figure out...near the end the horn players rip the guard members uniforms off showing a different outfit underneath.

I get the Princess Turandott/Prince Calaf part before this.....but these new outfits on the guard look much more like "Princess Kardashian" than Princess Turandot. They look like Cocktail Dresses.

Isn't she also known as the Ice Princess? That kinda reminded me of the dresses, I dunno though.

• Like 1

OK, I will mark you words! LOL

Seriously, this isn't my first rodeo (I'm a dinosaur, hear me RAWR!) so I would be quite shocked if this was the same show in August. If that were the case, I think Rick would need to do some serious house cleaning.

In MY opinion, I think they have designed a very "safe" show this year, and I think this is a GOOD thing. After the turnover they've had on staff in recent years, the best play is to put a solid show on the field without having to add the pressure of trying to win. It will be competitive to a point, give the kids a great experience, reach a few more fans and be a crowd favorite. The corps is going through a major transition with staff departures, which means having to create a new identity musically. Its going to take knowledgeable audiences a while to get used to that.

Overall it's a good show with a lot of GE, however I don't think this show has the design potential to win a championship (nor does it need to), but if they do win, it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong. If they do, good on them!

It's June, less then a week into the season. They will be fine.

For the most part, the staff has been the same for a while now. JD was the only one to leave in brass and, yes, the whole percussion group left with Rennick. The visual staff is pretty darn good, and it's showing. Jamey, the KC's, and the rest of the staff are putting out an appropriate, effective visual program. They'll do fine this year.

• Like 3

Isn't she also known as the Ice Princess? That kinda reminded me of the dresses, I dunno though.

Honestly, seeing you mentioned 'Ice Princess', the dresses remind me of what ice skaters wear. Short, sequined, free flowing dresses. I keep looking for ice skates.....wouldn't that take the show to another level!

Edited by rkfdPRphan

I dont think it is a "safe" show and I dont believe they will just be competitive and it is not fair to the kids that are aging out to do that to them, I think this show will get better and better and will be not only a fan favorite but will be in the hunt for a medal in Indy. I have faith that this will be a great year for the Regiment!

• Like 1

so ...if I may, the story goes

princess has many suitors ... princess "picky" ...

suitors must answer 3 riddles (hence the three chords at the begining, the three soloists, and other 3's through out) to get princess hand in marriage

prince (horn player) decides he is ready to do so ... 3 riddles (acts): an opera (in this case in 4 parts)

http://www.regiment.org/programszxsazxcc3ecea423gabhk.cfm#ixzz1wH7ZTdFO

follow story as need be, add drama, and shazam PR '12

what is like ice (blue) burns like fire (passion/love) ... Turandot.

• Like 1

When I first saw Spartacus in person at Mt. SAC I thought the show was very stale and was almost bored by it. We all know how that turned out.

Give it time people. They are, after all, the masters of drama and emotional expression.

Edited by marchingartist
  • Like 3

If you're a Phan then you know things will evolve as the season goes on. Layers will be added, passages will be tweaked and perhaps the odd rewrite, all in accordance with what ever the judges are telling the staff. You know this because PR are the masters of this and do this every year... to varying degrees of success (2009) but mostly for the better (every other year). The comments you post on DCP will reflect this knowledge.

If you're not a Phan or if PR are currently outscoring your favourite corps then you hope this is it and things won't improve. Again, the comments you post here on DCP will reflect that.

Nothing wrong with it, it's human nature. In fact you replace PR with your favourite corps name, you could put most of this comment into any other corps thread and it would apply to them too.

Personally I feel that Phantom Regiment are the fastest moving target in DCI with regard to final placement... good luck to anyone when trying to accurately predict how their season will end. I always go for "better than last year".

What will be will be.

Good result last night 5.5 ahead of SCV & 11 ahead of BK. Keep up the good work!!!

Edited by 3rd Glasgow BB
  • Like 1

.....things have gotten quiet in Phantomland!

So, here is a bump back to page one (for an hour or so at least) and best wishes as you pratice for tomorrow's show in Clovis.

Safe travels!

Oh, and I am lovin' those Billy Blog daily posts - the male assistant conductor riding in the guard bus! Or has that changed? Gotta be every young man's dream!