Phantom Regiment 2012

I loved the first show! Probably my favorite at the moment. The brass book... :worthy: just beautiful all around. my only complaint is the way nessun dorma is constructed. seems a little weak, but then again it is obviously early.

Edited by ShouldveMarchedAgeOut

PR is gonna take it this year, calling it now. They have to add that last piece of music + some visual flourishes (maybe add some technicality to the drill in a few spots) but WOW ... they looked to be in August form already!!

• Like 1

And they are nowhere near being done with this show! I watched ensemble rehearsal last night - - they were already making changes and adding drill. The blog on regiment.org said that the guard relearned 30 pages of drill yesterday, and the final run-through was strong.

• Like 2

Just went to the Fan Network to check out what was available. I clicked on Opening Weekend 2012 (under Spotlight '12 - they are interviewing fans in the stands at Akron) - - and guess what music they chose to play behind the video ????????

Yep - - the opening strains of

TURANDOT !!!!!

Saw the show for the first time tonight. Wow. Absolutely loved it! I agree with other posters that music feels like it could be stronger at the end, but for a first show I was blown away. Every year I get all worked up about how Regiment is going to do, as they have always been my favorite corps. I am very excited about the possibilities for this show. Add in some degree of difficulty and I believe this show is a legitimate contender. Way to go Regiment!!!

The show's gonna be a beast... but I'm not certain a flugel's the right voice choice for the solo in Nessun Dorma....no power behind it -- might be because of the key it's in -- it's so low it barely cuts through. I could see a high bari or trumpet...even a Frenchie (now wouldn't THAT be something to see in a modern Jr corps?), but the flug just didn't do it for me.

But its only June.....

• Like 1

I loved the first show! Probably my favorite at the moment. The brass book... :worthy: just beautiful all around. my only complaint is the way nessun dorma is constructed. seems a little weak, but then again it is obviously early.

Beautiful sounds, as always. I have to agree with your Nessum Dorma comment. They build and build, but seem to cut off the first possible climax a bit too short. It's a bit of a let down, then they start over. Hmmmm...

The show's gonna be a beast... but I'm not certain a flugel's the right voice choice for the solo in Nessun Dorma....no power behind it -- might be because of the key it's in -- it's so low it barely cuts through. I could see a high bari or trumpet...even a Frenchie (now wouldn't THAT be something to see in a modern Jr corps?), but the flug just didn't do it for me.

But its only June.....

In the early camps it was on bari. Not sure they should've changed it.

In the early camps it was on bari. Not sure they should've changed it.

They can always change it back. I remember how very near the end of 93 Star had a lick that was originally played by the sops (10:47 on the video), but it was moved to the mellos...and bringing it down from the much higher register of the sops (who were playing it above the staff) REALLY made it work better.

In Regiment's case, I DO think the ND solo would sound better in a higher register.